Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[ Linux/Ubuntu ] Spotify both freezes and logs me out of my system

[ Linux/Ubuntu ] Spotify both freezes and logs me out of my system

I've had spotify for about 9 months or so now, and i keep experiencing some very annoying bugs/errors. My first problem is at random times for no reason spotify will completely freeze my gui. Ive got to my tty terminal and "sudo killall spotify" in order to get control of my computer back. And the second one is very annoying, i've lost some work due to this bug. If i grab the scroll bar with my mouse or scroll it might log me out my system, my login screen appears after like 15 sec of everything being frozen. It also gives me daemon errors immediately after I login again (i think it might have something to do with my mouse/mousepad daemons). I also get a bunch of error messages tied to spotify at random. If anyone knows how to fix these, or has any ideas of how to get rid of these bugs please let me know.

Spotify version 0.9.17.1

8 Replies

Hey Angryoctopus88,

You can try running Spotify from terminal with spotify | tee output-spotify.txt .

When the issue arise, copy the output of the terminal or stop the script ( control c in the terminal ) and attach the newly created file output-spotify.

Ill try this for the first problem (when it happens), But it can't be used on the second one. It closes off all of my programs/windows no matter what they're for.

It's OK the dump is going to get saved.

Just quick note, tee seems not to work in this case - so I would move with stdout with the following code

spotify >$HOME/spotify-dump.txt 2>&1

It's OK the dump is going to get saved.

Just quick note, tee seems not to work in this case - so I would move with stdout with the following code : 

spotify >$HOME/spotify-dump.txt 2>&1

Just got this error even though it's not tied to any of the previously stated problems. It just popped up out of nowhere.

21:53:23.138 I [social_reporter.cpp:195         ] SocialReporter: A track was played
21:53:23.154 D [spirc_manager.cpp:710           ] GAIA: SpircManager::stpLoad, track=spotify:track:633EgghZMMgT977JliKFuO, index=1, position=0, paused=0
21:53:23.154 D [spirc_manager.cpp:1883          ] GAIA: SpircManager::becomeActiveDevice
content-type missing in HTTP POST, defaulting to application/x-www-form-urlencoded. Use QNetworkRequest::setHeader() to fix this problem.
[0824/162923:ERROR:gpu_watchdog_thread.cc(209)] The GPU process hung. Terminating after 10000 ms.
[0824/162938:ERROR:gpu_watchdog_thread.cc(209)] The GPU process hung. Terminating after 10000 ms.

What is the version of your gtk+ lib ?

There was crash not so long ago if I recall with gtk+ 2.24.26

Also strace is going to be a lot more userful.

Run the follow lines :

spotify
ps x 
//Copy spotify PID
strace -p PID

Hi,

I had this same "getting logged off" problem. The problem was with a specific playlist which I sync for offline playback. All I had to do to fix it was to delete the cache folder:

rm -rf ~/.cache/spotify/Storage 

Hope it helps! 

Happy new year! 🙂

Suggested posts