Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

More precise playlist time length!

I can't believe there is not a more precise measure of time in larger playlists. 

Currently spotify will measure the time up to the nearest hour increment. For example a playlist containing songs adding up to 1 hour 30 mins will still only display as 1 hour, until such time as more tracks are added and it becomes 2 hours. Likewise for a day format, it could be 1 day 14 hours but will still read 1 day. WAY OFF.

It would be SIMPLE to change to a reading of XX Days HH:MM:SS for example.

Please implement this!!!

This was a great idea and it has now been implemented.
Comments
fourtwoseven

For the love of all the is holy, please implement this! 

Bengalack

I've been expecting this to happen for years now. Nothing. So I finally looked things up on this site. Added my kudos! It is ridiculously hard to plan playlists for training, parties or whatever that needs some insight that involves time.

Other than that, keep up the good work 🙂 SPotify is the best!

-long time user!

nit89ram
Love the idea and would also like to see something similiar implemented in the mobile version as well.

If you have some knowledge about Linux bash or Cygwin you can ask the Spotify API to find out the exact playlist length. Script with comments is below. Adapt it to your needs if you want....  

Spoiler

#!/bin/sh

# 1. Copy script and store to something like calculate_playlist_length.sh
# 2. Make runnable by using "chmod a+x calculate_playlist_length.sh"
# 3. Copy-paste Spotify playlist to textfile, e.g. playlist.txt. It'll look like...
#
# http://open.spotify.com/track/4dktCZaRbq6g72FAabElVc
# http://open.spotify.com/track/55CnX5GFKgqnNu6oeq84hU
#
# 4. Put text file and script into same folder
# 5. Run by typing "./calculate_playlist_length.sh playlist.txt
# 6. Result will by like:
#
# Calculating...
# Playlist has length of 107 min 11.520 secs...
#

help () {
echo $1
echo "USAGE `basename $0` [Playlist]"
exit 1
}

if [ $# != 1 ]
then
help "Too few arguments"
fi

echo "Calculating..."

FULLLENGTH=0
while read LINE
do
TRACK=`echo $LINE | sed -e "s/.*\///g"`
LENGTH=`curl "http://ws.spotify.com/lookup/1/?uri=spotify:track:"${TRACK} | grep length | sed -e "s/<[^>]*>//g" -e "s/[ ]*//g"`
FULLLENGTH=`echo "${FULLLENGTH} + ${LENGTH}" | bc`
done < $1

MINS=`echo "scale=3;$FULLLENGTH / 60" | bc`
SECS=`echo "scale=0;($MINS - ($MINS / 1)) * 60 " | bc`
MINS=`echo "scale=0;$MINS / 1" | bc`
echo "Playlist has length of ${MINS} min ${SECS} secs..."

DansVision

Another kudos for this one! I teach fitness classes and I NEED to know how many minutes my playlist is exactly. I always have to count out the minutes with a calculator if I want to use Spotify. I end up using iTunes instead since that program has an exact time for the playlist. It's a shame to pay for Spotify every month and not even have this feature.

I really don't understand why someone thought it was a good idea to round out the time in the first place...for anyone using spotify to put together a playlist for a class or other event, precise timing is crucial. The one thing I've found so far that is bad design.

MattSuda

I need this!

ChingBongLewy

Its about time this idea makes it past the under consideration phase...we pay you good money...lets go people!!!!!!

rlinger

Yes, we need this.  Picking out Bicycle Training Workout Lists, and detailed total time is a must. 

mdeal72

I desperately need this as well...I teach fitness classes and really have to have the precise duration for my playlists.