Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stopped selling download credits

Solved!

Spotify stopped selling download credits

Hi,

Noticed a couple of days ago I was no longer able to buy credits to buy MP3's."(At this moment it's not possible to buy downloads from Spotify, click here for more information)"

The link provided only said: "At this moment we don't offer an option to buy new downloads on spotify however you can still use download credits you already have".

-> When will Spotify again allow us to buy download credits?

PS. really bad timing to stop this before X-mas

153 Replies

In anwer to one of tittlemouse"s many questioins;I am a Premium subscriber and can no longer buy downloads.So may as well down grade to unlimeted as I currently pay tenner monthly.I see it now as exact same service but we"re still given option of paying either Tenner or Fiver-Yes they do actually think we are stupid!

@David wrote:

There might be a little confusion here. Being on the Premium service allows you to sync playlists from the Spotify catalog onto the Spotify application on a variety of devices. This is different from the download store which would require a payment for each track. 

When on the Premium service, head to the top of one of your playlists and select "Available Offline" (also called "Download Playlist" on Android devices). This will sync that playlist to that device. For example, if you've got an iPod Touch and want to sync a playlist, just download the Spotify app from the App Store, log in and sync away! 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

To Rogey, well it was my persistence with customer services that finally got the  actual answer  to our main question regarding them stopping new purchases.. They STILL have not answered me regarding the fact that I have 4 downloads available on each track and I cannot re-download any of them, despite them saying I can!  I understood incidentally , (correct me somebody if I am wrong ) that regarding syncing from Spotify one has to remove itunes? see here. I am now buying from 7digital.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-sync-spotify-music-to-your-ipod.html

I enjoy Spotify for listening and seeing groups whole collection. I recently got the trial for the downloading. Glad I'm still free-beeing it, cause I ain't paying 10 bucks/mo. to listen only.

Just to throw in another point of view... Spotify have just Alienated the entire DJ community... no point in paying for this service anymore...

Yeah, this sucks. Spotify was great for downloading tracks to DJ and then playing them from my CD decks.

Not any more 😞

Vaclam - Seems there is a little confusion here. You can still download your music to Offline Mode with Premium, this hasn't changed at all. It's simply that you just can't purchase the music to own any more.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

please open the download/buy service again,,, its a great  service... i have found alot of great songs using spotify and i would like to go on with bying music trhough spotify.... please open .....

If Spotify don't want to offer the downloads anymore, can they integrate another provider into the client I wonder? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

try>

deezer - pretty much like spotify but links to amazon or itunes for buying music - plus you can convert your spotify playlists:

http://spotizr.com/

Buying music from amazon - is EXTREmly painful - esp compared to how smooth Spotify was, would not recommend it.

Going to try 7 digital will let you know how it goes...

SPOTIFY PLEASE bring back downloads (I dj and so need the mp3's!!!!!)

Spotify, please reconsider! Please bring back the downloads!

Will have a look at 7 digital but could other (soon to be former) Spotify users keep posting any other good alternatives they find please?

Ok, first impressions are that 7 digital seems to have a fairly good selection of house & techno. Had about 80-90% success rate against a 25 track 'to buy' playlist from Spotify.......but its just a pain in the ass to have to search for each track again on seperate website! Its time I don't have.

Its also going to cost me 50% more at 99p per track. No discounted bundles in evidence.

Other users may want to check www.boomkat.com and www.juno.co.uk. Boomkat is 99p per track. Juno is more expensive at £1.39 for 320mp3 but sometimes has tracks unavailable elsewhere.

Keep the suggestions coming please. We'll use their forum to take our business elsewhere, as looks like they won't listen to our appeals to reinstate downloads.    

I got an equally useless answer with a link to the page telling me it's not available 😕 

It's poor...all of the other websites are a lot more expensive....I buy a lot of my house tunes from Beatport or Traxsource, in my opinion two of the best websites for DJs.  They have the latest tracks which IS something that Spotify wasn't great for to be honest.  However, like I said....a lot more expensive...some new MP3s are 2€17 but in general the price goes down to 1€20 after a while.  I don't know of any website that gives you a discount if you buy more tracks in one go but occasionally you can find a good coupon code for Beatport and get 10 or 20% off.

As others have pointed out - it's no good Spotify just saying that downloads are not available and just expecting customers to accept this unexplained statement.  It would be helpful if at least Spotify whould tell us why they have stopped this service, which many of us really appreciated. 

Is it legal, operational, technical, financial or what?  And is this permanent or temporary.

A little respect for customers would be well received.  In the meantime it feels like we are just being fobbed off with no meaningful explanation for this change to the service previously provided by Spotify...

since there is no news about how why when or what is happaning im wondering is the shutdown of downloads a permanent one. its official that spotify isnt making any money, so they have to cut costs.

this artical might give an indirect insight

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57526690-93/is-spotifys-business-model-broken/

boomkat and JunoDowonload are two online stores I use regularly to purchase lossless music (FLAC/WAV). Of course they provide MP3s. I rely on Spotify for tracks that are not available on these stores, such as the latest singles from Haim and Solange. It's back to iTunes for these then : (

I mostly use Spotify to preview new music which I'd own/download eventually either from Spotify or other stores. But I have been considering terminating the premium membership which I have for years so I could spend more on lossless music downloads and CDs! Spotify needs to reinstate downloads, e.g. collaborating with other stores for high quaility music downloads. It should also consider providing download discounts for members. Otherwise, I really don't see the value of having a membership for rented tunes. High quality MP3 streaming? Come on!

Marked as solution

Spotify,

if you are listening, I am extremely disappointed and quite frankly confused at your decision to stop selling music by download. To me, it's a ridiculous business decision because you're basically putting two fingers up to me and telling me to go away and spend my money with someone else (which I will now!).

I have loved Spotify since day one for its free service (I didn't mind the ads), but first you annoyed me when you put the limits on free listens to songs, and so I started buying downloads from you. Then I discovered your annoying credit system and how they expired after 30 days and you lose your money if you haven't downloaded anything (such a stupid system!).

And now this?! DON'T YOU WANT MY MONEY or something? Haven't you got a $59 million loss to cover? Oh well, good luck finding that. I will continue to milk your free service for all it's worth, costing you bandwidth and then buy my music through another service that is willing to accept my cash.

Now you may say to me "why don't you just subscribe?". Here are my reasons:

1. I work full time, so I'm not at home all day and therefore won't use the service all the time

2. I want to be able to put music on my phone, iPod and play it in a car or when I'm out but I can't stream Spotify to my iPod

3. I spent £36 on buying downloads in 2011 and £50 in 2012, so Spotify unlimited would cost me £59.88 for 1 year or £119.88 for premium (so I could listen on my phone), so any way you look at it, Spotify streaming doesn't work for me. I'm one  of the (i'm sure) many casual users who are going to fall between the cracks of free and subscription, for whom the download service was a great compromise.

Now, even though a bunch of things have annoyed me, unfortunately, I have to say that Spotify is still the best service out there (for now), so I don't want to leave. If you offered a service that allowed me to stream across all devices, but limited the number of hours I can listen per month (to suit us people who have a job!), then I MIGHT be interested, otherwise, I'm just going to use the free service to find music I like and then spend my pounds somewhere else.

Sorry guys, you blew it. Bye.

@ramhurts,

After reading that interesting article, I'm still not really any the wiser - why would Spotify give up a revenue stream?

Anyway, for my latest purchases I used 7digital. Their website is pretty easy to use although their search leaves a little to be desired. Oh, and previewing a track wouldn't work for me. But it's still a pain in the ass having to go from Spotify -> 7digital.

Spotify, will you please integrate with 7digital for purchases?

Down load to DJ devices,yeah.But thas no good if y dont own tracks cos one evenning you go to work,club or party what ever and find "Spotify" s gone kerpput/closed down/liquidated,and you lost all y"tracks.

Suggested posts