Premium

Country

United States

Device

Motorola ThinkPhone

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Whenever I start Spotify when connected to my vehicle it will start and then the screen will go dim and become completely unresponsive like a popup or an add but there was nothing to dismiss it and there was nothing showing

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

Thank you for all the reports!
This is now being looked into 🙂

For everyone new here who hasn't done so already, please let us know the following details:

• Your device
  • Its OS version
  • Your Spotify app version

Many thanks! We'll keep you posted.

53 Replies

I'm having the same issues.

It's maddening.

At this point I want this month free with as much time as I've spent trying to fix this problem.

Edit: Phone Information

Galaxy s21 5G

UI version 5.1

Android version 13

Not using Android Auto

Started happening about 12 days ago.

~Nov 17th

If I have it playing before I turn on the car it usually works.

And it doesn't always lock me out, only about 85% of the time.

I also just recently started having this issue. I've done multiple troubleshooting steps, with no success. However, I did notice that once I'm connected to WiFi for a few minutes, the app opens normally. It only seems to happen on cellular, at least thus far for me. 

Me too

App seems to open for me when I turn off Bluetooth. Google Pixel 6A. Otherwise same dim screen. Premium user. App is unusable.

Same here....I just got Pixel 8 phone and started having this issue.

The app works fine, but as soon as you connect to car's bluetooth, the screen goes "dim" and app locks up.

I tried clearing cache, reinstalling, denying "nearby devices" access in the phone settings like some suggested and it made no difference.

Hey folks!

Sorry for the late reply here.
Are you using Android Auto when connecting to your vehicles? If yes, while we're looking into this, I'd recommend checking if there might be an Android Auto setting causing the app to dim and lock itself upon establishing connection.

And, if you haven't already, please provide us with the following details:

1. Your device model and its OS version
  2. Your Spotify app version
  3. A short description of when the issue has started happening and how your app behaves.

Many thanks!

P.S. It's a stretch, but the Extra Dim setting on Android might also be at fault here. 
To see if this is the case, follow these steps:

1. Open Settings and select Accessibility.
  2. Look under Display and tap the toggle Switch for Extra dim to turn it off. If it's off, toggle it on and off again.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙂

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm having this same issue on a Samsung Galaxy S23, just started today.  When opening the app when connected to my car via Bluetooth, it dims and is unresponsive. I dont have Android Auto or extra dim settings turned on.

I have been having the same issue as folk above. It has only been happening when in the car, so when not connected to the car I have turned off car mode and it seems to be opening ok now. Hope this works for others

Same problem, began yesterday after installing the most recent Spotify app update. 

Pixel 7
Android 14
Spotify version 8.8.90.893

Happens when I am connected to my car via Bluetooth and then open Spotify. The app opens, the screen quickly dims as if there's a pop-up ad overlay and Spotify becomes completely unreponsive as @Alecsgarden described. 

I have cleared cache, re-installed the app, and verified "extra dim" is not enabled. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on wifi or cellular.  

I did notice something interesting during troubleshooting: If I close Spotify, disable Bluetooth on my phone, then re-open Spotify and begin playing a song, and then finally turn Bluetooth back on, Spotify connects to the car and seems to work just fine after that. 

I have not yet disabled "car mode" in Spotify as @Alanmek1 suggests, but will try that next and report back. 

Hey folks, 

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

@Maelstrom01, could you send us the info @Vasil asked for previously? This will help us take a closer look. Also, could you check if what @Alanmek1 mentioned works for you as well?

@slejhamer, thanks for all the info you've sent so far! We'll be on the lookout for your report about @Alanmek1's suggestion.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi @Eni,

So, at first I thought the Car Mode setting was the problem, as I disabled it and had no trouble yesterday.. However, I had problems this evening even with Car Mode disabled.

Something I noticed: if I open the Spotify app before my phone has finished fully syncing with my car's Bluetooth, there's no problem and the app functions normally.

However, if I open the app after the phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth, the app opens but immediately goes dim with no functionality.

The above is repeatable, whether Car Mode is enabled or disabled.  

I hope this info helps track down the issue.

Same issue here.

Pixel 8

OS 14 latest version

Spotify latest version as of 11/29/23

Every time I start up Spotify when I'm in my car, it goes dim and you can't click on anything.  You can only exit out of the app and start it up again and it will give you the same result.  Sometimes I can get it going after about 10 minutes when I start to fool around with switching back and forth between the radio and the bluetooth on the car while re-starting the app.  Other times there is nothing I can do.

I have all the symptoms as shared above on my pixel. What seems to work reliably is to press and hold that app icon and click on any song suggestions. When Spotify opens this way it doesn't run into the issue instead of just tapping the app directly.

Same here

1. Google Pixel 8 Pro - Android 14

2. 8.8.92.700

3. Open the app and the screen dims and the app becomes non-responsive. Haven't noticed any patterns. I just close the app and reopen until it eventually works again. Not working at the moment though and it has been a minute. I thought it might have been the VPN but I disconnected and still nothing. Started maybe 2 weeks ago on my Pixel 5a, have since upgraded to an 8 Pro and still have the same issue.

Thanks for this effective workaround (press and hold, then selecting Made for You)!  Given how much time I've been screwing around with my Bluetooth connection at the beginning of every drive because of this bug, you probably saved me from an accident.  (Pixel 7a on Android 14 with Spotify 8.8.92.700)

Having the same problem. On top of the dim unresponsive screen on my Galaxy S22 if I leave it up and let it connect to my cars blue-tooth the play button doesn't work. I have personally cleared the cache, data, signed out, uninstalled, deleted the blue-tooth connection, reinstalled to no avail. I'll give that dim setting a try but the only thing that seems to get around the issue is leaving the screen locked and playing the podcast/music I'm listening too from the widget on the lock screen. That worked today but I had fiddled with it a lot before trying that so I don't know if that will consistently or if it will work for everyone.

Hey folks,

Thank you for joining the conversation and welcome to the Community.

We appreciate all the info you have included in your responses, along with the tips and workarounds. In order to continue looking into this further with the relevant team, and in case you haven't sent it yet; let us know the following info:

- Your device info (make/model) and OS version

- Exact Spotify version

Also, and if possible; could any of you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, I am on a Google pixel 5A, with Spotify version 8.8.92.700. Android version 14. I have encountered the same issue as others this morning. No android auto, just Bluetooth. Screen darkens on launch unable to touch anything. When launching from the hold down widget on home screen it works though. 

Hi

My Wife has a Samsung S21 FE. 

Spotify was reinstalled yesterday. It was fine after that until this afternoon. The Version of Spotify my wife is using is. 8.8.92.700

Please see attach of what it does when this happens

IMG-20231204-WA0018.jpg

Suggested posts