Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads on Spotify

Solved!

Ads on Spotify

I understand that free accounts should have ads, but you guys play ads that have absolutely no relevance to me. Why don't you guys develop something to detect ads that MAYBE i would be be interested in? OR some kind of thing where I could skip to the next ad avaliable? Maybe....even give us an option to choose from two or so ads?

I just had to sit through an ad that played pretty much a whole Country song...and I dispise Country...also had that same thing happen with some crap Mariachi music.

Plus your ads are SO LONG...ugh!

I really like everything else about Spotify...but you ad choices are the worst. I would rather listen about how toothpaste helps fight cavities.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You could have a look in the Idea Exchange, to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion, and if not post your own.

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea.

Community Ergo Sum

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Marked as solution

You could have a look in the Idea Exchange, to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion, and if not post your own.

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea.

Community Ergo Sum

This relevant ads system should be a live option from Spotify start eg. first day...

To save anyone else the time it took me to realize this:

Spotify knows, at least on a desktop, that you're muting or turning down your device volume.

It just picks up the ad where it left off when you put your volume back up.

Devishly devious, Spotify! And somewhat alienating to new users.

My original post: The length of ads is bloody absurd. Pandora ads are 15 seconds. Spotify ads are 5 minutes. Obnoxiously long - and the content is odious. Well done Spotify!

You can't be referring to single ads as the invariable length of a Spotify ad seems to be exactly 30 seconds. Even the occasional back-to-back double ad only comes to 1 minute.

So we must be talking the total ad length. Well, 5 minutes comes to 10 ads and even for a full length 80 minute CD I've never seen that many - perhaps about five at the most.

I am referring to individual ads. It might be a bug, because it seems like they're stuck in a loop and keep repeating. Since I never listen to them in full, I can't say for sure if it's really the same 30-sec ad being repeated multiple times - but maybe that's the explanation.

Hey there.

I know how this feel when you need to watch ads...

However I suggest to get Spotify Unlimited or Premium and just say last goodbye for ads.

Hi everyone I am new here just joined in fact. I have a question that may sound stupid but like I said I am new to spotify premium, here goes, I thought that by paying for spotify the ads would not pop up anymore, I am wrong about that aren't I Please let me know about this Many kudos to if you can help me with this question.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Sometimes it can take a while for your premium subscription to be recognised on all your devices.
I would suggest you have a read at and try the steps outlined in this post.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

kimetha - If you log out and in, and sign in with your Facebook details, you should access your Premium.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I have just upgraded to spotify unlimited and still get adverts between tracks. They are spotify adverts. There are supposed to be NO adverts on unlimited. Very annoying when listening to some beautiful Schubert.

@philipsheffield wrote:

I have just upgraded to spotify unlimited and still get adverts between tracks. They are spotify adverts. There are supposed to be NO adverts on unlimited. Very annoying when listening to some beautiful Schubert.

Hey! Welcome to the community 😉 

You won't have any adverts if you are logged into an unlimited account, try logging out and back in again.

Peter

Peter

I'd love to know what kind of trickery you pull that results in mostly 30 second ads with the "occasional" double ad. I get at least four every time, occasionally five. I'm usually fine with ads, but lately when I'm interrupted and I know I'm going to be waiting for almost the length of an entire song before it gets back to my music, I just give up and close the thing down.

@KitchenKnives wrote:

I'd love to know what kind of trickery you pull that results in mostly 30 second ads with the "occasional" double ad. I get at least four every time, occasionally five. I'm usually fine with ads, but lately when I'm interrupted and I know I'm going to be waiting for almost the length of an entire song before it gets back to my music, I just give up and close the thing down.

That does sound like a ridiculous number of adverts, might be worth a quick clean reinstallation of the client and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

Peter

Hey i dont know who you are but mariachi music is great music!

Penguins.jpg

What are the length of the ads? I am sure McDonalds has been going on and on for over five minutes?

@ajs_spotify - The majority of the adverts are 30 seconds. If you are using the desktop client you can see the adverts in your Play Queue (> History) which should show the length. 

Peter

recently it has gotten worse it used to be like a minute of ads every once in a while now im getting like 6 after every song. Im hearing more ads than music

@jaredlew98 Spotify is investigating this. Could you post a screen capture of your play queue > history showing this please?

I'd like to chime in about the character of your ads.  Some ads are quite headphone-friendly, but others were clearly designed for radio, where getting the listener's attention is a priority.  The problem is that when I listen on headphones, I must quickly transition between gentle nature sounds or folk rock to THE ANNOUNCER FOR ADVANCE AUTO PARTS, who SOUNDS LIKE A DRILL SARGEANT. 

I generally remove my headphones when the drill sargeant comes on.  If you could update your ad guidelines so the advertiser realizes that this is not radio, that many listeners are plugged directly into the audio source... that might make the experience more pleasant. 

Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of Spotify! 

Suggested posts