Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Massive data usage on Android

Massive data usage on Android

Hi all. I found this topic under the iPhone category but the solution was to reinstall.

Not only did I do that several times but I also happened to get a new phone.

I have filed a case with spotify,, but no answers. Besides, users can be the most helpful, so here I am.

I use spotify mostly in my car. Maybe 30 minutes to an hour every other day. Maybe 6 or 7 hours total in a week including weekends on the boat.

My wife noticed our monthly usage as a family jumped to 15 gb last month. It has been less than 8 for over a year. We thought nothing of it. Then our cycle rolled over and in 5 days my line used 6 gb.  No.....it's not dirty videos! 🙂

We checked spotify and over 5 gb on spotify. 

I started running tests. 15 to 20 minute drives to work are using over 200mb at a time. I ran it at work under LTE only. 30 minutes used about 400mb. I ran a timer on my phone to be sure. I take screenshots of data usage so it is definitely spotify. I even changed everything to "normal "quality. Auto quality and normal use the same amount. The background data is substantially higher. But I have "shutoff" background data. It still uses it. And lots of it. At my current test, 468 mb of my 493 mb usage is from background data.

New app, reinstalled again, new phone....even a new phone carrier. 

It is just a brutal amount of data. 

The person I chatted with immediately asked if I had an android phone and said it's a known issue.

However, the 2nd person I chatted with said that that is not true. I'm getting no answers on the case they said they set up. They did refund my payment this month which is a nice courtesy.

Something is up though, and I cannot find an answer anywhere. If it's a known issue that uses 6 gb a week they have to let people know, right? Not everyone has unlimited data.

Any thoughts or help is welcome.

4 Replies

Hello, I'm personally not going to be too helpful as to the technical side of it but there is a workaround if you have spotify premium. You can do offline playlists which will download the songs to ypur phone. This will result in no data being used to play them next time. Be aware that it will use up data to download the playlist the first time. Hope this helped in some way.  

Did I answer your questions or help you in any way? Please consider giving me Kudos or simply hitting 'Accept as solution' to help others. Hope you have a wonderful day~

Twitch | Follow Me on Spotify

That is good because I do have a lot saved. I am aware of that, and i have a massive SD card in my phone. However, that shouldn't be required. I pay for spotify for a few features but  the random aspect is free and I still like to use it. I like getting recommendations based on what I saved. So that would only play my saved stuff and would take up a lot of my sd card. I have discovered some awesome bands because of that. (Fyi......royal bliss is a fun band)

It will help but it should be temporary. I am testing now as we speak and 100 mb in 12 minutes. 

I'm not knocking your suggestion but knocking that it shouldn't be required. 

Yea, I completely agree, it shouldn't but I just thought i'd try to "bandaid" fix it for ya for the current time. I'd submit a support ticket to get the developers to look at a potential fix. Hope it gets fixed soon!

Did I answer your questions or help you in any way? Please consider giving me Kudos or simply hitting 'Accept as solution' to help others. Hope you have a wonderful day~

Twitch | Follow Me on Spotify

What svcks is that this is a good music service and trumps Amazon and Pandora for me, but this is a deal breaker. Still running tests and it is averaging about 150mb to 200 mb per 20 minutes.

We shop Amazon like crazy so I may have to give their music service a shot of this keeps up.

I had my son test his phone. A cheapo galaxy.....same issue.

Suggested posts