Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Releasing a remaster of a song that's already been released under a different artist name?

Releasing a remaster of a song that's already been released under a different artist name?

Hi everyone, so I'm wondering if it's possible to have the same song exist under two different artist names (the song will be a remastered version but essentially sound identical). Long story short, I have a song I released in 2016 under my old band that has a couple of million streams and continues to get approx 1m streams a year, so rather than risking re-releasing it and trying to track link all the meta data I would much prefer to just release a remastered version. However I've never actually seen an example of this done before and just want to make sure that the remastered version wouldn't affect the original release in any way shape or form. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could please advise me on this. Many thanks, J

1 Reply

Hey @josh_wav 

I guess the main trouble why people don't do that is that it's seen as two separate songs by the system. I see that doesn't bother you as much, in fact it seems that's your intention. Is that right?

As long as you have the rights for both the old original under the old artist name, and the new (same) release under the new name, it should be fine. It is probably better to have the song title saying it has been remastered (song name - remastered) so fans won't get confused about it. But that's up to you to decide. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts