Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bug: Smart Shuffle to normal play

Bug: Smart Shuffle to normal play

Plan: Premium

My Issue:

Currently, the playing order is Normal > Shuffle > Smart Shuffle. Whenever I shift from shuffle to normal, it will NOT play the follow-up song according to the sorting settings (e.g., "recently added").

Instead, the queue changes the entire playlist to Z-A and starts playing from the start. Please note, this only happens after the shuffle function was used at least once.

Please fix this.

IMG_20230601_181733.jpg
IMG_20230601_181832.jpg
IMG_20230601_181859.jpg
6 Replies

Hey @McvW,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome!

This is indeed odd behavior. If you haven't yet, we'd suggest performing a clean reinstall of the app on your device. By doing that, the app can be up-to-date, and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can find the steps for doing it here.

If this behavior persists after that, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sharing with us the make/model and OS version of the device on which you noticed this, along with the Spotify version you're running there?

On another note, do you notice if this happens when playing a specific playlist? Or does it happen no matter what playlist you select to play? It'd be awesome if you could give us more details. Is the playlist in which you notice this yours (meaning if you created it)?

Lastly, would you mind sending us a video recording in which we can clearly see the steps you follow to replicate this? You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public so we can watch it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

I'd already done a reinstall before posting here, and tried clearing the cache again after but the problem persists.

Model: OnePlus 10T (CPH2415)

Spotify version: 8.8.40.470

The issue happens in each list & main library, but I think it only occurs when the playlist is sorted by date and/or "changed order" (I don't know the English labeling, Dutch is aangepaste volgorde).

I've added a video of my process, but please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide for you to reproduce the bug.

Thanks in advance!

Hey @McvW,

Thanks for getting back to us and providing the requested details.

Could you please try with a different playlist to see if you'll experience the same?

In addition, we'd like to see how the list is sorted. Would you mind sending us a screenshot of this? This way we can try reproduce the behavior on our end. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

LyubkaModerator

Hi again!

A small correction on my part: this happens in all my playlists (public, shared, and private) as I cannot use smart shuffle on Spotify's playlists.

An example of this is https://open.spotify.com/playlist/01XUrOm7V9zMo0YhWyELAr. This list is currently sorted to Custom order (Aangepaste volgorde).

I've added two more screenshots as an example (but I'm not sure I understood your question).  

IMG_20230606_171116.jpg
IMG_20230606_171333.jpg

Hey @McvW,

Thanks for keeping in touch. 

We've managed to looked at your playlist and based on the screenshots you've provided we can see that on the first picture the playlist is sorted by "recently added" and after Smart shuffle is turned off the queue switches back to default sorting.

We were able to reproduce and this behavior could be expected since Smart Shuffle doesn't support sorting options. The sorting will revert to default custom after you switch it off.

You can find more info about the Smart Shuffle in this article. If you have any input about this new feature - you're welcome to share it in this thread as your feedback is important to us!

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

LyubkaModerator

Thank you for your reply. I'm very open to providing suggestions to features in the future. However, I do not believe this specific issue should be addressed as additional input on how to improve the Smart Shuffle feature?

As-is, the new feature takes away from the original functionality of your app, which I cannot imagine was the intention.

To select a preferred play mode, Shuffle is a mandatory click. Shuffle does not affect the original queue. Smart Shuffle is part of that exact same click-through process. Therefore, it also should not affect the queue's original order.

If you decide to no longer support sorting as a whole, that is another story. But for now, the queue is simply dysfunctional, seemingly to an oversight during development.

Suggested posts