Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Liked Songs" Playlist automatically updated with songs from newly downloaded albums?

"Liked Songs" Playlist automatically updated with songs from newly downloaded albums?

Plan

Premium

Country

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 12.3.1

My Question or Issue

Just woke up to the "updated" ui and I have some concerns...  I spend a lot of time in remote areas with spotty cell service so I almost exclusively shuffle/listen to all of my downloaded songs/albums using what used to be called "Songs" in the last version.  Now I'm seeing "Liked Songs".  wth is this? The number of songs showing up in this "Liked Songs" seems too low to me.

Will this "Liked Songs" playlist automatically update when I download an album for offline use? If not I'm going back to Apple

I've searched but haven't found answers.

Edit to add: I just downloaded a couple albums and the song count in my "Liked Songs" playlist remains the same. This is very disappointing as I'm an old who uses the app as if it's an Ipod or whatever. 

Is there an easy workaround? I just want to download stuff for offline useage and shuffle it all without having to create a playlist.

7 Replies

Hello, 

Liked Songs just replaces the Songs tab. It should update when you add a new album to the playlist. You can no longer add an album to your liked songs by simply clicking the heart button; this button will just add the album to you "Albums" tab. To add the songs to your library, click the three dots in the upper right hand corner, and click "Like All Songs." 

That's what I was afraid of.  I don't want to have to "like all songs". If I'm downloading an album it should be implied that I "like" it. Replacing the "Songs" part of the library with a playlist that I have to keep updating is IMO just stupid.  Seriously, how is this an upgrade? SMDH

I really don't want to go back to Apple, but this might be a deal breaker for me.

Could you replace your normal process of clicking download with clicking "like  all songs," and instead having your liked songs playlist set to download?  This way you won't have to manually update the playlist. It should be virtually the same, if I am understanding correctly. 

Ah, thanks. Your suggestion does add it to the playlist, but then it won't show up if I search "Albums" in my library unless I download it.  It does however show up if I search "Artists". I should only have to select one option, download or like or whatever, for it to show up in one place were I can shuffle it all. Am I the only person who uses the app as if it's just an ipod/mp3 player?  I don't really do playlists.

I also apparently need to start following all of the bands in my library, otherwise Spotify places them all in a "recommeded artists" list. Oh really? You're recommending artists whose albums I've already downloaded? OK.

Yes, I think the albums and artists tabs you're describing are working as intended, unfortunately. I have been using playlists more often now, but I used to just shuffle my library together mostly, so I know the frustration here. If you use "like" instead of clicking the download button, it should auto update on your liked songs playlists (one place for all your stuff to show up in, like you're saying). You can then filter your liked songs playlists by pulling down on the screen and selecting filters, which will allow you to filter the songs by title, artist, album, or date added. 

I don't know why they make you follow artists for them to show up in artists. I don't mind some aspects of this update, but that and only including fully-liked albums in "albums" seems questionable, to say the least. 

I hope this helps some, though I realize it might not be the answer you were hoping for. 

Hey @kream_krebsicle and welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Spotify recently pushed an update to the Spotify users which changes the Your Library UI and the way it works. Check this Spotify Answer to learn more about the changes to Your Library. The Liked Songs folder is exactly the same as Songs, so you need to "like" now with the heart button instead of "save" as it was previously. Basically is just a change of terms for this part.

They're always testing and launching improvements and new features, you can learn more here why.

However, if you don't like the new look, please head over to this idea and add your +VOTE. You can always add your own input in the comments there as well 🙂

If you'd like more info on how the Ideas Exchange works, check more here.

Have a nice day 🙂

Hello, I've created a quick, short script which will query for all of your saved albums, and automatically like all songs from them. The result of this is all of your songs (really all of them) in that single "Liked Songs" location, just like before they broke the UI!

Check it out here: *blip*

Suggested posts