[Other] Bring back 'Report Explicit Content' option

This is urgent. I listen with my daughter, and up until early January 2021 there was always a Report Explicit Content option. This has now been removed - why??

It has been removed on my iOS and my desktop.

I just came off a chat with 'John D' who said "the button for reporting explicit content has been removed as test is being run". Well by all means run a test for a few hours or even days, but not a MONTH.

This is not acceptable. A lot of songs which have not been flagged for explicit content are now playing, despite me having disabled explicit content in settings. But there is now no way to flag explicit content.

You need to reinstate this feature ASAP!

Updated on 2021-05-09

Hey @SoundCanvasUK 

Your Idea has been submitted a while ago, and unfortunately hasn't gathered enough votes (50 votes within 3 months) to keep it active in the Exchange. Be sure to know that this does not mean that your Idea has been declined by Spotify.

Don't worry, your Idea will still be able to gain more votes, and may get a Live Idea status if it receives enough of them.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂

Comments
Xenia
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-02-24

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've marked this as a new suggestion and we've also updated the title to clarify what you're requesting for other users.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

For now, we suggest you follow the steps here under Broken or incorrect content, if you come across a track that you think should be marked as explicit, to report it. Just keep in mind that explicit tags are the responsibility of the rights-holders and we won't be able to confirm if or when your specific request will be resolved.

Take care!

ArtisL
Regular

I just can't understand Spotify's resistance to this. What are the downsides to having the ability to report explicit lyrics or cover art?? 

AbrieP
Visitor

Absolutely agree. This suggestion seems to have been around since 2016, and the ability to do it has come and gone. Surely it cannot be that difficult to implement. 

You listen to a song, it contains explicit content, so you'd like to help out yourself and the rest of the Spotify community by flagging it. It will literally take 1 "moderator" a few mins(depending) on the length of the song to verify and implement the actual Explicit TAG.

SoundCanvasUK
Casual Listener
It is not difficult to implement in the slightest. And the function was available until January.

Spotify need to come clean about the reason for their neglect. My belief is that it can only be money related. Either they can’t be bothered to staff it, or they think that more E flags = fewer streams 😡

There are also many songs that have been around for years containing explicit lyrics that have not even been flagged E. Baffling and upsetting.
Visitor

Hi Spotify.

we need to be able to manually mark content as explicit otherwise there is no point in opting in or out of explicit content at all.

EuroDecibel
Visitor

In order to stream music at home or in the car I need to filter explicit content.

Please either mark the content yourself, or let folks vote in order to alert you to the explicit content.

Spotify should not be so wishy-washy on this.

freeloader

I love sharing my music with my son. I have music on all day long. But since the ability to report explicit content has been removed, I have noticed a lot more swearing creeping in to our Spotify generated playlists,despite having explicit content switched off. 

I often switch the filter off when he's not around as there are plenty of artists I like who do swear, so I'm happy to keep the option of having explicit content but when I switch it off, I need to be sure that he won't hear something he shouldn't. 

Otherwise, I will need to explore other music streaming provides and take my subscription elsewhere, after many many years of being a premium user. 

osornios
Spotify Star
Spotify Star
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-05-09

Hey @SoundCanvasUK 

Your Idea has been submitted a while ago, and unfortunately hasn't gathered enough votes (50 votes within 3 months) to keep it active in the Exchange. Be sure to know that this does not mean that your Idea has been declined by Spotify.

Don't worry, your Idea will still be able to gain more votes, and may get a Live Idea status if it receives enough of them.

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂

BlueSymphony3
Visitor

I am tired of coming across explicit tracks even though my explicit content filter is turned on. Songs with offensive language should be able to be reported so that they can be properly labeled and not aired to those who do not have any desire whatsoever to listen to them. Also family plans will be better able to filter out what their family members, such as young children, are able to listen to.

Xenosaur

I have two daughters and they both follow several Youtubers. Today I found out that some Youtubers (not musicians) also make music. When listening to some of their songs there are of course those with explicit content, without being marked as such. This is sad. I agree with SoundCanvasUK. Money rules the world and this also applies to Spotify. More E-flags probably means less money in the bank. Why else remove the option to report?