Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iphone 5s won't play local files.

Solved!

iphone 5s won't play local files.

So I have a few local files on my playlist, when i click them it "plays" them but no music and no green status bar.  I just went from a 4s to 5s and now the 5s won't play local files but the 4s is fine.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Don't have a 5S at the moment, so can't confirm it, but a few things.

1) Try a quick reinstallation of the app just to see if that helps.

2) Are there any specific steps to reproduce it? Or do you just have to play a local file.

2) And if anyone else comes here with the same issue, please press the 'Me too!' button and post your device and OS.

Thanks,

Anthony 🙂

P.S. What do you think of the 5S? Been thinking about getting it but it's a lot of money to spend on the wrong thing!

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Don't have a 5S at the moment, so can't confirm it, but a few things.

1) Try a quick reinstallation of the app just to see if that helps.

2) Are there any specific steps to reproduce it? Or do you just have to play a local file.

2) And if anyone else comes here with the same issue, please press the 'Me too!' button and post your device and OS.

Thanks,

Anthony 🙂

P.S. What do you think of the 5S? Been thinking about getting it but it's a lot of money to spend on the wrong thing!

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Reinstall works fine for me 🙂

Thanks 😉

reinstall doesnt for me i have a mixed playlists of local and spotify files the phones shows that the music has copied over but when you hit play just silence

Tagging. I'm having the same problem. I recently did the latest iOS update, so maybe that's why? Before I would get a message telling me to verify my local files by connecting to the same wifi as my computer hosting the music. Now I get nothing, and local files don't play.

Hi @etinker - Just checking in here. Are you still having trouble playing those local files? 

If so, please confirm the app version you've currently got installed and we'll continue troubleshooting--thanks!

I've just moved to an iPhone 5S and am having the same problem.  Any local files will not play on the mobile.

I hadn't synced my music via itunes to the new phone (thought I wouldn't need it any more with Spotify).  So I synced via itunes, deleted spotify from the phone, reinstalled spotify, set the playlists to offline...and now the local files play!

I am having some problems syncing my local files to my Ipod Touch 5g (iOS 7.0.4). When I select multiple local files to import to the desktop app, the files will import, except that no matter how many files I import there is always exactly one file that will show a time of 0.00. The track will still play on the desktop, but when I move it to a playlist to make it available for offline listening on mobile, it will show grayed out and not play on the mobile app. For example, if I import 3 files and then add them to a playlist for offline, 2 of the files will sync just fine on the mobile app, if I import and sync 4 only 3 will work, etc.

I checked out the boards, but I didn't see any posts where people were having this particular problem. I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem, but the files I imported were wma files that I converted to mp3 using iTunes. However, I used this method to import and sync most of my local files and haven't had any problems until now. Would greatly appreciate advice. Thanks.

Have you tried reinstalling spotify on your touch?

Thanks for the suggestion, but i finally solved my issue. I reinstalled Spotify on my laptop and removed WMP from my watch folders and now I am only using my iTunes folder to import local files. Then I deleted the playlist on Spotify desktop app that contained all of my local files, created a new playlist and drag/drop my local files in the new playlist. Re-synced to my Ipod, offline and streaming works fine now.

I guess the original wma format on my old local files was causing some error, not sure. That is why I had to use iTunes to convert to mp3. When I used WMP to rip all of my CDs many years ago, I had no idea it would cause me such a headache now. I have spent countless hours trying to sync all of my music across different media players and formats. Now I intend to use Spotify as an all-in-one player and subscription service. I buy all of my music on Amazon and so far it has worked seamlessly with Spotify. I have to give kudos to iTunes and I will still keep iTunes on my laptop just in case. It would be nice if Spotify had a format converter like iTunes.

Spotify is primarily a music streaming service - handling local files at all is something of a bonus 🙂 I'm not sure why .wma files would have caused a problem since spotify just ignores them but I'm glad to hear everything is working for you now 🙂

Reinstall worked great : )

5S is great esp in a Otterboxx Commuter box.

hi meredith,

the local files still wont play on my iphone 4s. Ive tried every single solution posted on this forum and others. do you know what the problem is ? dont know why it hasnt been fixed.

I've just switched from an iPhone 4 to a 5 and have run into the same problem - all files synced, local files won't play. They appear in the playlist, have a green arrow showing they're synced, but when I press one to play it's just silence.

I will try reinstalling the app later today but come one, the original post here is a year old - fix this problem already Spotify!

It seems they leave bug resolutions/work-arounds to the community and don't actually fix anything.
I wish I could love this app - such a great concept - but the execution is severely flawed and not improving.

Suggested posts