Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My email is being used without my consent.

My email is being used without my consent.

I'm pretty annoyed by this Spotify. This is the second time it's happened. I don't use or want a spotify account yet someone has managed to use my email address to register with your service. Now I keep getting stupid emails from you that I don't want.

First they used my email with the @gmail.com domain. Once I contacted support to have that removed and delete the account (which they said was deleted) the user just used my same email prefix with the @googlemail.com domain.

Spotify, why can't you make this stop. Registering should require confirmation. Changing email addresses should require confirmation.

The user who keeps doing this is cakalikesoreos. Please ban this user for violations (which should be in place on your site - using someone elses email should be a violation of terms) and delete the account.

Please tell me your plan of action for this.

7 Replies

Unfortuantely this isn't something that can be dealt with here on the community. You will need to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to take the appropriate action from there. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Also here on the community, be sure to add your vote to this feature request topic which suggests email verifications.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Well since I did contact them and have gotten no reply here's my solution. Since this user was using my email I reset the password and took over the account. I'll unsubscribe from all emails and never use it. Perfect solution. The luser can't use the account anymore to use my email address and I don't get anymore spotify mails. Should've done that the first time.

A message to spotify:

Email changes requiring verification is standard practice. You've successfully annoyed someone who wasn't even using your service. This is not good publicity for you. I will tell my friends about this and give you bad feedback. If you had verification in place my email would never have been used, I would have no cause to tell people about your service. In the first scenario you are getting bad publicity from me. In the second you are getting no publicity from me. Please take a moment and think about which scenario is more desireable.

I'm out of this forum and done with this service. Any further emails from your main and email domain will be filtered out.

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that this is happening. Just let us know the case # you were emailed when you first got in touch and we'll chase this up for you ASAP. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For Twitter support, find us at @SpotifyCares.

Follow me on Spotify.

Just to confirm, he's not the only one with this issue. Both your service and pandora do not require email confirmation. This is bad form. I have some -wonderful- person with crap taste in music signing up my email address for music services. It's something that shouldn't happen, and wouldn't if you had a simple email confirmation like most reasonable sites.

I'm assuming they don't have access to the email account so teach them a lesson. On Spotify, request a password reset for the email address, then change the password - then they won't be able to use the account.

Peter

Here's the problem with "just use the contact link" to let them know about the problem:

you have to log in to get to the contact link, and if you didn't sign up for an account, you have to create one (or change the password of the one that's using your email).  if you don't want a spotify account, you have to get one to get rid of it. 

Or use this contact form. 😉

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-account/

Peter

Suggested posts