Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Solved!

Spotify 0.9.11 for GNU/Linux

Hi, fellow penguin fans!

Today we've pushed version 0.9.11.26 of the Linux desktop client to our public repo. Just update your system!

General release notes: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Release-Notes-Spotify-for-Desktop-0-9-11/...

Linux specific changes:

- collectionCache.bnk is no longer written to $HOME

Known issues:

- It still doesn't work to drag from an HTML5 view to a legacy view (such as the sidebar).

- On first start, the HTML5 views may not appear (just empty black views), try restarting the app if it happens

- Some users have reported problems with the new track change notifications. If you experience problems, you can start the client with "spotify --ui.track_notifications_enabled=false", or you can edit the file called ~/.config/spotify/Users/<your-spotify-username>-user/prefs and add a line with "ui.track_notifications_enabled=false". Sorry for not having this option available in the UI.

- No 32-bit build is available

- This build is not compatible with debian squeeze or wheezy

If you don't already have the Linux client installed, install like this:

# 1. Add our repository. As root or with sudo, create
#    a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list and add
#    "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" to it.
#    Here's a one-liner:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com/stable non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list'

# 2. If you want to verify the downloaded packages,
#    you will need to add our public key
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 94558F59

# 3. Run apt-get update
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install spotify!
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

You don't have a debian based system? Well, it's still possible to get things running. Either you convert the debian package to something else using alien, or you can just download and extract the stuff you need from the package. There is no need to install the client, it can be run from anywhere.

# 1. Get the right filename
SPOTIFY_DEB=http://repository-origin.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/spotify-client_0.9.11.26.g995ec04.78-1_`uname -m | sed s/x86_64/amd64/ | sed s/i686/i386/`.deb

# 2. Download the package
wget repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/$SPOTIFY_DEB

# 3. Extract the required parts
ar p $SPOTIFY_DEB data.tar.gz | tar -zx --strip-components=3 ./opt/spotify/spotify-client

# 4. Go in to the extracted folder
cd spotify-client

# 5. Setup symlinks to libs (NOTE: this script assumes Fedora 17, edit to suit your needs)
./linklibs-fedora.sh

# 6. Optionally register icons and menu item
#    Note: for the menu item to work, you need to ensure
#    spotify is in your $PATH, either by symlinking
#    it from /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, or by adding
#    the spotify-client folder to your $PATH
./register.sh

368 Replies

I've never used synaptic, so I don't know how to use the "repository dialog".

As synaptic says "E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list", I'm guessing you made an error in that file. What does it look like?

On my system the relevant line from sources.list (I still use the old style) is:

deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free

.Henrik

@donbex: I haven't checked, but I highly doubt it is Flash based. Remember, it is still a native standalone app, it just comes with a bundled web browser for the UI, and the fact that the UI is written in HTML5 does not remove the possibility to use native audio playback capabilities. In fact, sharing so much code between platforms should give them more time to work on the underlying stuff that is still exclusive to each platform.
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!
Marked as solution

@wade1987:

Try changing your repo to: http://repository-origin.spotify.com 

We had this problem last spring and this fixed it. I haven't had any issue with installs on Ubuntu, but on a Mint install the other night I had to use this fix.

Reference:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-0-9-11-for-GNU-Linux/m-p/845435/h...

Still no beta for Linux..?

Do you really need QT for mediakeys? Mediakeys work perfectly in XBMC, and as far as I know it doesn't use QT..(?)

Besides, I really don't understand why adding QT as a dependency is a problem. Couldn't it be as simple as disabling mediakeys when there's no QT present? I think the Linux community understand that there's a limit to what can be supported on all the different distros, but it should be easy to support mainstream distros like Ubuntu and Mint...

Am I the only one for who the Linux Desktop App doesn't work anymore? I can't access my albums, can't browse etc... I'm on Ubuntu 14.04

@CubanDude wrote:

Am I the only one for who the Linux Desktop App doesn't work anymore? I can't access my albums, can't browse etc... I'm on Ubuntu 14.04

Do you get a black screen in the content area? I had the same experience. It helped restarting (Spotify) a couple of times. Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but it started working after I tried starting Spotify from command line. Now everything seems OK (however it is started)

If you still get the problem, you could try to check out http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Blank-black-screen/td-p/785103

This is for windows, but the arguments might work for the Linux version too..

Thanks for your answer. Yes, basically that's what I'm experiencing. If I click on Browse, I get the "loading wheel" and nothing more, if I click on Albums I get "Error, Your Music failed to load". Only thing I can do is typing in the searchbox and click on the auto-complete results, which sucks. I'll check the link out, thanks again!

It doesn't work for me as weel and I cannot see results after searching. Basically I can only paly saved playlists, I've tested on two machines, both equipped with Ubuntu 14.04 (a Premium user and a Free one).

@CubanDude wrote:

Thanks for your answer. Yes, basically that's what I'm experiencing. If I click on Browse, I get the "loading wheel" and nothing more, if I click on Albums I get "Error, Your Music failed to load". Only thing I can do is typing in the searchbox and click on the auto-complete results, which sucks. I'll check the link out, thanks again!

Before you check the link, do the same as I did. Simply run "spotify" from command shell. When I did that everything worked fine again - even when I started it from the normal shortcut.

Still not working 😕

By the way, I often see "Link not found", especially when I fire it up

@skalka7 wrote:

It doesn't work for me as weel and I cannot see results after searching. Basically I can only paly saved playlists, I've tested on two machines, both equipped with Ubuntu 14.04 (a Premium user and a Free one).

Yup, I have the exact same problem, also on Ubuntu 14.04.

This seems to have come in with the latest Spotify update, as I had not noticed this problem before yesterday (since it breaks Radio, among other things).

Spotify Team, know anything about this?

Hi,

I'm using version 0.9.11.27 with mint 17 cinnamon 64bit version. Mostly everything is working great, the integration to os is seamless etc. However, I've noticed some random crashing (approx once a day or so). So far I've not been able to pinpoint any particular action that would trigger this. The whole cinnamon freezes, I have to ctrl+alt+F1 to a terminal and kill spotify from there. After that everything works and I can restart spotify without problems again. Just letting you know.

What you are experiencing sounds like an issue the Spotify team is currently investigating. Could you please post in this thread

1. Your device's OS

2. The Spotify version installed (this is found under "About Spotify")

@CubanDude @skalka7 @Nevik

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

@donbex thanks for letting me know, had not seen that thread 😄

Does the connect function exist on the Linux client as well?

I don't want to upgrade to premium before I know so can't chek it out myself.

I were able to borrow a friends accaount.

Nope, no connect with Linux. Guess I'll have to continue using Google Music.

@pieorpaj As far as I understand, Spotify Connect simply allows you to control the Spotify client on your PC from your phone. If this is what you are looking for, you might wish to try SpotCommander (which is open source, too).

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

I'll try to do a release of the latest client version for Linux, so you get Connect support. 0.9.15 is on the way out for win/mac, so I'll make sure that hits linux too.

It seems to work again (at least for me).. Thanks!

@donbex wrote:

@pieorpaj As far as I understand, Spotify Connect simply allows you to control the Spotify client on your PC from your phone. If this is what you are looking for, you might wish to try SpotCommander (which is open source, too).

Just for those who don't already know. SpotCommander does not require a Premium account

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Suggested posts