Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading music to external SD card, another one...

Solved!

Downloading music to external SD card, another one...

I've done the re-installing, I've done the clean re-installing, I've done the re-installing with the SD card out then putting it back in and moving files around, and nothing seems to work.

I've got a Huawei y300 with Android 4.1.1, the very newest version of Spotify, a 32gb SD card that is literally empty until I start to download and I can't get it to download more than a quarter of my songs without saying that there's no space. I've tried going back to my old card which had the songs downloaded (and still should) but it still doesn't want to sync. 

Is there ANYTHING I can do to download my playlists? And when will Spotify work around this as, from the posts I've been reading, this has been going on for a long time...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Can you try deleting the cache & saved data in Settings. Log back into Spotify and change the download quality to 'Extreme'. Now try downloading and the music should be stored to your SD.

This has been a little trick for a while now. I do agree, there should be the option of where to save it but hopefully this work-around should help you.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I wasn't having any luck with this either i have a Samsung s4 running KitKat but I just managed to get it working

The steps I followed to get it working:

1. Open the Spotify app go to settings and scroll to the bottom and select delete cache and saved data .

2. Uninstall the Spotify app (I believe this is the main step that got this working) 

3. Download and install Spotify again log back in 

4. Select extreme quality for download 

5. Download your tracks for offline 

6. Now to check whether it’s worked, use a file explorer i used ES file explorer any one will do though. go to the extSD card file path select the Andriod folder , then Data , then look for com.spotify.music folder that will confirm that it’s all working and saving to your extSD card. 

The SD card im using is a Samsung EVO 64gb Class 10 http://goo.gl/tp4Bhi

Hope this helps. 

Marked as solution

1. Open the Spotify app go to settings and scroll to the bottom and select delete cache and saved data .
2. Uninstall the Spotify app (I believe this is the main step that got this working)
6. Now to check whether it’s worked, use a file explorer i used ES file explorer any one will do though. go to the extSD card file path select the Andriod folder , then Data , then look for com.spotify.music folder that will confirm that it’s all working and saving to your extSD card.

75 Replies
Marked as solution

Can you try deleting the cache & saved data in Settings. Log back into Spotify and change the download quality to 'Extreme'. Now try downloading and the music should be stored to your SD.

This has been a little trick for a while now. I do agree, there should be the option of where to save it but hopefully this work-around should help you.

Android Troubleshooting:

Well it's looking better than it had, it's about half way so far and I'll let you know if it downloads them all.

EDIT: It worked, YAY!

Glad to have helped.

Android Troubleshooting:

mechanimal82.  Thank you so much.  I'm such a novice. Your instructions were so simple and worked.  I was so fed up, no storage and not having a clue how to proceed.  Delighted to have a functional phone and more storage for music and feeling more confident re managing technical stuff.

Happy thankful.  Thanks for using your talent.

Despite trying the above sugggestion and numerous others I have seen on this forum, nothing seems to fix this issue on my Motorolo Moto E. Why can't we just be allowed to specify a location?!?

I have the same problem with my Moto E. Spotify was the main reason I bought the 32gb SD!
Any solution ???

I've just installed a industrial grade sd card to my Huawei Ascend D2 phone. Then it works perfectly. Super speed. Here is for your information:

http://goo.gl/77NmJ9
Marked as solution

I wasn't having any luck with this either i have a Samsung s4 running KitKat but I just managed to get it working

1. Open the Spotify app go to settings and scroll to the bottom and select delete cache and saved data .

The SD card im using is a Samsung EVO 64gb Class 10 http://goo.gl/tp4Bhi

Hope this helps. 

The fix above worked for me on the htc One M8.  Thanks so much!

Thank you for the fix, daniel, it worked like a charm

Thanks for the solution; seems to be working like a charm. I've got a Sony Xperia and use a PNY MicroSD 32gB. Super.

so when deleting cache & saved data will i be deleting playlists and saved music or will that come back when i login in again?

@marccdd wrote:

so when deleting cache & saved data will i be deleting playlists and saved music or will that come back when i login in again?

When you login you will still have your playlists, music etc saved... just the actual cache will be removed so you would have to re-download any offline playlists you had before.

Android Troubleshooting:

Didn't work on my m8.

this worked, galaxy note 3 on android 5.0.

Thanks!!

Hit clear cache, Force stop, Clear data, Then uninstall finally did it for me. Use a file manager or your pc to remove any leftover Spotify data. down load Spotify, then re-install. I also set it for extreme quality on downloads before downloading any music. it took 2 trys, but it worked.

Worked for me on Galaxy Note 4.  Much appreciated!

Does this work on the Z3?

Like others in this thread my Moto E, Android 5.0.2 seems to stubbornly save offline playlists on extreme mode on the internal memory. I have followed very carefully intructions given in this thread (clean install), and even I rolled back to Spotify 2.8 (which has solved the "no internet available" problem).

Anyone has found a way to force Spotify to use a much largen SD card and not deplete the meager internal memory? =/

Suggested posts