Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

problems with GM infotainment system

Solved!

problems with GM infotainment system

The spotiy app in my GM truck doesnt work unless I disconnect my phone from bluetooth then the spotify app works but then I cant take or place calls through the trucks bluetooth feature. I have deleted and re installed both apps twice and it hasnt fixed my problem. Does it have something to do with the auto play feature now built into the spotify app? help! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Update: After several hours of investigation and problem determination, and many emails with Spotify support, the problems outlined in my post above turned out to be two separate issues, each with their own possible solution.

Issue One – GM Infotainment System - Unable to Connect to Built In Apps:

In order to enjoy GM’s built in Infotainment Spotify app you must have GM’s 4G LTE Wi-Fi  hotspot activated - at a significant additional cost.  According to GM’s documentation it specifies “Downloading and using in-vehicle apps requires internet connectivity which can be accessed with a data plan through the vehicle’s built in 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot if equipped.”  In my situation I refuse to pay GM for a hotspot, along with the cost of Spotify premium. 

If you want to see how the built in Spotify app should work see this link -> https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/21/17145136/spotify-app-cadillac-now-available-features-music-stream...

GM documentation further states that in lieu of their built-in hotspot you can use a mobile device to connect to the internet via USB or Bluetooth tethering.  While I could successfully tether my cell phone with the infotainment system, I was still unable to connect to the built in Spotify app.

Bottom line, in order for the built-in Infotainment Spotify app to work, an internet connection, via one of the 2 ways mentioned above, is required.  If this information had been prominently displayed it would have saved a lot of hours of frustration.

Issue Two – Unable to Stream Spotify, Via Bluetooth, From My Mobile Device to the Infotainment System

Normally I can pipe external music apps (like Pandora) installed on my mobile device to the truck’s infotainment system but Spotify refused to work this way. Only silence.

This issue resolved itself possibly due to the numerous cell phone reboots, and/or clean Spotify installs on my cell phone.  In my research I came across a post where someone who had the same problem said it was resolved by enabling Spotify’s permissions (Camera, Contacts, Microphone and Storage.)  For now I have enabled them all in the Spotify app and this might be the reason why Spotify now connects to my Infotainment system via Bluetooth.

On Android you can set the permissions by going to Settings – Apps and Notifications – See All apps – find Spotify and tap it – select Permissions and enable them.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Sorry this isn't answer - just a me too. I have been having issues similar to this where not only will it skip like a scratched CD, it doesn't always play through the Bluetooth like it should. Had it happen the other day for the first time and again today where it'll show it's playing - nothing out of the ordinary - but the sound is the same as if someone was on the phone with you in the car (best way I can describe the sound). I'll close the app and then the "Call Ended 00:00:00" will show up on the screen as if I was making a phone call and it'll just happen again. I've done the delete and redownload too. I thought it was my phone having issues but I now believe the app has some serious bugs. Hopefully Spotify can fix this. 

Hey @Cjmccarthy2 and @peter_craig45,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community - we'll be happy to help 🙂

@Cjmccarthy2 - could you describe what happens when your phone is paired to your infotainment system and you try to play Spotify?

Also, could either of you let us know if:

• Spotify works when connecting to another device via Bluetooth
  • you started to experience this issue after a recent update?

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your replies 🙂

I signed up for the 3 month trial of Premium in order to play Spotify in my 2019 GMC Canyon with GM’s Infotainment system.  Previously I enjoyed Spotify Free on my desktop.

The Spotify App is built into the Infotainment system, requiring Spotify Premium, and accordingly I installed it. I logged in with my email and password (same ones used on my desktop & cell) and the Infotainment system just shows a small green rotating circle, eventually followed with a “failed to connect” message – “try again.”  Going to the audio screen to launch Spotify it says user not logged in.

Spotify Premium works just fine on my desktop.  I have installed Spotify on my cell phone (Pixel 2 XLS) and here too it works just fine.

I have already spent quite a bit of time doing PD (Problem Determination), including trying everything suggested in these forums.  Still no cigar.  For example;

-Uninstalled/reinstalled the Infotainment Spotify app

-Revalidated my email address     

-Logged out of all Spotify devices

-Uninstalled/reinstalled Spotify on my cell

-Tried to play Spotify via Bluetooth (other Bluetooth apps like Pandora & Amazon

Music work fine)

-Tried a direct cable connection from my cell

-Re-paired my cell phone

-Shut down Bluetooth

-Tried many combinations with my cell with Bluetooth and/or connected by cable     with Spotify installed or not installed on my cell. Still no cigar.

Note: I do not use Android Auto or Car View.  I have many screen shots if anyone would like to see them.

While this old guy really loves Spotify, I will not renew after the trial ends unless this is resolved.

Help! Thanks

Marked as solution

Update: After several hours of investigation and problem determination, and many emails with Spotify support, the problems outlined in my post above turned out to be two separate issues, each with their own possible solution.

Issue One – GM Infotainment System - Unable to Connect to Built In Apps:

In order to enjoy GM’s built in Infotainment Spotify app you must have GM’s 4G LTE Wi-Fi  hotspot activated - at a significant additional cost.  According to GM’s documentation it specifies “Downloading and using in-vehicle apps requires internet connectivity which can be accessed with a data plan through the vehicle’s built in 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot if equipped.”  In my situation I refuse to pay GM for a hotspot, along with the cost of Spotify premium. 

If you want to see how the built in Spotify app should work see this link -> https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/21/17145136/spotify-app-cadillac-now-available-features-music-stream...

GM documentation further states that in lieu of their built-in hotspot you can use a mobile device to connect to the internet via USB or Bluetooth tethering.  While I could successfully tether my cell phone with the infotainment system, I was still unable to connect to the built in Spotify app.

Bottom line, in order for the built-in Infotainment Spotify app to work, an internet connection, via one of the 2 ways mentioned above, is required.  If this information had been prominently displayed it would have saved a lot of hours of frustration.

Issue Two – Unable to Stream Spotify, Via Bluetooth, From My Mobile Device to the Infotainment System

Normally I can pipe external music apps (like Pandora) installed on my mobile device to the truck’s infotainment system but Spotify refused to work this way. Only silence.

This issue resolved itself possibly due to the numerous cell phone reboots, and/or clean Spotify installs on my cell phone.  In my research I came across a post where someone who had the same problem said it was resolved by enabling Spotify’s permissions (Camera, Contacts, Microphone and Storage.)  For now I have enabled them all in the Spotify app and this might be the reason why Spotify now connects to my Infotainment system via Bluetooth.

On Android you can set the permissions by going to Settings – Apps and Notifications – See All apps – find Spotify and tap it – select Permissions and enable them.

Hope this helps.

Hey @Retiredgeek2.

Thanks for posting those solutions to the thread, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner - we're glad to hear that you were able to get to the bottom of this.

Keep us posted and let us know if you continue to experience problems with Issue Two - we'll think of what else we can suggest 😉

Suggested posts