Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Solved] Few broken things since latest update

Solved!

[Solved] Few broken things since latest update

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Linux desktop

Operating System

Fedora 34 KDE Spin

My Question or Issue

Since yesterday's update of flatpak version there are now some broken things that always worked in last few years.

1) The app is now opening in top left corner and in a fixed size. After resizing the app and closing the new app size is not remembered.

2) The icon now shows the generic Xorg icon, however upon open and close you can briefly see correct icon

3) Last, but not least, the App now cannot be pinned to taskbar as it used to be on KDE Plasma 5.22.5

Here are also few links to the github flatpak issue tracker in regards to this:

- Size and taskbar pinning

- Icon

Also a screenshot of the issue attached.

Screenshot_20210922_122859.png

Accepted Solutions
20 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Linux desktop

Operating System

Manjaro with XFCE

App Version

Snap/Flatpak/AUR (.deb based)

Same here!

Application Icons have gone missing (Workspace Switcher,Window Cycling,Title bar, Window Menu).

What’s surprising is that the Window Button’s icon is still in place. (although I think it’s also a bit different now and doesn't display artist infos anymore)

d5040364634c3c69909b483fec835779640e2ed7.png

When running the application (AUR) via terminal I get the following output:

spotify: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by spotify)
/opt/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify)
/opt/spotify/spotify: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify)
/proc/self/exe: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by /proc/self/exe)

Icon missing
Spotify app name missing
Current song played missing
Spotify devs messsed up big time. Shame.

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  •  
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 37FF74E2.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Screenshot_20210928_221605.png

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

USA

Me, too -- Instead of the usual application icon, I see a generic application icon for Spotify in my system's panel. 

System: Kernel: 5.4.0-86-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 info: mate-panel wm: marco 1.24.0 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 

spotify.png

Since the update I noticed some X properties are missing. It can be the cause of X not remembering the window size, icons and others, as the window manager doesn't know what app it is.

Important properties are missing, such as window name, class...

xprops for  1.1.55.498.gf9a83c60 :

_GTK_THEME_VARIANT(UTF8_STRING) = "dark"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "spotify", "Spotify"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Moonwalk - Enigma"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Moonwalk - Enigma"
XdndProxy(WINDOW): window id # 0x2c00008
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 1
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 0, 0
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 6
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "localhost"
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, _NET_WM_PING

xprops for 1.1.68.632.g2b11de83 :

[~] xprop
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
XdndProxy(WINDOW): window id # 0x4600002
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 0, 0
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 6
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "localhost"
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, _NET_WM_PING

Same here. I see no icon initially. Sometimes it appears later, but then the title is stuck to an older song. Also the window starts way too small in the top left corner of the screen when I start the application.

With these changes in the xprops, Spotify is quite horribly broken on a lot of Linux desktops. It doesn't even set its own title anymore, neither on startup nor when playing a song. I don't even want to think about how messed up it would be for Wayland users. How did this make it to release? This is a closed-source service that many of us are paying for. We all deserve better.

In the interim, until we get a release of better quality, Flatpak users can roll back to 1.1.55 with these commands. I have selected the commit from *right* before the 1.1.68 update.

System installations:

sudo flatpak update --commit=6ccb153cf896461cfe38637cfb817a21138f342b2c59dcf1b3bb51c1d8c34241 com.spotify.Client
sudo flatpak mask com.spotify.Client

User installations:

flatpak --user update --commit=6ccb153cf896461cfe38637cfb817a21138f342b2c59dcf1b3bb51c1d8c34241 com.spotify.Client
flatpak --user mask com.spotify.Client

This also includes a mask command to exclude it from automatic updates until Spotify fixes their stuff or locks us out. Rolling back to this version causes Spotify's legacy interface to appear for some reason, even though the new interface has been rolled out for a long time. However, it does behave better in regards to WM specs.

Same problem here. Since the window title is not set, many things are broken like position/size management. I've also experienced occasional crashes. I downgraded to the previous Spotify client version.

Yeaa if spotify could give a sh** about this and actually fix it, that'd be great.

Yes, it would be nice to see a fixed version again.

I normally wouldn't complain about such "minor" issues, but considering that we are paying customers and that these issues show a lack of QA for Spotify on Linux, it is a good moment to remind that the Linux desktop userbase is growing and that the teams should start taking things seriously.

Yeah doubt they **bleep**.

PopOS tiling doesn't work either.

Interestingly the Snap release for the same version doesn't seem to be suffering from the same issues:

$ snap list spotify
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
spotify 1.1.72.439.gc253025e 56 latest/stable spotify✓ -

Xprop output:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "spotify", "Spotify"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Spotify"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Spotify"

Finally, today's update (Version: 1.1.72.439.gc253025e) fixed mentioned issues!

Cheers to that!

Great to see a fixed version again! Thanks!

Marked as solution

Window icons are broken as of version 1.1.77.643.g3c4c6fc6 (snap). The latest .deb package from Spotify's repository (1:1.1.72.439.gc253025e) has this issue as well.

Error on startup:

(xfce4-panel:1080): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 13:42:36.186: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion 'icon_name != NULL' failed

(xfce4-panel:1080): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 13:42:36.190: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion 'icon_name != NULL' failed

On closing the app, the icon appears briefly.

Broken here too, on Snap and Flatpak.

Suggested posts