Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Solved!

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others. This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long.

spotifyhelp.png
spotifyhelp2.png
928 Replies

They meant it that way. It's not a bug to them, it was an update. They decided that from now on, everyone's account would be set on private listening by default. Each user since the update has to make it public again for their listening activity to appear back on your Friends Activity feed. But most people didn't even know it was public to begin with, and most won't make it public again. Don't expect a fix, nothing's broken in their book. What we're asking for is for them to revert the update. And that's why all we hear aside from our own complaints and bogus "update and reinstall it" pre-made resolution paths is crickets...

Has there been any updates to this? My sister says her listening is set to public and I still cannot see what she's listening to but she can see mine?

I have switched to Apple Music due to this issue being ignored for the last 3 months, because it is the only feature that kept me sticking with Spotify. I think everyone should do the same. So tired of this.

Hi! I'm not sure if this is an issue with people's accounts as I am having the same issue too where I can only see two of my friend's listening activities and I've tried all the steps (logging in and out, reinstalling, restarting, etc.) If many people are having this same issue perhaps it is a Spotify error. 

It's infuriating not seeing people show up on your feed when you know for a fact they have the setting turned on. This should have been fixed by now.

Spotify has to get back to basics, and they have to do this quickly, if you're taking what's happening in the markets to heart. They have to refocus on music, and the interactions that make music happen on this platform. They need to do this now. Once they get this right, everything will fall into place, as these things tend to do. There was some heavy handedness from the executive committee, I'm sure, and such interference, as always, has the potential to rob the thing of its magic, whatever that thing is, it is the magic (in this instance: music) that has the final say on what direction is taken, and whether that has a long term benefit. There is no short term gain to be had here, there is only music. Get back to it, and give it the respect that it deserves. Invite Neil back, get rid of Rogan. Let him join the right wing platform, what was it, does it matter? Focus, guys, focus. Figure it out. I saw an update yesterday that rounded the little corners on my playlist pictures, making them look pretty. Nice. Utterly pointless. Focus. ~ fox

Spotify has to get back to basics, and they have to do this quickly, if you're taking what's happening in the markets to heart. They have to refocus on music, and the interactions that make music happen on this platform. They need to do this now. Once they get this right, everything will fall into place, as these things tend to do. There was some heavy handedness from the executive committee, I'm sure, and such interference, as always, has the potential to rob the thing of its magic, whatever that thing is, it is the magic (in this instance: music) that has the final say on what direction is taken, and whether that has a long term benefit. There is no short term gain to be had here, there is only music. Get back to it, and give it the respect that it deserves. Invite Neil back, get rid of Rogan. Let him join the right wing platform, what was it, does it matter? Focus, guys, focus. Figure it out. I saw an update yesterday that rounded the little corners on my playlist pictures, making them look pretty. Nice. Utterly pointless. Focus. ~ fox

spotify keep asking to give feedback - here is a bleeding feedback 

REVERT THIS UPDATE AND SWITCH EVERYONES FRIENDS SHARING ACTIVITY BACK ON!!!!! 

it is NOT our responsibility to pass on your stupid updates to people. YOU DID THIS, NOW FIX IT!!!!!!! 

True...they have to make this right quickly now cuz it's been months now since this issue has been left unsolved. Hope they fix it ASAP!

Hi @nnekau!

Thank you for bringing up this in the Community 🙂

A few months back we made a change, affecting the privacy setting for the Friend Activity feed.
The default is now set to "Off", but that can always be manually changed from the Spotify Settings.

You can find more info about this here.

We'd advise that you let your friends know, that they should check this option and make sure it is enabled. 

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This did not fix it. I tried logging out and re-installing, then unfollowing/refollowing and am still seeing the same "enable share" label on my friend board.

hi.
dont work
bye

So we should contact every friend about this? This shouldn't have changed and that is a not so helpful suggestion

Plan

Premium

Country

Bulgaria

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Issue

For several months  i cannot see my Spotify friend's feed.   I have reinstalled Spotify on both my PC and Android but nothing helps. All my settings are enabled, as they should be. Can you please advise how to fix this?

Thank you in advance!

Hey @czubizzle,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

The default setting to share the user’s listening activity has been globally set to OFF. As you’ve double checked and the option is enabled, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing troubles with the friends feed.

In case this doesn't work, we'd recommend installing the Microsoft Store’s version of the app to see if it makes any difference.

We’ll be on the lookout for your next response.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have this issue too and the article that you have recommended to look at just said that they don't think their is a issue. yet I have the exact same issue where I can't see what my friends are listening too same for them they can't see what I'm doing yet I do have the setting on please help me thank you. 

They don't care one iota about how this update has negatively impacted millions of their users, but I do, so for those of you who are no longer able to enjoy seeing what your best friend, secret crush, family member, favourite actor, musician, etc. is listening to, I'm so sorry. I know how tremendously disappointing it is to log on Spotify and not see everyone happily listening to music on your feed. I still hold on to an inkling of hope that one day they'll show up in that little corner again. This update is infuriating and completely unnecessary and it's put a damper on everyone's favourite feature of Spotify. Should I ever find an actual solution (so tired of hearing, "Tell all your friends to share their listening" or "Do a clean reinstall). I promise I'll share it with all of you. 

I'm on windows desktop and it's 2022.... the problem it's still not solved. A bit of a joke really.

I have this problem as well.

Suggested posts