Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random person playing their playlist on my account

Random person playing their playlist on my account

Recently on our family plan there's been a seemingly random person connected to our family account who is playing their own playlist on a speaker that is one we don't own and I can't see how this is possible or how to kick them out. 

I've seen various mentions of similar things happening on Spotify over the last 6 years but apparently no action from Spotify from what looks like a breach of some sort? 

It seems that the random person "Jules Davis" has perhaps added me (and my wife's account) to their playlist or something and I can't remove them or myself from this which definitely doesn't feel right somehow. 

Also, when I view devices in my settings menu, it shows as the speaker and person playing their music but is the only device that doesn't have the 3 dots to edit or remove it. 

Anyone have any ideas what's happening here and how to stop it? 

Plan

Family

Country

UK

Device

Huawei P30 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S21

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

spotify-3.jpg
spoitfy-2.jpg
spotify-4.jpg
3 Replies

Hey @welcomebrand,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

What you're currently seeing is our Group Session on Speaker feature. To find more about it, check out the linked support site article.

Please note that this feature is only available for devices on the same network, so if you're seeing an unknown device/user, we'd suggest securing your internet connection.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you have other questions.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hi, 

That's interesting to know thanks. 

Our network is secure and I don't see any way to remove this person or manage the session though 

Hey @welcomebrand ,

Thanks for your reply .

We'd like to add some insights. When you're connected to a speaker, the app has the option to allow other users to use it and control it if they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. However, you have the option to turn it off.

To do so, on the Now playing view, hit the name of the device currently playing on the bottom left part of the screen. Then, you'll see the option "Multiple people can join and control this speaker" below the speaker's name. Turn it off, and it will prevent other users from joining your session. If someone  already joined the session, it'll be automatically removed.

We'd like you to know another user had similar request, so they posted an idea about it in our Idea Boards:

We think this is a great idea too! That's why we'd suggest adding your vote in the thumbs up icon and subscribing to it in the three-dot menu. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts