Country

Netherlands/Germany/Austria

Device

Samsung S21 FE

Operating System

Android 14

My Question or Issue

Hi community,

I have come across an issue using Spotify offline. I came across this on a road trip, making it inpossible for me to play my downloaded songs, which is a major function of Spotify lost to me.

The issue is that whenever the app is opened when there is no internet connection, playlists cannot load. This means: the thumbnails of the playlists are not loaded, and when clicking on a playlist, the app shows a loading screen until an error message pops up. I can however play songs (only continue the last played song/waitlist), so the songs are still there. There is just no way to access them.

I have been in contact with Spotify "advisors" who try every solution according to their manual, and I tried a few things myself, to no result. The things tried are:

- offline mode

- deleting cache

- normal reinstall

- clean reinstall

- try another device: using my Samsung tablet (Android) the issue is not there

- use a test account given by the support agent: test account has the same issue (so it does not appear to be account related)

- use a different network to download the songs

- decouple my account from a device

This issue appeared out of nowhere. The day before I discovered it (a week ago), it was not there. There have not been major Android updates then. Im not sure about a Spotify update though.

Screenshot_20240204_074207_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_211949_Spotify.jpg
50 Replies

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out and kudos for the troubleshooting you've tried.

Can you please also try the following:

1. Reinstall the app as described here to make sure the cache isn't corrupted.
  2. Download a short playlist.
  3. Enable Offline mode in your app's settings.
  4. Navigate back to the playlist and see if the tracks are playable.

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've already done what you described the day before making the comment and it didn't fix it. Clean uninstall and turning offline mode on and off doesn't to have any affect as it just goes back to being broken again.

I forgot to mention but I've also cleared cache as well and it still doesn't fix.

I don't know how Spotify handles the switch from online to offline, but turning offline mode on when previously connected to the internet has no affect. But being offline for a long period of time with Spotify closed in the background causes the playlists to break. I'm guessing it's because the playlists were already pre-loaded with internet connection. Having Spotify boot from scratch with a complete dead connection seems to recreate the issue consistently. But even then, half of my playlists load just fine for some reason

I even tried to copying the playlist and deleting the original when I had internet connection. The duplicate playlist actually worked just fine when I went offline, but it broke again the next day.

• Me pasa lo mismo en xiaomi note 12 pro no inicio sección desde la aplicación 

\

My Question or Issue

When choosing to listen to a Album during offline mode (Album is download) 

instead of popping up with the album page it just loads for around 30 seconds 

then it just quits and says "try again"

I've already tried to Clear the Cache,Restart my Device and Even reinstalled spotify 

If anyone has the solution please let me know

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

(Fire Kindle)

Operating System

(Android 11)

Hey @MrWaalrus

Thanks for your reply. 

Just to confirm, do you notice if this happens mostly with large playlists or the playlists' length doesn't really matter?

Additionally, could you recall when this issue started happening? Was it after an update?

On another note, would you mind checking if the same happens on a different device? We'd also suggest checking if the OS of your phone has any pending updates. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey @elmoz1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

If you want to listen to your downloaded content, we'd always recommend using the Offline mode instead of turning off the Wi-Fi/data off on your phone as this ensures that the app will be "disconnected" from the network and will not try to load online content. You can do this by following the steps mentioned in this article.

If the issue persists, it could be related to some damaged cache stored on your device. We understand you've already tried some troubleshooting steps including reinstalling, but to be sure that we're on the same page - did you use the steps for a clean reinstall mentioned in this article?

In case this doesn't help, include in your next response the model, and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Hello @CarlosManueltejada

Welcome and thanks for letting us know. Sorry to hear you`ve experienced this as well. 

If you have tried all the troubleshooting provided by the other mods could we ask of you to send us a screenshot or a recording of what appears on your end so we can look into this further. 

We will be on the lookout!

ElenaModerator

For me, all playlists were not loading correctly, and I have playlists ranging from 20 to 500 songs. I think the issue originated between Friday 2 February and Saturday 3 February.

Like I noted in my original post, the same does not happen for my other device (Samsung tab s8 ultra)

There are no pending updates on my phone.

The size doesn't seem to matter as it happens to any playlist. However the two playlists it has happened to every single time are my two main playlists that are roughly 50hrs long and I listen to the most. It could be a coincidence but I don't know.

Apart from that, there is no pattern. It affects playlists and albums that are short. It seems to be random.

I can't really say when it started happening, but I started to notice and get very irritated by it last week and the week before. I don't know if it was after an update.

I've had two phone updates for Honor 90 in just over a month, but they were just security patches. I just checked and there isn't any update available right now

Hi there @ie2uod,

Welcome to the Community!

Are you by any chance using an SD-card on your Fire Kindle? If that's the case then we recommend removing it from the tablet and then giving Spotify a clean reinstall once again with the steps here. Corrupted cache on the card can cause issues with the app's performance. 

After the reinstall, try downloading the content again without inserting the SD-card back in to see if that'll change anything. 

Keep us posted!

IvelinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung A33 5G

Operating System

Android Ver.14

My Question or Issue

I have Spotify Premium since more than two years and I have playlists with only downloaded music.

Since the last two updates, my playlists with the downloaded music don't load offline, so i can't hear my music offline, only when I go for a short moment online, the playlist loaded and I can start hearing,

but that's not the Promise from Spotify.

Before the last two Updates i had no problems at All.

I have a few playlists downloaded as well as some albums but if I'm online, it only loads the Playlist that was playing last & the others show their title & image but just show loading indefinitely.

I’m having the exact same issue, have you figured out a fix?

Hey @nthink,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

In this case, we recommend you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device. By doing that, the app can be up-to-date, and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can see the steps for a clean reinstall here. Be aware you should re-download all the content you've set to listen to offline before.

If the above doesn't do the trick, would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running on the affected device?

Just to confirm, is there an external SD card installed on your device? If the clean reinstall doesn't do the trick, you can remove it and reinstall the app in the internal memory of your device. Make sure to use the app without inserting the SD card again. Let us know how it goes.

Lastly, it's important to mention you need to go online at least once every 30 days to keep your downloads. This is so Spotify can collect playing data to compensate artists. If perhaps you spend more than that offline, make sure to go online every once in a while.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Not yet. I'll comment here if I do

Exactly the same problem here!

Different person here but having the exact same problem, running Spotify version 8.9.12.599 on Android 13.

I have already gone through a completely clean install and it did not help at all. Spotify is installed in the internal memory.

Same problem here, Spotify 8.9.12.599 and Android 9, Spotify in internal memory with several GB free space left.

Problems started about 2 weeks ago and they only affect playlists with local files I have on my PC and downloaded on my phone. The local songs in that playlist won't be available to play offline, but the songs available from Spotify remain playable offline.

Edit: and I have the same issue when using my tablet (Android 9 as well) or MP3 player (don't know the Android version) instead of my phone.

Hey folks,

Thanks for all your replies and for the info shared.

Just to confirm, does this happen when you activate the airplane mode on your devices to go offline or does it happen as well when activating offline mode on the Spotify app settings while connected to the internet? It'd be awesome if you could check. Please let us know who is using airplane mode.

To activate offline mode, swipe left or tap your profile picture on the mobile app> tap Settings and privacy> go to Playback> toggle Offline mode on. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

We'll be on the lookout!

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts