Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turning off shuffle on Android issues

Turning off shuffle on Android issues

When turning off shuffle and the current song finishes the next song doesn't play, previous it used to play the next unshuffled song.

Also switching between the shuffle, smart shuffle and no shuffle can lag a lot and sometimes just stays on smart shuffle.

I have tried clear cache, storage, uninstall and reinstall but the issue persists. This issue does not occur on the desktop app.
6 Replies

Hey @CosmicBob

Thanks for reaching out in the Community and for the steps you've tried so far. 

You mentioned that a reinstall did not help with this but we would advise to try following the "clean uninstall" steps in this Article. Its a bit more thorough of a reset to the app and so that would help you start completely anew.

Keep us in the loop on how it goes.

MartinModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have been having this same problem along with others directly related to smart shuffle ever since it was added and the setting to turn it off was removed. I just did a clean uninstall as described in that article, opened my liked songs, turned on regular shuffle, played the first song, then tapped shuffle twice in the player to turn it off, requiring me to scroll past smart shuffle in the process of course, and then once the song ends the player crashes every time. In the past I have had versions of this same issue where sometimes instead of the player crashing after doing these steps, it just moves on to the next song, but the queue gets messed up after switching past smart shuffle to unshuffled such that no matter where in the playlist it should be with the current song, the next song while unshuffled is the first song of the playlist, followed by the rest of the playlist in order from the start.

During the short time where smart shuffle was a feature but there was a setting to turn it off, none of these issues were present but I have been experiencing this for a year or more, ever since that feature.

Hey @Zoltorion,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

To continue investigating this issue, since you've already performed a clean reinstall, would you mind checking on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can borrow one from a friend or family member to test it out. 

It would also be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device (it could be the same friend or family member) to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

Lastly, include in your next response the make, model, and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've had the exact same issue since I switched from a OnePlus 11 (which uses Oxygen OS) to a Google Pixel 8 Pro (which uses Android 14). Turning Shuffle on and off has no issues, but when Spotify has me use Smart Shuffle, turning it on and then off crashes the player (not the app) when attempting to transition to the next song in the playlist.

Using Spotify version 8.9.34.590

Hey @shadyshopkeep,

Thanks for posting here and welcome.

Would you mind sending us the exact troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? That way we can avoid repeating any. We'd recommend a clean reinstall of the app. By doing that, the app can be up-to-date, and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. If you haven't yet, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

If this behavior persists after that, we'd like to gather some additional info. Does this happen when playing a specific playlist or does it happen no matter which one you choose to play? If you're not sure, it'd be awesome if you could check.

Lastly, we think this could be related to your Pixel device per se, since you noticed this behavior started when you changed devices. Would you mind checking if there are any pending updates for your device's OS?

Keep us in the loop! 

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts