Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Devices" menu and local files sync disappeared

Solved!

"Devices" menu and local files sync disappeared

Hi,

I read that Spotify has "temporarily" removed support for a computer to sync manually added local files to a mobile device. I rely heavily on this feature and it is now gone. Is there an estimated time of return for this functionality? 

I don't understand how you can spontaneously remove a crucial feature like that for millions of users who pay monthly for the service. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The devices section will be coming back in a future update.

In the meantime:

You won't be able to see an indication in the desktop client that the device is paired with the desktop client. But as long as they both are on the same WiFi network you should be able to trigger the local files sync by toggling the offline toggle on the playlist on your phone. Just make sure all your local files are in the playlist you switch to offline in the desktop app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

The devices section will be coming back in a future update.

In the meantime:

You won't be able to see an indication in the desktop client that the device is paired with the desktop client. But as long as they both are on the same WiFi network you should be able to trigger the local files sync by toggling the offline toggle on the playlist on your phone. Just make sure all your local files are in the playlist you switch to offline in the desktop app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

but it does not sync local files!!

i have some songs that are not on spotify (guess which artist :)) and i cannot hear them on the iphone.

i tried dragging the files into spotify and they don't add...

i am so angry, i am seriously tempted to delete my premium sub 😞

Unfortunately, that's not possible at this time. I got a new phone and cannot configure the device to sync local files with my laptop because the new phone was obviously never paired. 

"Future update" is vague. Will this update be available in a few days, weeks or months? 

@ingdave wrote:

but it does not sync local files!!

i have some songs that are not on spotify (guess which artist :)) and i cannot hear them on the iphone.

i tried dragging the files into spotify and they don't add...

i am so angry, i am seriously tempted to delete my premium sub 😞

Me too.

This is a major step backward.

Purely for controlling which playlists are available offline on my Android phone, being able to browse in the desktop client and tick one box for each of many playlists was a really useful feature. Now I have to manage offline playlists on my phone, going into each individual playlist one at a time to select offline.

Whose bright idea was this to make the system less usable and more annoying!

Suggested posts