Add a "Released in last X# years" filter

Purpose: Single slide control to filter radio and playlists to play songs released in the last set number of years. Or, dual slider control to allow user to filter played songs to a specific range of years.

The idea is to allow the user to either hear just songs recently released (ie. last year or last 2 years) or, with a dual slider, allow them to filter a radio or playlist to hearing songs released during a set range such as perhaps when they were in high school, college, the year they were married, etc.

The default should be any release year so that users happy with how Spotify currently filters/shuffles/selects tracks to play are unaffected.

They could add a toggle checkbox so that your filter range is either remembered for next session or resets to the default when you close the app/logout.

I'm highly confident that release date is a datapoint in their database but, I'm betting against they track original release date for tracks that subsequently appear on live releases, greatest hits and other compilations. So while you could use my suggested feature to play songs that came out from 2001-2010, versions of Rush's "Tom Sawyer" as an example may get played even though it originally was on their Moving Pictures release in 1981 because it appeared on at least 3 live releases during that 10 year span. But, that would be a minor quibble that should really only bother the purists.

For me I would like this because there are times I want to focus on just newer releases of a specific genre. So if I pick a band like Stone Sour and use Spotify's radio feature, it would be nice to be able to tell it to play stuff that came out just this year or in either 2013 or 2014 so when Spotify matches up the band Theory of a Deadman for that radio, I hear just tracks from their new release "Savages" as opposed to simply what's most popular overall for the artist. 

Updated: 2015-08-10

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Comments
Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Marco
Community Legend
Status changed to: Inactive Idea
Updated: 2015-08-10

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (25 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea in a little different form again! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of our community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!