Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

5.png

#MusicMonday Review - June 2022

osornios

#MusicMonday is the hashtag I've been using for quite a while to share music recommendations from up-and-coming artists. Always fresh, and always different, trying to look for trends before they become one. You can check May's review for more music.

June... what a rocking month it was, with its multiple subgenres representing the fighting spirit within. Let's have a listen, with a word from the artists themselves. 🎧

Carpark – The World Ended in 2012

Carpark.jpgI can't hide the words I say when I get lost
A foreign dream in a language I can't turn off
Track my heart, track my life
You can see my every move online
Please leave me alone

Nothing lasts that long anyway
Don't know what we expected
Spinning 'round and 'round and 'round and 'round
So many things we left neglected

Welcome to the post-2012 world. From London, England, let's begin today's journey listening to an Indie Emo track where the future is (still) unknown. How does it work when everything's broken?

"I think the initial flicker of inspiration came from a book I was reading at the time. Then we started delving in to how the world was 'supposed' to end in 2012.

We actually wrote it before lockdown or any mention of the C word."

spotify:track:3sPcDaahxCFYj3XUXJr3Pw:small

DR!FTWOOD – Home on My Own

Driftwood.jpgShould I be excited
Or should I be worried
about you instead

We move north to Manchester for a Pop Rock tune that begs to be listened live from the opening bass line to the sing-along chorus:

"The song was written after a night out in Manchester, but includes experiences that we’ve been through. The song is really about how important someone can be to you and you may not realize it until they’re gone"

spotify:track:4TwIOGWp4HFIf0hvfJ4sTb:small  

Woodwolf – John Brown

Woodwolf.jpgHere's the story of John Brown
So silent when he comes around
People know they are near the end
if they see his shadow in the desert sand

Nobody wants to fight with Brown
The most dangerous cowboy in town
One day the reaper came to take his life
He stabbed it down and hard with his knife

All good rock songs begin with great riffs, and this Quebec City, Canada band has them. Don't try to run, don't try to hide, this song will break you down:

"Everything started from the guitar riff, we wanted a story that fit with the riff, and the idea of a badass cowboy came from our imagination. LOL."

spotify:track:6lhjPiXVU0m3K2rEwG9C3z:small 

Wetlands – You Left Your Empty Drink In My Car

Wetlands.jpgI can tell that something's wrong

I can see what’s underneath

You don’t care what you take

as long as you get what you need

You bring me down and it’s you in the spotlight

All while you suck me dry

Hope it makes you feel alright

Our travels around the world wouldn't be complete without a visit to Brisbane, Australia, which offers some angry Alt Rock vibes about the shells we use to hide what we can really be:

"Basically the song is us venting about our frustrations with egotistical/narcissistic ex friends/people in our life. Sadly some people are more than happy to use you up for what you’re good for while simultaneously bringing you down, and sometimes it’s easier to just accept that rather than trying to appease them."

spotify:track:4CXQb6JxGbG0dGdN5m9RYN:small 

Ace Laurentt – Far Away

AceLaurentt.jpgI’ma take you far

Far away

You caught my eyes now I can’t look, away

Going through withdrawals

So I numb the pain

I know you’ll stay, but I just need the chase

I love the way

You touch my face

I love the place

Where we both lay

I love the grave

That we both made

Last stop, Broward County, Florida for a trippy Alternative track about meeting someone you wish you never did, and the need to break loose to keep living your life:

"So I was seeing this girl for a while. She wasn’t the best person when it came to life decisions or making choices but we had a lot of fun together and that kinda made up for the bad decisions she was making. Eventually I had to cut it off because I knew it wasn’t something that was gonna end well and I ended up writing a song about it."

Listen to them and much more on the complete Playlist

spotify:user:osornios:playlist:2IYRLjcwf2X9vC0QrI0b0P

See you next month!

Dedicated to my good friend JSC.