Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] No Ads in Podcasts for Spotify Premium users

I pay for my subscription. Every month for years now. The main reason I am a paid-for subscriber with Spotify is so I don't have to hear ads. As I have shifted my podcast listening from other providers to Spotify to bypass ads, both from the platform as well as integrated into the content.

I expect not to hear ads on Spotify. I understand there are ads woven into the actual content of the podcast itself, but for as big of a company and the amount of leverage Spotify has, I expect to not hear ads so long as I am paying for the service.

I reached out to Spotify and got this lazy, generic answer from Joy in Spotify Customer Support: “if you're hearing ads on podcasts using this Premium account. It's possible that the podcaster integrated that ads to their podcast content”. Thanks for breaking your back on that response.

I KNOW what the ads I’m hearing are. And I understand they can’t ask podcasters to export two versions, one with integrated ads and one without. What I expect from Spotify is to either implement metadata that tags the beginning and ending of ad segments and bypass them for us, Premium subscribers, or require podcasters to give metadata timecodes that Spotify can identify to bypass them AUTOMATICALLY.

Just to be clear, even if these identifiers are put into the content, I don’t want to have to pull my phone out to hit any sort of “skip ads” button. This is literally the ONLY reason users have Premium. So get rid of the ads. It’s actually very simple. And let’s not get started on how archaic it is to continually hit the “15sec forward” button to bypass the ads, first over shooting, then undershooting the duration of the integrated ad, only to have to make peace with hearing the last ten seconds of the ad. At that point it’s not servicing either party in the transaction.

It’s 2020. You are a huge company with a lot of leverage and a huge developer budget. I honestly can’t believe I’m even having to write this suggestion.

tl:dr - Spotify, I am a Premium member. You made a promise to me that if I became a Premium member, I wouldn’t hear ads. I’m hearing ads on podcasts. Integrated or not, I don’t care. You have the technology and power to fix it. So fix it. And make it automatic. It’s 2020.

Updated on 2023-04-15

Hey folks,

The Ideas section provides users with the opportunity to share their opinion on what features and app improvements can be developed, to make Spotify better. This idea however, in it's core fundamentals, requires to change how the Premium subscription works and what opportunities Spotify offers to Podcast creators.

As part of the Premium subscription, all music can be enjoyed ad-free. And while Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcasts may include advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship independently of the streaming platforms featuring such podcasts.

Providing a way to circumvent those is not something that our Idea submission process can accomplish.

This doesn't mean that your feedback isn't heard and that this request couldn't be fulfilled by some other means in the future. On the contrary, this is being monitored and we invite everyone to share their opinion in a constructive manner. We will then ensure to pass it on to the relevant teams.

Please do note, that we do understand the overall sentiment and if the thread stops being useful as a source to track constructive feedback, we will need to close it for further replies.

All the best!

Comments
Mario
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-02-08

Hello everyone,

This Idea has been brought to our attention as it recently passed the 500 votes threshold but we have to close it since it requests something that can't be influenced in the context of the Idea Exchange.

The Ideas section provides users with the opportunity to share their opinion on what features and app improvements can be developed, to make Spotify better. This idea however, in it's core fundamentals, requires to change how the Premium subscription works and what opportunities Spotify offers to Podcast creators. 

As part of the Premium subscription, all music can be enjoyed ad-free. And while Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcasts may include advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship independently of the streaming platforms featuring such podcasts.

Providing a way to circumvent those is not something that our Idea submission process can accomplish.

This doesn't mean that your feedback isn't heard and that this request couldn't be fulfilled by some other means in the future. On the contrary, this is being monitored and we invite everyone to share their opinion in a constructive manner. We will then ensure to pass it on to the relevant teams.

Please do note, that we do understand the overall sentiment and if the thread stops being useful as a source to track constructive feedback, we will need to close it for further replies.

All the best!

fusion28

I have seen this posted over and over for the last 3 years plus. Now, it is getting out of line as it just isn't podcasters reading the ads embedded into the episode. It actually kicks you out of the episode and you're stuck listening to 2-4 ads. I have paid premium since it was first started and have been a member since you guys first started (yes I switched accounts in 2016). You guys have to fix this. We can't keep asking for this to be fixed without any results. There as to be a customer service and response loop. We are paying extra for no ads, so fix this. Make it a policy on your platform that the podcasters have to adhere to. This has thousands of up votes throughout the years, don't really know what else you need from us customers to change this. 

ldsau

Replace with call to action in the app and in playback to donate to artist/creator 

jpaezsa

YOU SELL ME - PREMIUM = NO ADS THAT'S WHAT I WANTED!… 

JOE ROGAN PODCAST ADS - NOT IN THE AUDIO, ARE A COMPLETE PAUSE TO PLACE IT 

I'M SO MAD ABOUT THIS!… 

ckabus

Fix it! Why am I even bothering to pay for premium... So disappointing. 

As a Spotify PREMIUM subscriber, when I am listening to certain podcasts on your platform, Ads interrupt the podcast.  Here is just one of many possible scenarios...

A question is asked on a podcast, then all of a sudden Ads interrupt the response.  Then after the ads, where the interview continues makes no sense.  I tried to rewind to listen, but was met with more Ads.  and I am paying for this.

That needs to be fixed.

kalyna_sparks

I pay for spotify premium and I really wish that podcasts didn't have advirtising- similar to how music doesn't have any advirtising. This is what I pay for- or so I thought- uninterupted listening to the content I want.
I also wish podcasts didn't disguise advirtising within the podcast as read by the podcast hosts.
Is there any content we can access these days without advirtising??!!!
Who is with me?!

rover71

Perhaps I love this idea, I think it's something coming from the podcast producer and not from Spotify.

Dear Community and Spotify,

So first off Spotify buys the rights of the Joe Rogan podcast and make it exclusive to spotify.
The deal has been sold to the public, that there would be no changes for the viewers/listeners. Which was highly unlikely, however I would give it a shot.
The podcast was available on the free version, However the first couple of months I got a premium account, just to support spotify. 
Then there was a media issue on a possible content control attempt of the JRE podcast. Which didn't happen. However the chances of this coming back was enough for me to stop my premium account. At this point I was still able to view / listen to the podcast, with the added advertisements that popup and could be closed (PC version). This was irritating however, spotify needs to earn there investment back, so some ads I could live with.
Later on the podcast has audio advertisements in between the podcast. This makes podcast unwatchable and unlistenable. So I did a search on the spotify community, and it shows that multiple users including premium users have audio ads in between the podcast. This makes it unwatchable and unlistenable for the users even with a premium account. So there is as of now no way to watch and/or listen to the podcast without ads. So spotify made the podcast exclusive to spotify and after that ruins it with ads. Which was/is not as advertised or sold to the public.
Is there any way to get the Joe Rogan Podcast as it was on Youtube? If the answer is no? This has changed the listener and /or viewer experience by alot. And this breeches the promise made to the viewers /listeners. 
This ofcourse seemed to good to be true. However I feel quite strongly that this ruined one of my favorite podcasts.

With kind regards,
Ramon

Emi93

Instead of not being able to avoid embedded ads for podcasts; users can choose to pay a higher rate service to have ad free listening. As-in actual ad free. 

I have had Spotify for 5+ years and have loved the service. Until, the recent shift that premium users don’t get ad free podcasts anymore. It is really frustrating and can definitely spoil a listening experience. 

By having this option users can choose to pay more for an all ad free platform. I understand content creators using it as a method to make more income, hence the additional membership payment. A portion goes to content creators so those users can have ad free listening. 

Unfortunately, I don’t know how embedded ads work so I don’t know if this would mean more work for creators. I.e having to create different videos or something, one with ads/one without. 

And to be fair, I don’t know at what rate of pay would be worth it to a content creator to not have embedded ads. I.e it could make the monthly rate really high (which might be why Spotify has the set up as it is now) 

But I think it is a viable option compared to what is was before. That only benefits the listener and no one else. I feel this is a more realistic option.