Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Hi, fellow penguin fans!

Today we've pushed version 0.9.11.26 of the Linux desktop client to our public repo. Just update your system!

General release notes: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Release-Notes-Spotify-for-Desktop-0-9-11/...

Linux specific changes:

- collectionCache.bnk is no longer written to $HOME

Known issues:

- It still doesn't work to drag from an HTML5 view to a legacy view (such as the sidebar).

- On first start, the HTML5 views may not appear (just empty black views), try restarting the app if it happens

- Some users have reported problems with the new track change notifications. If you experience problems, you can start the client with "spotify --ui.track_notifications_enabled=false", or you can edit the file called ~/.config/spotify/Users/<your-spotify-username>-user/prefs and add a line with "ui.track_notifications_enabled=false". Sorry for not having this option available in the UI.

- No 32-bit build is available

- This build is not compatible with debian squeeze or wheezy

If you don't already have the Linux client installed, install like this:

# 1. Add our repository. As root or with sudo, create
#    a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list and add
#    "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" to it.
#    Here's a one-liner:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list'

# 2. If you want to verify the downloaded packages,
#    you will need to add our public key
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 94558F59

# 3. Run apt-get update
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install spotify!
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

You don't have a debian based system? Well, it's still possible to get things running. Either you convert the debian package to something else using alien, or you can just download and extract the stuff you need from the package. There is no need to install the client, it can be run from anywhere.

# 1. Get the right filename
SPOTIFY_DEB=http://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/spotify-client_0.9.11.26.g995ec04.78-1_`uname -m | sed s/x86_64/amd64/ | sed s/i686/i386/`.deb

# 2. Download the package
wget repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/$SPOTIFY_DEB

# 3. Extract the required parts
ar p $SPOTIFY_DEB data.tar.gz | tar -zx --strip-components=3 ./opt/spotify/spotify-client

# 4. Go in to the extracted folder
cd spotify-client

# 5. Setup symlinks to libs (NOTE: this script assumes Fedora 17, edit to suit your needs)
./linklibs-fedora.sh

# 6. Optionally register icons and menu item
#    Note: for the menu item to work, you need to ensure
#    spotify is in your $PATH, either by symlinking
#    it from /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, or by adding
#    the spotify-client folder to your $PATH
./register.sh

368 Replies

Thanks for the update!

While the "Albums" and "Artists" views in "Your Music" now display content after resizing the window once, the notification popover stays black, with some corruption around the borders. The following log messages might be relevant:

MESA-LOADER: could not create udev device for fd 11

ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

[0824/155829:ERROR:context_group.cc(182)] ContextGroup::Initialize failed because too few texture units.

[0824/155829:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(2225)] GpuScheduler::InitializeCommon failed because group failed to initialize.

[0824/155829:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(166)] Failed to initialize command buffer service.

[0824/155829:ERROR:context_group.cc(182)] ContextGroup::Initialize failed because too few texture units.

[0824/155829:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(2225)] GpuScheduler::InitializeCommon failed because group failed to initialize.

[0824/155829:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(166)] Failed to initialize command buffer service.

This is on a Fedora 20, Gnome 3.12 laptop with Intel 965GM graphics.

Thank you. I know that the droves of ubuntu users could care less, but linux is about choices, and a tarball would be the standard approach to avoid distro discrimination.

I reply to myself:

For those having still problems in debian/ubuntu to play local files. You can follow these instructions here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Linux-Local-files-do-not-play-on-Ubuntu-1...

You can drop the libraries directly to: /opt/spotify/spotify-client if you wish. 

@muammar wrote:

I did a fresh installation of my Debian system. After installing, spotify, it is not possible to play local files. This is the error I am getting:

06:52:51.439 D [spirc_manager.cpp:578           ] GAIA: SpircManager::stpLoad, track=spo
06:56:36.643 D [spirc_manager.cpp:578           ] GAIA: SpircManager::stpLoad, track=spotify:local:Dave+Matthews+Band:1995-05-10%3a+Yoshi%27s%2c+Oakland%2c+CA%2c+USA:Tripping+Billies:320, index=142, position=0, paused=0

tify:track:0UtjXFxlBXKeQIVhkBhOjj, index=8578, position=0, paused=0

It doesn't matter if I remove the library and add it back, I always have the same problem.

Does anybody have the same problem? 

Hey that's awsome! Tested on Arch Linux, package retrieved from AUR.

However the HTML5 view is still somewhat errorsome, for example:

1. Menus. When menus are triggered (I assume they are part of the legacy GTK components) they cannot be dismissed by clicking the HTML view, which is annoying.

2. License dialog, it can't be dismissed by click on any part of the window or using the Esc key. One has to restart the client in order to get it away.

Generally it's great though, it's GUI integrates with Gnome perfectly... thanks team Spotify!

Under arch, there are some glitches, but it works usually really well.

I noticed a small bug, I don't know where it should be reported but I think it should not be too hard to solve (expecting that this bug does not come from one of the components used to draw the view).

It happens when i'm browsing a playlist (long enough so scrolling is required to view it all) and I want to drag a track from the bottom to the top. It makes the view scroll up, but it never stops scrolling (=if I scroll down again, it goes up right away). However, when in this buggy state, dragging and droping a track will end the "auto-scroll-to-top" mode and everything is working again.

Bug In Linux Spotify: Audio Drops While Another Sound Is Playing Regardless Of Sound Origin (IE: Other Apps, Etc.)

Anyone Know If There Is Anything Users Can Do/Change(Settings?) To Prevent This?

(Manjaro/Arch Linux)

I am using Spotify 0.9.11.27 on Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04) x64 and its running perfect.The installation was simply as it used to be with the penguin 😉

Thanks for that Spotify Team!

"Unfortunately" my notebook has a HighDPI display with 3K resolution. Currently i can hardly read the text in the GUI, maybe there will be an option to scale the resolution in the settings. Possibly i am not the only one using a display with resolutions beyond 1920x1080px.

Working with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS 🙂 Thank you Spotify team!!!

ok i have the same header message occuring. I have installed spotify in a linux server with Logitech Music squeezebox,. Im not a computer person but do know a tiny boy about coding. could someone talk me through the fix that seemed to work for the other guy on this thread.

Hello,
I have installed the linux version of Spotify and the install went fine. Although, I'm experiencing problems with the launch of Spotify : when I launch it (either with the spotify icon or with command line) I'm getting this error : "spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"...
Any idea about how to solve this ? (I've done a quick search through the web and I haven't been able to find a solution...)
Regards.

PS : Sorry about any grammar/spelling mistakes, English isn't my mothertongue.

Running Spotify 0.9.11 and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Marked as solution

@HarmoAx wrote:

Hello,
I have installed the linux version of Spotify and the install went fine. Although, I'm experiencing problems with the launch of Spotify : when I launch it (either with the spotify icon or with command line) I'm getting this error : "spotify: error while loading shared libraries: libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"...
Any idea about how to solve this ? (I've done a quick search through the web and I haven't been able to find a solution...)
Regards.

Looks like you're missing a package (for some reason...).

Run this command to install it:

sudo apt-get install libpangoxft-1.0-0

In the future, you can use the "Search the contents of packages" search here to find out which packages provides what files.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Excellent ! That worked ! Thank you very much for the solution and the link, I spent hours trying to find what package it was...! Great, have a nice day 🙂 (or evening ;))

Working well with Ubuntu 14.04! Thanks, please keep on improving the Linux support and making it first class!

Hello Guys
Spotify arrived in my country (Brazil) a short time. I liked him on android and I was happy to find it for linux.

This working fine in Ubuntu 14.4 - 64 Bits. 

sorry for the english, I'm using

Thank You!

Just went through the install steps as listed for Linux (Linuxmint).

(Wanted to listen to the playlists for the Seahawks chosen by the players themselves).

It works perfectly! 

Thanks!

Any way to trigger previous/next/pause from the command line?

Thanks,

With dbus I would say:

# Play/Pause
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.PlayPause"
XF86AudioPlay

# Next
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next"
XF86AudioNext

# Previous
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Previous"
XF86AudioPrev

# Stop
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Stop"
XF86AudioStop

If you use rever back-i-search or zsh as your interactive login shell it is going to be easier. 

Regards, 

does anyone know if there is going to be a latest version for 32-bit aswell? I'm stuck with 0.9.4 right now.

Any way to trigger like/dislike (when in radio) or to add to my library from the command line or a keyboard shortcut? Sometimes I want to like a song but don't want to lose focus on what I'm working on.

@renanbirck wrote:

Any way to trigger like/dislike (when in radio) or to add to my library from the command line or a keyboard shortcut? Sometimes I want to like a song but don't want to lose focus on what I'm working on.

I'd say no. At least it's not part of the official keyboard shortcut list (https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/Keyboard-shortcuts)

Suggested posts