Plan
Premium

Country
Australia

Device
Samsung Galaxy S20

Operating System
Android 11

Either after an app update, or seemingly randomly, Spotify reverts the storage for downloaded music back to internal storage from the SD Card.

I have had the music stored on the SD Card before, so it isn't a permission issue. I can also transfer the music back to the SD Card, but that can be a 50/50 chance on finishing without an error.

The issue is not that the music can't be stored on the SD card is that something is happening that causes it to move back to the internal storage. I'm not 100% sure, but quite sure, it is downloading all the music again each time after an update.

I have tried uninstalling and rebooting the phone to make sure it is a clean install, but this hasn't helped.

ink.png
Screenshot_20210917-102342_Spotify.png
55 Replies

That's not really a "solution" though, is it? The microSD card's encrypted,
so If your phone dies, you can't use it an another device without
re-formatting, nor can you pull data off it with an SD adapter.

Oh really? I didn't know that. It's ok for me since I never put anything on the SD card that I need to pull off it (photos and videos are all backed up to the cloud). So yeah, I guess it's not a solution. Just a work-around with a caveat. Spotify still needs to get on fixing this for real.

After every reboot, the spotify data from my unencrypted SD card are wiped and internal storage is set as default. This makes the app (mainly it's download feature) unusable for me.

Edit 2: GUYS! I think I found a legit workaround. Just restarted my phone and all my downloads are where they should be.

A lot of y'all said it has to do with spotify loading before the SD card loads. So I posited that if Spotify were on the SD card you wouldn't have that issue. And I believe this to be true.

Step 0: Maybe see my first edit at the bottom of this post just in case this doesn't work for you. That's a silly way to back up your files, but it worked for me. It's a jic thing.

Step 1: Put your phone into developer mode so you can put your apps on your SD card. Here's a YT video I followed that got me there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_mQAQ47ug

Step 2: I would exit Spotify, then go to settings > apps > Spotify > storage and click "change" and make it external storage. Wait for the process to complete.

Step 3: I restarted my phone. I backed up my files just in case through my first edit at the bottom of this post (though again I've not tested it in this instance, but I did test it when I had another issue and it worked pretty well). After a restart once the SD card loaded completely and I could click Spotify I did, and saw to my delight that none of my downloads deleted.

I can't say for sure that this will work with an update as I've not gotten one. Again I wouldn't necessarily call this a fix, rather a workaround, but you know it's better than Spotify not doing anything. I'll also say that if you move Spotify to your SD card the Widget options go away, but don't fret just look up spotify widget on play store and there are so free options that are arguably better than the Spotify version.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So it's 2023 and nothing has been done on this issue. SURPRISE! Over 4 years the same issue. Congrats.

It seems you guys understand more about phones than I do, but I will say it seems to also stem at least partly from a phone update. My old shitty phone (Samsung A01) never had this happen, now on a newer Samsung A50 it happens as you guys said when an update comes in, or when the phone restarts, etc.) I noticed that on my old phone while I couldn't move many apps to the SD, one that I could do that for was Spotify. On this better phone I can move the entire Snapchat app to the SD card and that works fine and doesn't ever run into these type issues.

So yeah, still no fix, not even a proper workaround. Just downloading 3 GB of music every few days for no reason. Hope those servers are run on solar power (they're not) because downloading GB of music every few days is surely not helping global warming. Do it for the planet Spotify. Fix your app so we don't plunge further into the hellscape of global climate catastrophe.

Edit: Also, this isn't a fix, it may not even be a workaround (as I've not tested it to confirm anything) but I ran into an issue years ago that involved Spotify deleting all my downloads. I figured out something that helped me out (taking all the downloaded songs I had that were on my phone and putting them on my computer, deleting my data from spotify and then re-adding those downloaded songs manually back onto my phone - it's cool the workarounds we invent instead of bug fixes by the billion dollar corporation). I'm just going to link it here and when/if this happens to me again I'll try it and let the thread know if it at least works.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/can-t-log-in-because-it-says-i-m-offline/m-p/4966594

Hey, just found another workaround? It isn't the best but is useful, more now that I wanted to try the new widget, since I had forced the app on the SD card.

I noticed when I changed to a new phone, that inserting the SD with music already on it, with a fresh installation, Spotify launched with the SD as default storage, with the music on it saved as Cache; so it would seem the app detects there aren't files on internal and switches to the SD thats already mounted. Now the only thing left is change the download quality to the same as the music is cached and press the download button and the app will start scanning recovering all your music. 

So for the solution; any time the phone reboots, it will always change to the internal storage. So you do the following:

1) Unmount the SD card, manually or virtually. 

2) Delete all data from the phone (haven't tried uninstalling, but should work)

3) Mount again the SD card

4) Start the app and log in

5) The app will set the SD as default, and see your cached music in it. 

6) Change the download quality to what you had your music on 

7) Press the download button on the playlists you had offline and wait a little. 

🙂

It isn't the best but is useful, more now that I wanted to try the new widget, since I had forced the app on the SD card.

I noticed when I changed to a new phone, that inserting the SD with music already on it, with a fresh installation, Spotify launched with the SD as default storage, with the music on it saved as Cache; so it would seem the app detects there aren't files on internal and switches to the SD thats already mounted. Now the only thing left is change the download quality to the same as the music is cached and press the download button and the app will start scanning recovering all your music. 

So for the solution; any time the phone reboots, it will always change to the internal storage. So you do the following:

1) Unmount the SD card, manually or virtually. 

2) Delete all data from the phone (haven't tried uninstalling, but should work)

3) Mount again the SD card

4) Start the app and log in

5) The app will set the SD as default, and see your cached music in it. 

6) Change the download quality to what you had your music on 

7) Press the download button on the playlists you had offline and wait a little. 

I've yust explained this, wanted it to reach you.  Hope this helps! 🙂

Almost 2024... spotify STILL hasnt fixed this. Over the past 10 years i have paid 2000 euro worth of membership, i should not have to go through all this stuff just to make my app work!

This may be old but I have a Samsung and the Device Care, but I can't figure out out to exclude another app from optimization. Can you be more specific?

Hi all,

I use Spotify (Premium) on my Samsung A52, on which l store my Spotify songs/data on my SD card.

However, every time l restart my phone (once a week), Spotify automatically changes it to the internal storage. I then have to move the data to the SD card over again.

How can l sort that out?

Thank you in advance

I haven't yet found a way to exclude any single app.

This is incredibly irritating. 

Happening to me too. I'm running android 13 on a 1 year old galaxy a04. It has no trouble installing to my SD card but after an update... Boom! It deletes all my downloaded music and tries to install it again on my internal storage. After that it just crashes and has all sorts of weird things when I try to transfer the data back to the SD card. (It needs a full uninstall and reinstall to fix). Maybe the spotify developers should stop blaming the SD cards and FIX THE PROBLEM!?

I can confirm it's still happening and it's 2023. I thought something was wrong with my SD card the first time it happened. Formatted and tried again only to realize as posted above this only occurs when the device gets rebooted. Tried clearing the cache and a fresh install- both were unsuccessful.

Nokia C300

Model: TA-1515

Android 12
Spotify App Vers.: 8.8.96.364

Spotify doesnt give a damn obviously. The only thing that worked for me was to root the app in developer mode and force install it on the sd card. Now it finally stopped changing storage location

I fixed this issue... by buying a Pixel, a phone that doesn't support SD cards

That's not a fix... 🤷

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G

Operating System

(Android 13)

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

I have the storage location for Spotify downloads set to Micro SD Card on my phone, but recently local files have been downloading to my internal storage instead of the card. Regular songs however are still being downloaded to the card like normal. I've tried clearing the cache on both my mobile and desktop apps, clearing the data and re-downloading everything but no luck.

Suggested posts