[All Platforms][Podcasts] Picture-in-Picture (PiP) Mode

Now that Spotify is investing more in video, I think it's important to allow for flexibility in how users watch videos on their devices.

By allowing for Picture-in-Picture (PiP), users would be able to play Spotify videos in the background, which is not only a major enhancement to the current experience, but is also more consistent with how audio works in Spotify.

On iOS and Mac, more and more apps are adopting the native PiP functionality, including Safari, YouTube, Twitch, etc. I think it would be good for Spotify to do the same.

Updated on 2021-03-23

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Comments
Elena
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-09-03

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

robinbmac

This would be awesome if implemented !!! Pls make it happen 🙂 

davetheword

Completely agree with this and will share it to reach the vote-goal. This has to be a feature if Spotify is planning to seriously compete in the podcast market.

@Elena although it’s not necessarily ideal from the users’ perspective, however if you need a good incentive to implement this feature, you could also tie this to a premium subscription like YouTube does - people are more likely to subscribe to Spotify Premium (or already are) than YouTube Premium which doesn’t offer too much value at the moment. This way you could leverage your music service to position yourselves ahead of the curb, dominate the market and with Joe Rogan on-board this would certainly bring more users and creators to your platform.

Good luck with this!

bhav1sh

This is vital after joe rogan is on spotify, used to use this feature on youtube all the time. This would have a 1000 votes if people found this page.

pyify
Visitor

In a future Spotify update, I would like to have the option to separate the podcast video from the main interface.

As it is now, on a desktop/laptop computer, we can only watch the video in two modes: (1) maximized to fill the entire screen or (2) at the top of the playlist in the fixed video size.

It would be nice to view the video in a detachable separate window that ALSO allows you to adjust the video dimensions (similar to how you can adjust a Youtube video size in a web browser anywhere on your screen).

MattSeligman

I'm sincerely wondering has Spotify added code to disable the Picture in Picture from working?

All of the browsers Picture in Picture works for only moments with Spotify then automatically pulls the video back to the browsers inner window? Are we voting for a feature to be added or are we voting for an existing function to be removed?

I am wondering if this is a method to force more ad revenue as this forced method we consistently see adds rather than only the video ads.

Jacob
Community Legend
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Kameronis
Visitor

It would be really nice to either  move the video around the application or be able to pop it out. A better option would be instead of pressing full screen it fills the screen it instead fills the window with the video.