Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Please make genderstar in german language optional

Hello Team,

as i wrote in the subject, i would like to request you to create a second kind of german language setting, one "traditional german" option and one "gender sensitve" option for those who like this more than the traditional german.

For me i have to say that the gender sensitive variant of the german language is really hard to read and gives with every star within the words an opstacle.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thomas

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Brunelicia
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-02-02

Marked as new idea. 🙂

vanellus

Don't make it optional, simply STOP that nonsense and revert to standard german language. I do not want feminist indoctrination while using Spotify.

thomrueck

Gendering should at least be optional, better yet removed completely, or done in a professional way. (Currently there IS NO professional way of doing it. There are many different options. For example the "binnen I", which means that you write "KünsterInnen" instead. Or the more traditional Gendering way: "Künstler/innen" or "Künstler/innen". Or the non-gendered gendering way: "Künstler" since this doesn't mean male performers at all. 

19sakic19

I fully agree with the comments here.  Not only is gendering a very controversially discussed political topic and its‘ right implementation is as debated as its‘ grammatical correctness. Last but not least, it just makes using Spotify much less enjoyable. So at least a „regular/classic German“ option would be highly appreciated. 

zzertaul

EDIT:
I will explain this problem to non-German speakers with analogies to the English language. Let's pretend that Spotify is not about "artists", but "actors" for a second to make things easier to explain.

Imagine the word "actor". You can also explicitly specify that the actor is female and say "actress". However, when you say "actors", it is gender-neutral. In the new Spotify translations, every time you used to read "actors" and variations (e.g. "actors playlists"), now you will read: "actor*tresses" (actors = males, actresses = females, * = other gender identities) and "actor*tresses playlists" instead of just saying "actors" and "actors playlists".

This goes without saying, but the asterisk (*) is not a part of the German alphabet. Moreover, the asterisk and the ending of the female-only plural combined together (*tresses) and added to a word (actor) is not a word (actor*tresses) in the standard German language. Just as this cannot be pronounced in English, it cannot be pronounced in German either.  This is used by <1% of people in written language. Everybody would write "Actors" and "Actors playlists".

-------------- original post --------------

Please use standard German in your translations. The so called gender star is not a part of the standard language and is also controversial - this is not even taught in language schools. In the real world, it is not being used almost anywhere - open any serious newspaper and see for yourself. It just looks horrible and I do not want to have this as a part of my user experience. I am seriously considering using another streaming service and spending my money elsewhere if this does not get changed. You don't want to use substandard and controversial language, which is not even being used by your own customers (< 1%), in your official translations.

It's "Künstler" and not "Künstler*innen"
It's "Künstler-Playlists" and not "Künstler*innen-Playlist"

Also imagine what this looks like as tab text on cellphones, as it takes double the space.

Gtlng

I would rather use my Spotify app in English than in this crippled German. But that is also not possible.

KingHotzenplotz

It's really ugly to read and not needed. Please remove it and go back to "proper" German.

A workaround would be using English language. But Android does not support to change just one app to another language (without root).

zzertaul

I added an explanation with analogies to the English language. Somebody had posted this earlier, but removed their post. I found it cool and appended my previous post.

Quadroluxinator

Ich möchte vor allem nicht dafür bezahlen, einer Ideologie ausgesetzt zu sein, die ich inhaltlich im Gänze ablehne. Spotify muss unpolitisch bleiben. 

audiosonic

I agree. When navigating from a song to its album or artist, it was very clear and satisfying to press on "Kuenstler" (and i always associated a gender neutral and normal meaning with it anyway, like "band") . Now "Kuenstler*innen" takes away a few seconds of my thinking time and nerves every time i have to see this socially corrosive gender nonsense. They should at least make it optional.