Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Music Won't Stay Downloaded?

Solved!

New Music Won't Stay Downloaded?

I have spotify premium and recently set "downloaded/set offline" two new albums and for some reason they won't stay downloaded. I download the album, but then they become steamable again. Sometimes I have to connect to 4G or wifi before they become available again. For the rest of my downloaded playlists, they stay downloaded. The two album are frank ocean's, channel orange, and nas', life is good.

Edit by Per Bonomi (2012-12-06):

Please provide more info as described here.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

You have to understand that
1. we are paying customers,

2. you have been experiencing problems on your servers for quite some time,

3. erasing the data, uninstalling, rebooting and installing back again takes an ENORMOUS amount of time considering the fact that we don't have 1 or 2 playlists but in my case more than a dozen. Downloading back all the data takes hours
4 doing all of that just to prove that the issue is on your side is a bit unacceptable...

So if you can tell us that this will FIX the issue, I'm more than happy to do it, otherwise, I think you'd better try to reproduce it on your own, as you guys are the provider and us the client.

Thank you.

Laurent

View solution in original post

169 Replies

I have the same problem. It started 2 days ago. When I add new offline playlists or add new songs to existing offline playlists they download but when I close and reopen the app they have to be downloaded again.

@recheej wrote:

I have spotify premium and recently set "downloaded/set offline" two new albums and for some reason they won't stay downloaded. I download the album, but then they become steamable again. Sometimes I have to connect to 4G or wifi before they become available again. For the rest of my downloaded playlists, they stay downloaded. The two album are frank ocean's, channel orange, and nas', life is good.

Have you tried rebooting, force closing the app in Manage Apps window, clearing app data, and reinstalling the app?

If you can't resolve your issue, please follow the steps in Troubleshooting Spotify on Android.

Community Ergo Sum
Marked as solution

Hello,

3. erasing the data, uninstalling, rebooting and installing back again takes an ENORMOUS amount of time considering the fact that we don't have 1 or 2 playlists but in my case more than a dozen. Downloading back all the data takes hours
4 doing all of that just to prove that the issue is on your side is a bit unacceptable...

So if you can tell us that this will FIX the issue, I'm more than happy to do it, otherwise, I think you'd better try to reproduce it on your own, as you guys are the provider and us the client.

Thank you.

Laurent

@lolo92210 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you.

Laurent

That's a fair enough comment. However, it would still help to have all the technical details from your end. If you wanted to skip the troubleshooting steps you can still let us know about your configuration, otherwise there isn't much to reproduce with.

Make sense?

Community Ergo Sum

Sure.

I live and use the service in France. I first noticed the problem on July 25th.

My phone is an HTC One X not rooted with Android 4.03 (stock rom) and Spotify 0.5.2.87 (0.8.3.636.gf43da5f3). My 3G provider is Bouygues and the problem happens whether I'm on Wifi at work and at home and on 3G.

I tried rebooting the phone and it doesn't work. I tried desynchronizing the playlist and synchronizing it again, it doesn't change anything. The songs are not synchronized.

I'm more than willing to give you additional information if needed.

Thank you for your understanding and your help.

Laurent

I am having the same problem.  This never happened until a few weeks ago.  I'm using a Motorola Photon with Sprint service in the US.

I've tried clearing all data, reinstalling, no luck.  I even had to reinstall the old app in order to use my sd card (seriously wtf that is so stupid).  I've tried contacting customer service, and all they do is have me try things that I've already done.  I see this is a common problem by a quick google search; I'm just baffled at why there is no solution.

Any thoughts?  I really loved this service until recently.  Now of course I have a 30 hour road trip coming up - doing that without spotify is going to suck.

I'm having the exact same problem - Droid X (Verizon), in the US.  I have a premium subscription, and never had an issue before the past few days.  I can sync a playlist marked as "Available Offline", and it will temporarily be on my phone, even if I go back to 3G mode.  But soon after, the songs are grayed out again, and when I sync my phone, I have to start the process all over again, which is quite frustrating.  The Desktop version I have is 0.8.4.107.g4fa003f, and the Mobile version is 0.5.2.87.

I too agree with lolo92210 that we shouldn't have to clear cache, uninstall, reinstall, re-download, etc.  We're paying for this service!  I use Spotify more than any app by far, but I'd really like to get this issue resolved.

Sounds like an app bug then. Please complete the report detailed in this thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Troubleshooting-Spotify-on-Android/td-p/113082

I am having the exact same problem in the US, HTC EVO  model PC36100, Sprint.  I am premium.

My downloaded list that includes MP3 and AAC from my PC will be on my Android, will play, and then will disappear.

As for technical information, handy to have a button to push in the app that will spew it all.

Please fix this.

I have the same problem. New music wont stay downloaded.

Description

If I download new playlists to my Android, they become "undownloaded" after a while. I do not know when this happens.

This has been going on for a few days (today its 2012-08-03)

Detailed description

1. In spotify on two different computers (windows 7 and Vista) I added new playlists (CKY - carver city, Anna von Hausswolff - Ceremony, and a few more
  2. On my mobile I downloaded the playlists using wifi. 
  3. I listened to the playlists.
  4. Next day the playlists were not available as "downloaded" - I had to download them again.

(The same thing has happened 2-3 times now with different playlists) 

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?'

No. I have not cleared data or reinstalled spotify. I have only restarted the phone.

What I expected to happen

My downloaded playlists would be available for listening in offline mode

What actually happened

My downloaded playlists were no longer downloaded.

Device model

Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

Device´s Operating System

Android 2.3.4

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you usinig a custom ROM?

No

My mobile spotify version

0.5.2.87 (0.8.3.636.gf43da5f3)

My desktop spotify version

0.8.4.107.g4fa0003f

My mobile provider and country

Tele 2, Sweden

My username

No such number as described in the template is available.

Do you have any screenshots....

No

It appears I'm having the same problem as several others on here: -

Description

Added a few new albums to my playlists recently but they won't stay downloaded so I am not able to listen to them unless there is a 3G/Wi-fi connection.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Logged out of Spotify, turned phone off, took battery out and then restarted phone.

2. Uninstalled Spotify app, turned phone off, battery out, turned phone on again, reinstalled Spotify app and logged in.

3. Downloaded albums into different playlists.

4. Then finally looked on here for some help!!!

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

What I expected to happen

Albums would remain downloaded.

What actually happened

Albums showed as unavailable whilst offline.

Device model

HTC Sensation XE

Device’s Operating System

Android 4.0.3 ICS

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

Vodafone UK

My username

spencerpugh

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No

spencerpugh, did you recently change phones or factory reset your current phone?

Community Ergo Sum

No, I've had this phone since the end of December 2011.

@spencerpugh wrote:
No, I've had this phone since the end of December 2011.

OK, in that case I can try resetting your offline devices from this end. That will mean you'd have to resync everything. Do you want me to go ahead?

Community Ergo Sum

I don't understand. Is someone from your technical teams working on that problem? It seams that the problem is quite widespread, there must be something wrong with your severs/databases!

Yes please

@spencerpugh wrote:
Yes please

OK, try now.

Community Ergo Sum

i've gone about a day now without everything being erased.  the service rep that emailed me told me that it had something to do with duplicate accounts overriding each other?  sounds pretty silly to me, but i'll report back on results.  we'll see what happens when the program inevitably force closes or has to be restarted.

Suggested posts