Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop (Linux)

Discuss Spotify for Linux

Start a topic

Forum Posts

New "Now Playing View" sidebar

Spotify is introducing a new "Now Playing View" sidebar in the desktop app and Web Player to go along with the recently released "Your Library" sidebar. The Now Playing View in the right sidebar shows the album art and info of the current song or pod...

• Spotify Star
  • Spotify Star
  • MattSuda
  • Spotify Star
  • 1 replies
  • 1 likes
  • 1 replies
  • 1 likes

New Your Library sidebar

Spotify is introducing a new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app and Web Player. The new Your Library sidebar is rolling out to all desktop users now, so you will be seeing it soon if you haven't already. The new Your Library sidebar improves nav...

Sidebar Tips.png Desktop Sidebar Compact View.png Compact Layout.png
  • Spotify Star
  • Spotify Star
  • MattSuda
  • Spotify Star
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Recent Linux client update changes

Hey! There has been an update to the Spotify Linux client signatures.Users may see errors linked to missing keys and failed signature verifications for Spotify when updating the system. If this happens to you, this can be fixed by manually adding the...

• Spotify Star
  • Spotify Star
  • user-removed
  • Not applicable
  • 23 replies
  • 37 likes
  • 23 replies
  • 37 likes

Solved!! [Troubleshooting] Linux Spotify

Having trouble with Spotify on your Desktop app? Here’s what to try first. Search the Community Someone might have asked your question on the Community before.So type your issue into the search box and have a look. Basic troubleshooting Go through th...

• Community Legend
  • sleeksorrow
  • Roadie
  • 151 replies
  • 33 likes
  • Linux
  • 151 replies
  • 33 likes

Linux Install Instructions

Hi all, I'm looking at the linux install instructions here: https://www.spotify.com/uk/download/previews/ I have a suggestion for the first step. Instead of: # 1. Add this line to your list of repositories by # editing your /etc/apt/sources.list deb ...

• Casual Listener
  • Hi all,   I'm looking at the linux install instructions here: https://www.spotify.com/uk/download/previews/   I have a suggestion for the first step. Instead of:   # 1...
  • 0 replies
  • 1 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 1 likes

Missing dependency libgcrypt11 from debian package

I installed Spotify to Debian Jessie without any problem, but when i try to start spotify a get error for missing library, the missing library is libgcrypt11. I searched for this package on debian jessie repository but there isn't candidate package a...

• Regular
  • I installed Spotify to Debian Jessie without any problem, but when i try to start spotify a get error for missing library,  the missing library is libgcrypt11.  I searched for this packag...
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes

Extreme CPU usage Linux client

Hi,My Spotify client for Linux always used to work fine, but a couple of days ago it all of a sudden started to claim 100% CPU capacity, while I was dragging some songs from one playlist to another. That resulted in overheating the processsor of my n...

• Visitor
  • Hi, My Spotify client for Linux always used to work fine, but a couple of days ago it all of a sudden started to claim 100% CPU capacity, while I was dragging some songs from one playlist to anoth...
  • 0 replies
  • 1 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 1 likes

Ubuntu Playlist Syncing For Offline Use (Solved)

So I am very new to Ubuntu and Linux for that matter. I installed Spotfiy and got everything working correctly, but I could not get it to sync my playlist for offline use. Spotify kept telling me to check disk space and I have ample room since this i...

• So I am very new to Ubuntu and Linux for that matter.  I installed Spotfiy and got everything working correctly, but I could not get it to sync my playlist for offline use.  Spotify kept te...
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes

Solved!! Help with account

I have paid for premium account, but did not receive the benefits.

• Casual Listener
  • I have paid for premium account, but did not receive the benefits.
  • Grace
  • Spotify
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
    Windows
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes

Hardcode font colours

Hi there, I'm using the Linux spotify preview client with KDE and a dark colour scheme. Since Spotify's default colour scheme is dark gray, it fits perfectly. However, my desktop's dark theme implies white/bright font colours that get implemented in ...

• Hi there, I'm using the Linux spotify preview client with KDE and a dark colour scheme. Since Spotify's default colour scheme is dark gray, it fits perfectly. However, my desktop's dark theme impli...
  • Peter__
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

desktop app doesn't play music on linux (3.16, fedora 21)

spotify desktop client won't play anything. When I hit play, it says there is something wrong with network. backtrace from logs: Oct 02 13:58:58 quahog slim[444]: 11:58:58.080 I [head_file_streamer.cpp:106 ] Requesting head file from CDN url: http://...

• Casual Listener
  • spotify desktop client won't play anything. When I hit play, it says there is something wrong with network. backtrace from logs: Oct 02 13:58:58 quahog slim[444]: 11:58:58.080 I [head_file_stream...
  • sergisr
  • Casual Listener
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

[Desktop - Linux] Spotify doesn't start if the system inotify watches limit has been exceeded

I've noticed Spotify fails to start properly if my system's inotify watch limit has been exhausted. It just sits there, presumably trying to get a notifier, maxing out a single core and printing this to stdout: ... 13:17:04.214 A [file_system_monitor...

• Casual Listener
  • I've noticed Spotify fails to start properly if my system's inotify watch limit has been exhausted. It just sits there, presumably trying to get a notifier, maxing out a single core and printing this...
  • datr
  • Casual Listener
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

Features missing?

It appears that the current client can't sort by rating when looking at search results. Is this feature gone or am I doing something wrong? Also, when I choose the main "songs" menu it has the ones that I saved for albums or artists, but not from my ...

• Regular
  • It appears that the current client can't sort by rating when looking at search results.  Is this feature gone or am I doing something wrong?   Also, when I choose the main "songs" menu ...
  • user-removed
  • Not applicable
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes

Spotify Radio - Downvoting song does not prevent it from reappearing

To be fair, I can understand why this may happen. However I would rather jump off a bridge than listen to a track from Skrillex. Please assist

• Casual Listener
  • To be fair, I can understand why this may happen. However I would rather jump off a bridge than listen to a track from Skrillex. Please assist
  • Carina
  • Community Legend
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
    Mac
    Windows
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes

How to search for items that have simple names?

Say, I want to search for the band named Band. How do I do it without getting the millions of bands with the word "band" in their name? (Yes, I know there is a band called The Band, but searching with the phrase artist:"the band" does not make the re...

• Roadie
  • Say, I want to search for the band named Band. How do I do it without getting the millions of bands with the word "band" in their name? (Yes, I know there is a band called The Band, but searching w...
  • spo
  • Roadie
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
    Mac
    Windows
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes

Spotify failing to open skin on Linux

Hi, I know this has been posted before but I thought I would again because that post hasn't helped. Up until 3 months ago Spotify worked well on the latest Linux mint with KDE desktop (32bit) but I am now unable to open the desktop as I get failed to...

• Regular
  • Hi,   I know this has been posted before but I thought I would again because that post hasn't helped.   Up until 3 months ago Spotify worked well on the latest Linux mint with KDE d...
  • ashleycrue
  • Regular
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes

[Bug, Linux] MPRIS2 Song Progress Cleared If Session Locked While Music is Paused

I've been using the Spotify Linux Preview build for the last few months, and have had a lot of success with it. It performs great, and the DBus and MPRIS2 integration is just fantastic. I have run into a bug with the MPRIS2 integration, though. It's ...

• Regular
  • I've been using the Spotify Linux Preview build for the last few months, and have had a lot of success with it. It performs great, and the DBus and MPRIS2 integration is just fantastic. I have run in...
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes

Solved!! Latest Spotify on 32-bit Linux?

Hi! Is there any way I can get the latest Spotify for Linux in 32-bit? On my 64-bit machine I have the latest version with the new theme, .etc, but on my 32-bit machine I only have the old version. Looking at http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-fr...

• Hi!   Is there any way I can get the latest Spotify for Linux in 32-bit? On my 64-bit machine I have the latest version with the new theme, .etc, but on my 32-bit machine I only have the old...
  • thatoneguymeza
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes

spotify doesn't search authors

Hi, my spotify only looks for albums or songs, but is unable to look for authors in the search bar (when clicking an author it does nothing). It only works if I click on an album or song. some ideas of why?? I have reinstalled it, the problem still r...

• Casual Listener
  • Hi, my spotify only looks for albums or songs, but is unable to look for authors in the search bar (when clicking an author it does nothing). It only works if I click on an album or song.   ...
  • nip69
  • 2 replies
  • 1 likes
  • Linux
  • 2 replies
  • 1 likes

Social my A$$. Let me see all my Facebook friends!

Half the reason I subscribed was the promise of seeing what my friends listen to. But I accidentally (Spotify does not warn you) x'd their names because I didn't feel like following them at the time. Turns out, you can NEVER find them again via spoti...

• Casual Listener
  • Half the reason I subscribed was the promise of seeing what my friends listen to. But I accidentally (Spotify does not warn you) x'd their names because I didn't feel like following them at the time....
  • Bradwr
  • Casual Listener
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
    Mac
    Windows
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes

Spotify LINUX freezes any mouse interaction all other apps (including spotify itself) [Kubuntu KDE]

Hello, I'm using the last Kubuntu 14.10, with spotify 0.9.11.27. The client will randomly freeze any interaction with all apps. The mouse pointer still available, but I can't click anymore. The KDE app launcher is frozen too, and the rendered desktop...

• Casual Listener
  • Hello,   I'm using the last Kubuntu 14.10, with spotify 0.9.11.27.   The client will randomly freeze any interaction with all apps. The mouse pointer still available, but I can't cl...
  • mathojojo
  • Casual Listener
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes

[Linux] Spotify (0.9.10) freeze when trying to add a source directory

Whenever I try to add a new directory as source, there is a file selector box opening up, which is basically empty, and then spotify freezes, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes until I kill it. Running Spotify 0.9.10 64-bit on Kubuntu 14.04 Anybo...

• Roadie
  • Whenever I try to add a new directory as source, there is a file selector box opening up, which is basically empty, and then spotify freezes, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes until I kill it. ...
  • En1gm4
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes

Solved!! Any updates on the DISCOVER tab?

Hey guys, so I scrolled down a little bit and I shuffled through a few of the pages on the thread that was revolving around the DISCOVER tab Spotify offered on it's desktop application. 1. I'm still not finding DISCOVER anywhere on my desktop app and...

• Casual Listener
  • Hey guys, so I scrolled down a little bit and I shuffled through a few of the pages on the thread that was revolving around the DISCOVER tab Spotify offered on it's desktop application.  &nbsp...
  • DrCamel
  • Casual Listener
  • 7 replies
  • 1 likes
  • Linux
    Mac
    Windows
  • 7 replies
  • 1 likes

BUG: The Discover tab looks so weird

I already have installed Spotify on Linux (Xubuntu) and I Try to find new music using "Generes and Modes" but i can't find that seccion. The version and the problem are on the next image. Thank you a lot for your reply.

• Casual Listener
  • I already have installed Spotify on Linux (Xubuntu) and I Try to find new music using "Generes and Modes" but i can't find that seccion. The version and the problem are on the next image. Thank ...
  • jocaos
  • Casual Listener
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes
  • Linux
  • 1 replies
  • 0 likes