Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

music-blog-01.jpg

Music Monday

#MusicMonday Review - July 2021

osornios

#MusicMonday is the hashtag I've been using for quite a while to share music recommendations from up-and-coming artists. Always fresh, and always different, trying to look for trends before they become one. You can check June's review for more music.

We kick off the second half of 2021 with a very eclectic selection of genres, themes, and locations, that truly leaves us with a craving for more. Let's have a listen, with a word from the artists themselves. 🎧

Broken Lines – Out of Control

brokenlines.jpgI'm on the outside looking in
I sit and wonder where you've been

So many self imposed restrictions
Crazy diets and forced addictions

Do we really see what’s real?
Or are we part of the media wheel
Mixing truth with lies

There's no better way to begin the month than with a great bass line, and this Pembrokeshire, West Wales band provides one that guides us through a reflection of today's society. Great stuff:

"the song is a rebellious cry for help, understanding and above all, recognition. Shouting out about how the rules and regulations that we live by are so misguided and based around profit and power. How the media has become an intrinsic part of society’s false Gods and how they are used to distract the masses. Are they the true overlords? How the decision makers are so disconnected from the very planet that gives them life and how disconnected we are as a species (...I’m on the outside looking in...) and how all this is creating a world that is out of control - famine, deforestation, factory farming, racism, weapons, wars, social divide, nuclear disasters and pandemics and how they are dealt with."

spotify:track:4MbcpL5hh3FyaFf7UpQdr6:small

Jessica Mellado – Llamaste

jessicamellado.jpg

Siento que caminas tan lejos
ya casi no te veo, ya casi no te veo
Después de regar con llantos perdidos, me hice valiente, aprendí a quererme.

Sola hice el camino más fuerte, como no me di cuenta, detrás estaba ella.
Como imaginar que esta vida guardaba una sorpresa.

We move to Olot, in Catalonia, Spain for a Latin Pop track which brings together two of the many faces of love:

"I wrote this song in two parts. The first part I wrote when I was forgetting my ex- girlfriend. And after a year I went back to the song and wrote the second part when I met my other partner."

spotify:track:1aYpGJqV4dSAA1LJuywxIs:small  

VIEJO ROBLE – Viejo Roble

viejoroble.jpg

El camina a su suerte
La gente lo mira mal,
Por el sendero del olvido va,

Su tristeza es maldita,
Es golpeado por la desdicha
Recorriendo tierras de arcilla va.

Viejo Roble donde estaras?
Quizás buscando la libertad

From El Monte, Chile, give a listen to a Hard Rock track with an old school vibe, extended guitar solo included. It truly oozes energy with an attitude:

"The song arose from the themes of legends, Viejo Roble tells the story of a hermit who tries to survive the abhorrence of the people, the prejudice of believing that he is a witch and that he works under the orders of the devil. a superficial society, where the appearance is worth more than the person and their virtues."

spotify:track:6F00Q2GlqALs160GTlRD73:small 

The Great Leslie – See You Again

thegreatleslie.jpg

I tried everything I could,

To clear the sorrows that settled in my blood,

Don’t think it’s gonna be there forever,

Least of all when we’re together,

Can’t we just meet up now?

Impatience is bad, but I’ve been bad for a while,

I don’t like this space between us,

Least of all when I feel this buzz,

It’s been far too long my friend,

But you know that I will see you again,

I’ll wait.

Another stop in our journey, another genre: from London, England, it's time to listen to some Indie Rock with a message of friendship and hope:

"See You Again was really brought about by the Covid 19 pandemic. Really we tied it in to that feeling of longing/missing someone you haven’t seen for a long long time. Those friends who go and live abroad or the people you meet and don’t see for years. How great it is to see them when you haven’t seen them in far too long. But Covid really made that feeling just strengthen and we had it for every single friend. So many people we just wanted to see and we felt positive that we would be able too again soon."

spotify:track:4MVopsJd9BbslMUtQl2Rd4:small 

Ducks Ltd. – Get Bleak

ducksltd.jpg

How many times will I hear you complain

there's nothing for you here.

You flew across an ocean to

get bleak.

We move to Toronto Canada, for another Indie track with some 80s vibe about the complications of migration:

"It was more a series of interactions and instances. Watching friends take these big leaps into moving across the world and then coming back disappointed, and my own experiences of moving/immigrating. It's hard! It's almost always hard and it gets worse before it gets better, and I think that is sort of the core where it's coming from."

spotify:track:2pCnWG3b9enBXUMrVlAjix:small 

Thrillhouse – Take Care

thrillhouse.jpgSeems like the stars will not align
We tried and tried for such a long time

When we’re apart we are at peace
Together ‘woo’ we’re in pieces
There’s no good choice left

Take care

Our last track of the month brings us more Indie goodness, with a personal message to someone you may not want around anymore:

"I just wanted to write a tune about having to say goodbye to someone that you don’t necessarily want to but it’s for the best. I’m sure we’ve all been there."

spotify:track:5XHFcHyTmcUGUqCs4amV7h:small 

Listen to them and much more on the complete Playlist

spotify:user:osornios:playlist:2IYRLjcwf2X9vC0QrI0b0P

See you next month!

1 Comment