Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify keeps pausing after 10ish seconds

spotify keeps pausing after 10ish seconds

Hello,

I got this problem with spotify the last few weeks and cant seem to fix it.
It just stops playing after 10ish seconds, sometimes its longer, sometimes shorter.
I tried the following solutions:

-Remove app, clear cache, install app
-Above but the thorough one

-Logging off all devices

It keeps coming back, and its on IOS device and windows desktop.

I have spotify premium with family pack.

Any solutions?

8 Replies

Hey @VosD

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!

Check if any power saving settings or data cleaning apps run active on your iOS device and disable these. Such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity. We also suggest accessing the app settings and making sure all Permissions are enabled for Spotify. 

On your PC, check the hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

If you still experience this across different devices after trying the steps above the issue might be account-related. Try logging in with a different Spotify account on your device to check if it'd make a difference. If it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next. 

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Thanks for the answer, i tried the steps you described but didnt work for me so i kept looking.
Turns out i had some people leeching of my family account, i removed them and changed my password. logged off on all device and logged back in. Problem seems to be gone now!
So people when u get the same problem, go check the family section!

Hey @VosD,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

Glad to hear it worked out and you can enjoy your favorite jams again.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

i'm also having the same issue, but since i am on desktop, what do i do? i changed my password, and signed out of all devices. any other advice? 

another thing happening is spotify skipping my songs when i am not pressing anything, it skips about 6 or 7 songs in a row. Any solutions to this as well?

Hey there @0ipfjs9142m4emfj0suk

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, is this happening across devices or only on your PC? 

If this happens across devices, we'd recommend taking a look at this FAQ and following the steps you can find there. This will ensure that your account is secure and that you don't experience any of these interruptions. 

If this happens only on your PC, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app on your PC to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I am having this identical problem and it just started today. Any song I played was pausing every 10 seconds - consistently. This happened on my Windows 11 laptop using either Chrome or Edge browsers, or using the app installed from the Microsoft Store, or using the app on my iPhone. This happened whether on my home broadband (565 Mbit down consistently, avg latency 28 ms) as well as when I was out driving with good coverage of 5G using the iPhone. I'll cover the steps I took, and I'd REALLY like feedback on what might have happened to cause this, and which step I took was the one likely to have fixed the issue.

1. I signed out of my account on all devices. After signing back in on my phone, the problem resumed. Any song I played paused after 10 seconds. The same was true in a browser or in the Windows app.
  2. I signed out again and signed in via Chrome with my wife's account. (Note: I maintain a premium family account) I could play any song in her playlist and there was no issue. Songs played smoothly without a pause. Note: I was signed in with my credentials in the Windows app, so there was no link between the Windows app and the Chrome browser that I could see.
  3. I signed back in again with my creds via Chrome. The pause issue resumed. The desktop app displayed that the song was playing using the Chrome browser.
  4. I changed my password. This had no effect - the pause issue persisted. I re-logged into Spotify on my Chrome browser, Windows app, and iPhone.
  5. I uninstalled the Windows desktop app using the instructions above. Initially this appeared to resolve the issue. Songs began playing smoothly without a pause from either iPhone or Chrome. Smoking gun? Only way to know for sure was to reinstall...
  6. I reinstalled the Spotify app from the Microsoft Store. As soon as I logged into it, songs began pausing again whether I played them in the Windows app, iPhone, or Chrome on my PC.
  7. I signed out of the Spotify app on my PC. Pausing continued initially in Chrome, though not every 10 seconds.
  8. I uninstalled the Spotify Windows app again. I counted a pause at 10 seconds, then 21 seconds, and after I skipped to a new track it continues to play smoothly.
  9. I switched an actively running song from Chrome on my PC over to my iPhone. It continues to play smoothly.

Right now I appear to be able to play songs but I also don't have the Windows app installed, which isn't preferred. I'd like to use that in Windows instead of having a browser tab open. What else can I do?

Hey there @asaraludu,

Thanks for posting in the thread and kudos for the troubleshooting you've tried so far!

Could you try keeping the app uninstalled on your PC, and then sign into your account on another Windows computer to see if the same thing happens there?

If possible, you can also ask a friend or family member to log into their own account on your PC, to check if they encounter the same issues as you.

Let us know how it goes.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi again. Was traveling for work so didn't have a lot of time to test again until now. I did have a family member log into my PC with their account, as you'll see above in step 2. There was never an issue with pausing while using her account.

While traveling, I just used Spotify from my phone without issue. Returning home, I've reinstalled the Spotify app after a reboot, and after a few hours of playing music I only experienced 1 pause initially. So far it's been OK since. I have no indication what resolved the issue, though this happened one other time maybe a year ago. In that case, I also couldn't determine if anything I did resolved the issue.

Suggested posts