Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"You are offline..." like forever and ever!

Solved!

"You are offline..." like forever and ever!

Hi.

I have paid Premium so I could listen to music in the phone and can I? NO!!!

Since I paid the Premium (3 days ago) the phone never gets "online" so it doesn't "know" I'm Premium!

It´s crazy! Is it someone who have had the same problem and have worked it out?

Sincerely,

//Frida

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I may have a start of answer to your problem.

It seems it's caused when you have synchronized playlists offline and you're using a device that does not have a "correct" IMEI number (e.g. a tablet without 3G connectivity or if you use a software like LBE to prevent apps to get IMEI).

To "solve" this issue, just clear app data (go to Android Settings -> Apps -> Spotify -> Clear data), launch Spotify, connect it to your account and do not synchronize playlists.

Hope this will help you 🙂

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

What kind of programs doe you mean bij: 

It seems it's caused when you have synchronized playlists offline and you're using a device that does not have a "correct" IMEI number (e.g. a tablet without 3G connectivity or if you use a software like LBE to prevent apps to get IMEI).

Marked as solution

The preview version has the same error as the "official build", but I think "NeedMusik" was looking for the "IMEI Widget". On my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi Only) also goes offline all the time.

Marked as solution

@Sam wrote:
Hmm sorry, I've been trying to replicate it in the office and got a little over-excited and posted hastily. I haven't sorted it. Sorry if I raised any hopes.

It shouldn't be hard to replicate. You need the following:

1. An Android tablet without 3G. I.e. Asus Transformer or Transformer Primer or Samsung Galaxy Tab
  2. A Spotify account with one or more playlists
  3. make one or more playlists available offline
  4. Exit Spotify and open Spotify once more.

Spotify should now not be able to connect and stay online.

This goes for both the version of Spotify from Google Play and the ICS Beta.

To see how many users actually strugling with this problem, search the forum for the term IMEI.

Do Spotify at all plan to solve this one year old problem?

Smiley Frustrated

Marked as solution

right hnilsen thats the problem. I decompiled the beta apk to search for an solution.

I'm not sure, but i think the problem can be solved by fixing the second function.

package com.spotify.mobile.android.util;
public final String a(){
String str = Settings.Secure.getString(this.a.getContentResolver(), "android_id");
if (str == null)
str = "0";
return str;
}

public final String b(){
return ((TelephonyManager)this.a.getSystemService("phone")).getDeviceId();
}

Can't test anything, because i canceled my premium subscription.

Nice to know: They are actually working with Fragments, so a tablet layout might be possible *hope*

Marked as solution

Brilliant, there it is. If you have recompiled with the proper exception handling, I'd be very interesting in testing it. I can't believe the Spotify team is so slow at fixing this.

Marked as solution

HELLUP...

After all the problems and spotify not working on a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I decided to take the 7.7 with 3g so it must work now....

Problems again.......it crashes all the time after a crash I can not start it up again.

WHY?????  is there no solution...please help. 

Marked as solution

@plsderksen wrote:

HELLUP...

After all the problems and spotify not working on a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I decided to take the 7.7 with 3g so it must work now....

Problems again.......it crashes all the time after a crash I can not start it up again.

WHY?????  is there no solution...please help. 

Are you running the app version from the Play store? If so get the preview release from there and use this instead: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Marked as solution

The beta doesn't give you the option to control the location that files are saved to, but if you have installed it over the Play store version then it will use the same setting as you had in that.

If you uninstall the app and reinstall the version from Play, then get that location right (enter it at the login screen) and confirmed before updating to the preview release you should be OK.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Marked as solution

Hi,

i did that yesterday and again it crashed zo that is why I uninstalled it. I will try it this afternoon again.

I hope it will work now finally.

Only the new version is sooooo ugly....and not usefull with 2 row with download and not. I hope they will change this.

Marked as solution

I guess the last posts are a bit "off topic", and have nothing to do with the offline error that is discussed here!

Marked as solution

A possible work-around for those who have rooted devices: I have used the instructions at

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=426f9ce24e34a1aaad621a53fde99601&t=1004102

to "fake" an EMEI number for my rooted Nook Color running a Cyanogen(mod) 9 nightly ROM. After apply these modifications, Spotify works like a charm (though it forces you to re-sync all your music). The link is specific to Cyanogen(mod) on the Nook, but I suspect they can be generalized for other devices.

One word of warning: Do not do this if you've got a device with a cellular modem (like a phone)! It will almost certainly screw up your ability to access the cellular network!

Hope someone finds this helpful while we're all waiting on Spotify for a real fix.

71 Replies

Hey Frida,

It looks like you've somehow ended up with two accounts - the original from Spotify and a duplicate created via Facebook.

To sort this out, you'll need to drop us a message through our Contact Form. You'll find this by clicking on About Us at the top of this page.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I have the same issue, it never gets online.

Hey ronnoc3, you're getting this within the Android app? Make sure you have a good wifi/3G signal - perhaps try over another network if possible.

Resetting your password has also been known to help with offline issues in the past before. So you could try that as well.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Okay I have been having the same problem on my phone and tablet.It keeps saying im in offline mode but I have internet acceess and it never gets out of offline mode. I have reset my password as well as reboot.What do I do?

prj0510, which devices are you using? Not all models are currently compatible with Spotify - see spotify.com/mobile for a full list - but we are of course working to change that.

Hi,

I am having same problem, 50 minutes to go online and no way to do this, very xxxxxxx frustrating, please sort out or help, i have logged in out gone through all settings, please please help.........................................................................

Hi Same problem now with my galaxy Tab and also yesterday I created a lot of lists to play offline....but no qay I can play them.

here i have wifi and I can not do anything. 

But on my phone i have no problems....WHY...I have till 18/4 to end my trail period of Spotify but...if these problems are not solved I will not be al user for long. 

I'm having the same issue.  I can't seem to get Spotify to detect my device.  I went through m.spotify.com and said my phone was compatible even though it isn't on the list.  I have a Motorola Razr Maxx.  If I can't use my phone then I see no point in keeping my premium subscribtion which would suck because I really liked having Spotify.  Please help!

I also started getting this, both on Android and Ipod, can log in (through Facebook) and

get in, but offline and then immediately the apps quit. This has worked for several months

(have premium account). I can access from desktop, but if I can't use the service in mobile

it is useless to me. Sent question to Spotify support, but they never answer, what a crappy

company!

Will terminate my account soon if not fixed and move on to some better service.

Marty

BTW: saw this thread

Re: Bug: Android app crashes on startup with too many playlists

Removed all playlists except one, but problem is still there. Something is seriously wrong with the mobile apps.

Marty

Looks like no one is able to help us.....we better just stop all subscribtions then the maybe help us.

I'm having the same problem on the same device

@plsderksen wrote:

Hi Same problem now with my galaxy Tab and also yesterday I created a lot of lists to play offline....but no qay I can play them.

here i have wifi and I can not do anything. 

But on my phone i have no problems....WHY...I have till 18/4 to end my trail period of Spotify but...if these problems are not solved I will not be al user for long. 

, and I'm seriously considering rhapsody

Hey guys,

We're happy to announce that a Preview version of the new Spotify app is out now at http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

It contains some new bug fixes, among other things, so give it a go and let us know what you think.

Wow total nu looks don''t know if it is better.

BUT Still offline problem.....

I have the same issue on my HTC Desire HD! I can't now even log in to the new beta app with either Facebook or my Spotify sign on details. Why is there no help desk 'phone number available? Very frustrating!

I only installed it on my tab 8.9 becuase there it is not working on mu HTC DesireHD it works prefectly so I do not change there.

Marked as solution

I may have a start of answer to your problem.

To "solve" this issue, just clear app data (go to Android Settings -> Apps -> Spotify -> Clear data), launch Spotify, connect it to your account and do not synchronize playlists.

Hope this will help you 🙂

@Kyriog wrote:

... using a device that does not have a "correct" IMEI number

You, sir, are a genius. 

Using the Spotify Beta released earlier today, my Asus Transformer will download a playlist, but will then constantly cycle the "you are offline" popup at the bottom of the screen.

My Transformer is a wifi-only model and normally shows no IMEI in Android Settings.

However, if I reboot then plug in a USB 3G Modem (with no SIM card in it), an IMEI appears in Android Settings.  If I then start Spotify, it is happy to download multiple playlists via Wifi.  I can even remove the USB modem once download has started, presumably because the IMEI of that modem is still visible in Android Settings until a reboot.

Good, so this bug appears to be 100% confirmed, diagnosed and tested.  We can presumably expect a fix from Spotify very soon, then! </sarcasm>

That is terrible if that is the problem.  I hope you can fix that quiet soon. 

I like to use mine at work were we have wifi. And aso I have a player when I do long walks so then  I cannot use spotify that is a great miss. That is the reason I bought it...

When My device is online (sometimes) I can put offline music on it and use it that is no problem but then it goes offline and add nothing more....

I hope a solution will come soon. 

Suggested posts