Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I keep Facebook deactivated?

Solved!

How can I keep Facebook deactivated?

Okay, so I want to keep my facebook deactivated, but when I log into Spotify it reactivates my Facebook. Is there a way to keep Facebook deactivated and use spotify?

I don't mind even linking my account with a new facebook account that has no friends added. I just want my current Facebook with all my friends to be deactived for the time being.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Deactivating facebook and keeping spotify without having to get a new acct can be done if you have a premium acct.  you need to log back into facebook so you will have access to your spotify acct.  You then need to create a device password.  click this link to create a device password  http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password  Once you receive an email and create your device password, log out/deactivate facebook, then log into spotify on your device using your new numerical username and password provided. Enjoy!

View solution in original post

54 Replies

EDIT: NO LONGER TRUE. You can now sign up without Facebook. Click "Create an account using my email address" at the bottom of the signup page.

No. You must have an active Facebook account to use Spotify.

Yes I know, but I want to deactive the facebook account that is tied up with my spotify account. Can't I link it with a different facebook account that I don't mind being active?

Or create a new Spotify account and switch over all my starred tracks/playlists? 

You don't have a Spotify account. Your Facebook account IS your Spotify account so you can't delink. Only old users who registered before September 22nd 2011 have Spotify accounts that are not tied to Facebook.

If you want to use a fake Facebook for a while, you can subscribe to your main account's playlists to listen to them. If you want to permanently switch to your fake Facebook, you can copy/paste playlist content like it was text, using Ctrl+C (copy) and Ctrl+V (paste).

To copy a playlist, do this:

- Go to a playlist on your main account and press Ctrl+A to select everything. Then press Ctrl+C to copy.

- Now, log into your fake Facebook and create an empty playlist. Press Ctrl+V to paste.

If you mean that don't share music/Playlists to facebook then go onto Edit/Preferences then uncheck the "Show what I listen to on Facebook" But if you mean like de-link you can't as all new accounts have to be with facebook as that is the new login system.

Also what many users do is have a fake facebook account, Like the above person said, Just sign up for a new facebook account but use it as a fake one for Spotify.

Thanks 

Liam Usher

System Specs:
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz), 4GB Ram DRR3 (800Mhz), Intel 3000 HD Graphics, 500GB HDD at 5400 RPM, 250GB Extra HDD at 5400RPM, WIn7 Home Premium

If I have to keep deactivating my old Facebook account I will be canceling this service. I dont like facebook, if you must link it with some social network either have it run through Twitter or Google+. 

This is an old thread and my answers aren't true anymore. Spotify has made a non-Facebook signup option available since 30 August 2012.

If you signed up with a Facebook account, you have to create a new account. You can do so by logging out of the Spotify website, clicking Sign up at the top right and choosing "Create an account using my email address".

Hello all.  I just deactivated (?removed) my Facebook account from my Spotify account and now I have lost all of my playlists, radio, etc.  The system seems to think I have a free account when in fact I have been a paying customer for months.  This was not my intention whey I deactivated Facebook.  Please tell me I have not lost everything I've worked on in Spotify.

That sounds like you logged in using Facebook after disconnecting so it sees you as a new user when you logged back in.

Make sure you are using a Spotify account, not a Facebook account when you log in. That means you do not type an email in the username field, you type your spotify username there instead.

So are you saying you cannot change your log in details from a facebook account to a regular email?  If this is the case then I am cancelling my subscription and want my last payment back for this month.  

Surely you can edit details somewhere like if you get a new email address.  

Hi clazz - You've got a couple options here. 

First, you'll need to create a new account using your email address: https://www.spotify.com/signup/

Once that's done you can subscribe to your old playlists and upgrade the new account. Just be sure to cancel your original subscription. 

Or, you can get in touch via the contact form and we can help sort this out for you. 

This is an absolute joke.  Didnt you guys think someone would stop using facebook eventually?

I too dont want to use facebook anymore and have everything tied to that account.  This should be an option to delink from facebook.  Your application is junk as of right now.

You just lost a premium customer.  Others should follow suit.  Facebook wont be around forever guys, get smart and find a way without creating FAKE facebook accounts.. Come on thats your solution?

Former Customer,

Kevin

@KevinSal wrote:

This is an absolute joke.  Didnt you guys think someone would stop using facebook eventually?

I too dont want to use facebook anymore and have everything tied to that account.  This should be an option to delink from facebook.  Your application is junk as of right now.

You just lost a premium customer.  Others should follow suit.  Facebook wont be around forever guys, get smart and find a way without creating FAKE facebook accounts.. Come on thats your solution?

Former Customer,

Kevin

I know this is not an ideal solution, but you can migrate to using a non-Facebook account by following the steps outlined in my tutorial here.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

hello, 

i have a premium account with FB, just now i have pay for this month...

so i want to know if there is a way to create a new account and mantain my actually premium subscription, because i want to deactivate permanent my FB account.

Please help me!

@user-removed wrote:

hello, 

i have a premium account with FB, just now i have pay for this month...

so i want to know if there is a way to create a new account and mantain my actually premium subscription, because i want to deactivate permanent my FB account.

Please help me!

Hey 🙂 

You will need to get in touch with the customer services team using the online contact form and they will be able to assist you in migrating over to a new account. 

Peter

Peter

thank you!

but this will solve my problem?

@user-removed wrote:

thank you!

but this will solve my problem?

Yes, they will help you to move over to an account not tied to Facebook so you can then freely deactivate your Facebook 😉 

Peter

Peter

thank you once again!

I am the next person in line. I appreciate your tutorial HOW TO DISCONNECT SPOTIFY FROM FACEBOOK  but this is way too compelcated and time consuming. To connect  Spotify to Facebok it took seconds. Now I am unable to simply de-link in the same simple way. I am closing Facebook rignt now and closing Spotify as well. Good bye. You just lost Premium customer after few years of service.

@michaeljerzy - if you get in touch here one of our support team will be more than happy to help you get set up with a new account. If you get an automated response, reply back to it directly.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Suggested posts