Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Bookmark Position in an Audiobook or Podcast

Solved!

[All Platforms] Bookmark Position in an Audiobook or Podcast

I'm still missing a bookmark function in Spotify. When I drive long distance by car I listen to audio books, my son listens to different audio books befor he goes to sleep,  at work I listen to music and at sports to different music. The only way to save my position in the audio books is actually a screenshot. A bookmark would be a very simple function but It would be very comfortable.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It is not like a screenshot since you can somewhat organize your books with different bookmarks. Additional you just need to tap on them instead of searching in an album(book) with 300 songs/chapter/pages. I was not disagreeing on the topic. But I guess helping even a little is not appreciated. So yea good luck waiting with your screenshot selection 🙂

View solution in original post

10 Replies

I do have a workaround for this problem [mobile only], although it's not perfect

Go to your playlist/album of your audiobook
If you want to bookmark a book chapter just click the 3 dots and select "hide song" [mobile only]
-> This will grey out this chapter but keep it in the list. You have an easy bookmark without syncing/exporting anything to Google Keep or whatever. Just don't forget to undo this

Any audiobook app has this feature of course, and it keeps those position markers on any audiobook you started of course. Spotify basically has no way of discerning audiobooks from music it seems. I go out of my way NOT to listen to audiobooks on Spotify - I listen to audiobooks EVERY DAY - and have yet to listen to one on Spotify, despite there being a  good selection of titles. DarkMikey's workaround is good but only a hack. You should be able to press pause in an audiobook on your earphones without grabbing the phone and opening the app. And later in the day after you've done hundrets of other things with your phone (including listening to muisic) you should be able to return to the book and pick up where you left.

We still desperately need a bookmark function for audiobooks!!!!!!  I find if funny I can bookmark this page 🙂 

Can’t believe this has been an issue for so long. Spotify team, you need a bookmark feature for audiobooks, this is a basic staple. I just bought my first and now last audiobook on your platform unless we get this basic functionality added unfortunately. 

Yep, bumping for a bookmark feature..

Same. I cannot believe such an obvious feature is still missing. Please add this.

As the audiobooks that I listen to often consist of hundreds of short "songs", I solved this earlier by adding it to my favorite songs with the heart icon. I could see the heart then later, when I browsed the song list of the audiobook. I start the audiobook again and with one touch the heart was gone again.

Now with the latest UX changes it became more cumbersome: I need to touch the checkmark. When I search where I left off, I now need to go to my liked songs check the number of the song, open the audio book and manually search for the right song as in the list the checkmark is not visible. I start the song, I click on the checkmark in the new screen, then a new screen opens where I need to choose from where I want change the checkmark for this song.

If anybody knews a better workaround of the usage of bookmarks, please let me know. Thanks!

You can use the Share button and share it with your Notes app. Just make sure that you share the song and not the album

Hi,
this is just a hack and just like a screenshot of the title. I had several audiobook apps for trial and everywhere it is just a press on pause, switching to another story and somewhen returning to the first book and press play again and continue right where I stopped last. It is so simple to add this function but for years nothing happened
Marked as solution

It is not like a screenshot since you can somewhat organize your books with different bookmarks. Additional you just need to tap on them instead of searching in an album(book) with 300 songs/chapter/pages. I was not disagreeing on the topic. But I guess helping even a little is not appreciated. So yea good luck waiting with your screenshot selection 🙂

Suggested posts