[Desktop][Search] Bring back search bar to main page

In a recent update the search bar became hidden under a subpage (in the list to the left), instead of having it directly on the main page. This is objectively worse UX as it increases the amount of clicks required to reach search, seemingly only in favor of increasing ad space on the main page. 

Updated on 2021-05-15

Hey @andorz ,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely “Checking for existing ideas”.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

Keep in mind also that we've made sure that the change in position doesn't lead to an increase in the number of actions a user makes when searching, as previously a click was needed to activate the search bar. Now when you click Search the app automatically focuses the search input and you can start typing straight away after one click.

If you think your idea should be considered as separate, feel free to submit it again highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one.

Cheers!

Comments
jrham

I've also submitted this "Idea" and it was rejected because the "Idea" already existed, though they closed it and announced that they have no plan of reverting it back to its functional state.

Spotify people, this is a bad move; you keep getting frustrated users submitting the same idea that you wont fix; it's an obvious flaw in your updated interface (notice I didn't say "upgraded"?).

I will continue to submit this same "idea" until its reverted, or until you give us a compelling reason about why it was a good idea to hide the search feature behind a button. I'm sorry but "You need to click it to activate it, which works the same as before - you had to click in the search bar to start typing" is a **bleep**-poor explanation. 

Example: I have my playlist open, I'm trying to think of something to add, so I go to the permanent search bar at the top, I start typing, and a dropdown box appears and I can choose to click the result which takes me to the artist or song, it also gives me the three dot option to add the song, to a playlist or to share it, etc. The great thing about this is that I never have to leave the playlist page. With this update, I am forced to leave the playlist page I was on that iI didn't want to leave, and then brought to a separate search page. Once I find the thing I want, or don't find anything, I must then navigate back to the playlist I was on. Very inefficient. Unless you are trying to get us to see tailored adds/suggestions (which we DONT want (we pay you to not get ads and unwanted suggestions)), then what are you after? Please let us know your thought process here, the many hundreds of us that are active on these forums are clearly upset, and im sure thousands of others that dont know about this community would agree with us. 

djhollowpoint

I agree with this, there are many reasons to not want a separate option to run a search.  It was very nice to have the search bar at the top of the screen (out of the way) so we could run a search based on what we were currently looking at.  Not sure why it was ever removed in the first place, please restore it!

avecleigh

100% agree. As someone who uses the search bar constantly, the amount of extra clicking to get things done with the new update is ridiculous (both in terms of the search bar and having to click into individual albums). Like can you imagine if each time you wanted to navigate to a new webpage you had to open the search bar before you could type in the website? It would get annoying very quickly.

Pixelpusher93

As UI designer myself I'm also wondering why they removed the global search bar since it does not really take any extra space. I also want it back but to be fair it is no extra click. With the previous UI you had to click the search bar to type something in. Now you need to click the search tab on the side and the search input will be active without further clicks. So technically it's still 1 click. Maybe we just need to get used to it.

jrham

It’s no extra clicks to start the search, that’s true,

but what if you want to get back to where you were before it took you away? Sure click the back button at the top...an extra click? Just give us the global search bar that creates a dropdown window of suggestions based on what you type. From there, give us the three dot button that lets us do what we want with search results. We never have to leave the page we were on previously. 

Mihail
Status changed to: Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements

Updated on 2021-05-15

Hey @andorz ,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We’re closing this idea since it doesn’t meet one of our Idea Exchange guidelines, namely “Checking for existing ideas”.

A similar idea has already been suggested here - feel free to add your vote to it!

Keep in mind also that we've made sure that the change in position doesn't lead to an increase in the number of actions a user makes when searching, as previously a click was needed to activate the search bar. Now when you click Search the app automatically focuses the search input and you can start typing straight away after one click.

If you think your idea should be considered as separate, feel free to submit it again highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one.

Cheers!