Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Something Went Wrong" (dis)like broken

"Something Went Wrong" (dis)like broken

Hi,

Whenever I try to thumbs up or thumbs down a song on my iOS app, spotify replies with "something went wrong." This glitch is also in tandem with the fact that the player randomly stops at some point during the night, and goes back to the song that I started with, with the exact same up next list as well.

Any help would be appreciate. I'm running the latest iOS and Spotify builds.
26 Replies

I've had the same issue for a while. I had no issue when I had a premium account

Hey guys, 

Sorry to hear this. Does a quick reinstall help at all? https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify.

I've been having this problem for months. Resetting my phone will let me thumbs up/down once then it does it again. Re-installing does the same thing.

Having the same issue as well. If I reset it works but then stops again.

Same issue here. iPhone 6. Have reinstalled, rebooted. Unable to thumbs up or down. Any fix on this?

Same thing here.  Resetting iPhone helps for a bit (30 minutes, maybe 2-3 likes or dislikes).  Uninstalling and reinstalling app helps for 1 like/dislike.  Please correct this.  Huge bummer.

I have the exact same issue. Any chance this will be fixed in the next version? Grace, can u comment? Is it a particular phone that has this problem? I have an iPhone too.
Thanks

I've had this bugging me for a while but may have found the solution.............

In the iPhone [Settings], look in the [Spotify] section and enable the 'Background App Refresh'. All seems well again!

IOS 8.0.2

IMG_2060.PNG

That did not fix the issue. Still having the same problem.

iPhone6 IOS 8.0.2

Yeah, it looks like i'm back where I was too. There was definately something in it though. It worked for the rest of the day after switching that over........

I'm having the same issue, iPhone 5S, latest version of iOS. Doing a clean reinstall fixes the problem only temporarily, then it goes right back to "something went wrong". 

I have exactly the same issue. iPhone 6 Plus - iOS 8.0.2 - almost every time I try to like or dislike a song during radio listening I get the error message "Something went wrong".

IMHO would a more specific error message help a lot.

Without this feature Spotify gets really useless, fast!

btw: I really love Spotify!

Interestingly about 30 Minutes after I wrote my comment here, the functionality now works again. Cool!

I am having this same problem and has been happening for weeks. It even happened before upgrading to IOS 8. I am using an iPhone 4S. Restarting the phone will help but only for about 30 minutes. Re-installing the app only help temporarily too but it started doing it again after about a day. Background app refresh is on too but doesnt make a difference. SPOTIFY PLEASE FIX THIS! The radio/playlist function on the app is pretty much useless without the thumbs up/down working properly. A more specific error would be helpfull too other than "Oops something went wrong." Ok great. WHAT WENT WRONG?!?!?!?!

This is seriously annoying. Any feedback from Spotify on the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing but this fix does not work.

I have exactly the same problem.  I posted in a separte thread weeks ago with no response from Spotify whatsoever.  Unfortunatley no one from Spotify seems to care.  This is turning into a very bad experience.  At the point where going back to Pandora is looking like the only viable option.

Same issue here. I have the "Premium" version and really feel less and less attraction to their app. The "like" function only works once in a while and the radio seems to always goes back to the same songs after a little bit. This is really annoying. I have reinstalled the app a few times and even changed my iPhone. Doesn't help at all.

A lot of my friends using Spotify are in the same situation and we all think that we will most likely explore other possibilities very soon - Pandora was WAY better in term of radio (even with the free version and when I was using it 2 years ago... might have improved since).

T-mobile is also offering deal on Rhapsody... not sure how good this is.

If the issue is not resolved by the end of the month I am canceling my membership and switching over to something else.

Good to hear that this is not isolated to non-premium members.  After posting to Spotify's support forum back on 9/18 and receiving no response I finally tweeted @spotify #spotify to try and find out what is going on.  So far there has been no acknowledgement by Spotify that the problem is a valide problem.  (As almost everyone has reported stopping/starting the app, uninstalling/reinstalling the app, doing a power-off/power-on reset of an iPhone does NOT work.)  It would help a lot if Spotify would acknowledge that there is a problem with the Spotify app and it is not some random user error.

Suggested posts