Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Who Me Too'd this topic

[Android Head Unit] Steering Wheel controls (Next, Previous, Pause/Play) don't work on Spotify Lite

Plan

Premium

Country

Romania

Device

Lenovo D1 Car Head Unit (Dedicated Aftermarket Tablet)

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Hello devs and community,

Maybe I am not the only one, hope so, to experience such an issue with buttons from my car's steering wheel while using the official Spotify Lite application, from Google Play, not a random APK found online, installed on my car's Android Head Unit

Using the main Spotify app, I had no issues with those controllers (I wanted to still use that app, but, since the last update, it crashes on launch, however this is another story), but within Lite version, those buttons do not function at all. Maybe it's a bug or it's intended, yet I think this could be patched, right?

Another scenario using the BT (Bluetooth) Audio preinstalled app on the Head Unit. When connecting my iPhone XS Max with iOS 16 on it (maybe this info is useful), using the main Spotify app install on the phone, the controlls are working just fine. I didn't installed the Lite version on the iPhone as well to test this, but I think it should function the same way. Also, FYI - the car is a Subaru Forester SH (third generation), might be helpful as well .

This is my main issue, because I really need those buttons to be responsive while using the Lite version. It's enough wanting to pause a song while driving (it is not safe to do this, but for the sake of the example, make it an emergency move), moving your eyesight to the head unit, as opposed to knowing the position of the buttons on the steering wheel, not focus on the road for just one second and be fatal to someone or cause a terrible accident. Of course, this might be an exaggeration, but it also could be a plausible example. Hope to hear from anyone involved in the Spotify team or others that might have an answer with a solution!

Kind thoughts,
one user with optimism 😃

Who Me Too'd this topic