Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Please make genderstar in german language optional

Hello Team,

as i wrote in the subject, i would like to request you to create a second kind of german language setting, one "traditional german" option and one "gender sensitve" option for those who like this more than the traditional german.

For me i have to say that the gender sensitive variant of the german language is really hard to read and gives with every star within the words an opstacle.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thomas

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
jhoos70

Are you joking on us, Spotify? Do you hate your customers so much? Closing this despite meeting the requirements is spitting on us. Sorry for the hard words but that's what it is.

Buddie89
Buddie89

Like why should I choose my prenouns? 

Why should I accept this**bleep** with genderstar.

I am politically left, but you guys driving me crazy with this. I dont accept it. Premium canceled. 

DerNomade

See german translation in first comment

Spotify has gendered the German language with the " * " in their apps.

Spotify should not take a political position here, but dedicate itself to its business.

Gendering does not lead to better German but is discriminatory against our language and culture.

The grammatical gender is the genus and not the biological **bleep** (sexus).

The Council for German Orthography lays down the foundations for this.

According to various surveys, 65-80% of the population are against gendering and are thus a majority according to democratic understanding.

I have seen that there have already been various attempts within the Spotify community to change these settings. However, these proposals were closed due to lack of participation. In my opinion, this lack of support is probably due to the fact that not every user who is annoyed about this circumstance is also active in the community and is looking for a solution there.

My proposal differs from the previous attempts to demand a non-gendered German language setting directly.

Instead, you should conduct a public, generally accessible and binding survey among Spotify users in the German-speaking countries and announce it in advance in a newsletter and not hide it in the community forum.

The result of this democratic poll should decide on the withdrawal of this political and ideological measure and the return to the correct German language.

And if you find that there is a majority in favour of the gender star-free version, you can still hold to your ideology and implement a freely selectable setting with the "*".

In my opinion, that would be the most democratic and pragmatic solution to avoid further discussions.

---

Und dann noch ein Bitte an die Spotify-User, die das unterstützen, teilt diese Umfrage auch in den sozialen Medien.
Je mehr Unterstützer wir bekommen umso wahrscheinlicher ist es, das sich Spotify vielleicht doch mit dem Thema beschäftigt!

DerNomade

Und hier die deutsche Übersetzung dazu

Spotify hat die deutsche Sprache mit dem " * " in ihren Apps geschlechtsspezifisch verändert.

Spotify sollte hier keine politische Position beziehen, sondern sich um ihr Geschäft kümmern.

Gendern führt nicht zu besserem Deutsch, sondern ist diskriminierend gegenüber unserer Sprache und Kultur.

Das grammatische Geschlecht ist das Genus und nicht das biologische Geschlecht (Sexus).

Der Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung legt die Grundlagen dafür fest.

Nach verschiedenen Umfragen sind 65-80% der Bevölkerung gegen das Gendern und das ist nach demokratischem Verständnis eine Mehrheit.

Ich habe gesehen, dass es innerhalb der Spotify-Community bereits verschiedene Versuche gegeben hat, diese Einstellungen zu ändern. Diese Vorschläge wurden jedoch aufgrund mangelnder Beteiligung eingestellt. Meiner Meinung nach ist diese mangelnde Unterstützung wohl darauf zurückzuführen, dass nicht jeder Nutzer, der sich über diesen Umstand ärgert, auch in der Community aktiv ist und dort nach einer Lösung sucht.

Mein Vorschlag unterscheidet sich von den bisherigen Versuchen, direkt eine geschlechtsneutrale deutsche Spracheinstellung zu fordern.

Stattdessen sollten Sie eine öffentliche, allgemein zugängliche und verbindliche Umfrage unter Spotify-Nutzern im deutschsprachigen Raum durchführen und diese vorab in einem Newsletter ankündigen und nicht im Community-Forum verstecken.

Das Ergebnis dieser demokratischen Umfrage sollte über die Rücknahme dieser politisch-ideologischen Maßnahme und die Rückkehr zur korrekten deutschen Sprache entscheiden.

Und wenn Sie feststellen, dass es eine Mehrheit für die Genderstern freie Version gibt, können Sie immer noch an Ihrer Ideologie festhalten und eine frei wählbare Einstellung mit dem "*" einführen.

Das wäre meiner Meinung nach die demokratischste und pragmatischste Lösung, um weitere Diskussionen zu vermeiden.

DerNomade

Diese Idee wurde von Spotify ja leider geschlossen aber ich habe einen neuen Versuch gestartet. Dieses Mal mit der Bitte um eine Abstimmung unter allen deutschsprachigen Usern und nicht nur den wenigen, die hier im Community Forum unterwegs sind und zufällig nach zwei Jahren über das Thema stolpern

[All Platforms][Social] German language without *i... - The Spotify Community

Bitte abstimmen und Werbung dafür per Twitter, Facebook etc. machen

Slytzel

I think in a case were only a smaller amount of people can potentially participate, since this is only interesting to German users, the number of votes that needs to be reached should be smaller. Some might not be able to find this, since they cannot navigate a forum in english or do not expect to find a german related poll here.

I think taking away the * is going to beneficial to Spotify, since all recent polls show a big,  growing opposition against it in the public, besides for a loud minority. Also new studies show that people who are disabled in certain ways, or are for other reasons not able to read as good, have major issues with this kind of writing.

Besides that, the official international counsel for the German language (Deutscher Rechtschreibrat) did reject this idea as well for reasons rooted in linguistics.

I therefore plead to Spotify to reinstate the correct writing. Thank you for listening to our concerns!

Slytzel

@everyone support the new poll! https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Social-German-language-without-in/id...

Bitte neue Petition unterschreiben!

Whateverisneeded

Agree 100%. How can I vote for this?

LiNCHx

I completely agree. It becomes really difficult to read parts of the user interface because there is a "*" in every word.