Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Failed Loading Skin" sudo/root works, other users don't - Arch linux

Solved!

"Failed Loading Skin" sudo/root works, other users don't - Arch linux

So on Tuesday, my spotify stopped working, starting up with the message "Failed Loading Skin".

This problem seems to have many causes, but no solution I found worked for me.

System: Arch Linux 64bit

Kernel: 3.16.4/3.17.1 (both don't work)

DE: gnome-shell 3.14 (worked with spotify before tuesday), mutter, pulseaudio 5.0

Steps i tried:

reinstalling spotify, including deleting ~/.cache, .config and .local spotify folders and /usr/share/spotify/ : doesn't work

deleting any gnome/gtk3/gtk2 settings and trying different  theme/icon sets : doesn't work

trying the programm with another user who is not root : doesn't work

extracting the zip files of spotify.../Data/resources.zip into the same folder: doesn't work

starting spotify with sudo : works perfectly at all time during my changes

the most relateable thing i found was that there was a qtwebkit update on monday, now qtwebkit has version 2.3.4

the log when starting spotify in terminal is the same as with many other users:

Spoiler
/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
10:43:48.996 I [breakpad.cpp:107                ] Registered Breakpad for product: spotify

10:43:48.996 I [translate.cpp:139               ] Reloading language file
10:43:48.996 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] Loading of skin file(msgid.pob) failed
10:43:48.996 E [translate.cpp:116               ] Spotify resources and binary are out-of-sync. This should never happen.

because of the program working perfectly fine with sudo, i don't think that it's a theme error (tried setting everything to default with the normal user), missing file or compatiblity error,and as other non-root users don't work either, i don't think it's somthing with my personal config,

but rather some permission that normal users are missing... tried finding that with strace and xtrace, but nothing was found

thank you for your time, i hope someone can help me 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yesterday, I wiped the main partition of my pc (not my personal folder exept for most config files) and reinstalled arch. After setting everything back up, on the same setup as described in my first post, spotify works flawlessly.

I'd still like to know what caused the problem, maybe an error in the global (not user specific) config of gnome, pulseaudio or something, but yeah. As the problem did not appear while installing everything again, I think its okay now. My old setup was pretty old and had gained quite a of bit weight in software I tested and configurations I tried.

Your Idea to change the QT theme was something I didn't try, as I don't know how to do that, maybe that was the solution.

Thank you for your time, I'll mark this thread as solved.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

To solve this problem on Ubuntu Unity/Gnome just edit the command line of the launcher to:

sh -c "export GNOME_SESSION= && export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID= && spotify %U"

The program will be forced to open with the GTK defaults.

to Edit use the app: alacarte

$ sudo apt-get install alacarte

Open the app and go to Multimedia > Spotify and edit the command to: 

sh -c "export GNOME_SESSION= && export GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID= && spotify %U"

Seleção_001.png

If you use something like cairo-dock just create a new shortckut to Spotify or edit directly on the dock.

Exit the program and enjoy!

Marked as solution

@ th0mth0mth0m: You can PM parbo, I think he'll answer if it's important, BUT, they're probably working on v 1.x for Linux. It is HTML5-based GUI-wise, and if there's any GUI toolkit used I think the framework they use (Chromium Embedded Frame) users GTK for such things, so, from they started using CEF instead of Qt-WebKit and now up until v 1.x the Spotify client has a been a mix of Qt, GTK and web views.

My answer to any bug right now is to wait for v 1.x which will be different, probably new bugs, but probably eliminate old ones. Don't expect any update to the current client, even though one of the devs expressed that he wanted to update it some time ago.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Marked as solution

I have similiar problem with skin.xml file. Running from root and unsetting

GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID
DESKTOP_SESSION

doesn't work. After some strace invistigate I was delete /etc/ld.so.cache

sudo rm /etc/ld.so.cache

and generate it again with ldconfig.

sudo ldconfig

Now I can run Spotify 😄

44 Replies

It doesn't run without sudo because you don't have the ownership to the index.dat file.

Change the owner of the file using terminal and all should run fine. Here's a little tutorial if you are not aware how to do this:

1. Open terminal
  2. Run "sudo -s"
  3. Enter password
  4. Run "cd /.cache/spotify/Storage/"
  5. Run "chown [Linux account username] index.dat"

Use your account username in step 5. You now own the file. Run Spotify and it will work.

thanks for the reply,

I tried your steps, but they did not help, I was already owner of the file and chown had no effect.

The same error message appeares, the log is slighty larger now, but it was this large in general, just not when i posted the first post. Can't really tell why...

Maybe other files that I need to be owner of or have write acces to? Something in the libs spotify needs, as there where no changes with spotify itself? (as far as i can remember or logs tell me...)

Again, it also happens to new users I create, so it's propably something others should have acces to, but only root can access.  Maybe the group of a file was changed or something?

longer log:

Spoiler
00:18:50.363 I [translate.cpp:139               ] Reloading language file
00:18:50.363 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] Loading of skin file(msgid.pob) failed
00:18:50.363 E [translate.cpp:116               ] Spotify resources and binary are out-of-sync. This should never happen.
00:18:50.366 I [translate.cpp:139               ] Reloading language file
00:18:50.366 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] Loading of skin file(msgid.pob) failed
00:18:50.366 E [translate.cpp:116               ] Spotify resources and binary are out-of-sync. This should never happen.
00:18:50.366 I [breakpad.cpp:261                ] Searching for crashdumps: /home/nicolas/.cache/spotify/*.dmp

00:18:50.366 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] Loading of skin file(skin.xml) failed

It's worth nuking ~/.config/spotify too. The binary out of sync message is a weird one too.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

already tried that, just tried it again, doesn't work 😕

@olejon  @leamas - Any ideas? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:

@olejon  @leamas - Any ideas? 

Must be some permission problem I guess. I just fired up my ArchBang VM and did a "pacman -Syyu" + reboot, and Spotify worked fine. However, I was not running the latest Spotify, so I installed the latest from AUR, and it still worked fine (deleted config and cache before upgrade).

How did you install Spotify?

If this was Arch related I suspect we would have seen many more reports like this.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

I installed spotify using pacaur, "pacaur -S spotify" pulls the spotify package from the AUR and installes it.

However, i found something new: On lxde (installed today) with my non-root user, it works perfectly, so it's propably something gnome-shell related. As I said, 3.14 worked perfectly until tuesday. However, i'd prefer to stick to the gnome shell.

I don't really know what to do know, as I already tried resetting all gnome stettings and setting the theme/icon-theme etc. to default, but it doesn't work. Login to gnome-shell as root and spotify works. Any ideas?

already tried reinstalling the entire gnome group (https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/gnome/) and deleting and reinstalling everything theme related.

I don't really think its a theme error, as it works with root and doesn't work with new users... Also, there is no other programm that has problems (Skype, Playonlinux, some Wine application, firefox/thunderbird, the gnome apps, some QT apps I tried).

What DEs do you use, and do you have any ideas?

Thanks for your patience and all the help so far, really apreciate it! 🙂

Hm... also I have no idea what's going om here.

You might try the installer at http://github.com/leamas/spotify-make, run it in user mode, This will make a new install which is independent of the system-wide ffrom the aur package. Perhaps it could give some hints, dunno.

It doesn't need to be a permission problem. It can also be spotiify finding some old cruft, trtying to load wrong version. This should be visible if you start spotify from the command line.

Hmm, I'm not running GNOME Shell 3.14 anywhere, so can't test. You may find a live CD for some distro running it and try Spotify there, to see it if's really GNOME. If it's theme related, you can try to change the GTK and Qt theme (Spotify uses Qt mainly, but I think GTK is involved in the WebView). Maybe if you use a plain Qt theme that doesn't get its look from GTK. I don't know, really.

I may try GNOME Shell in my ArchBang VM, but not right now.

Marked as solution

Yesterday, I wiped the main partition of my pc (not my personal folder exept for most config files) and reinstalled arch. After setting everything back up, on the same setup as described in my first post, spotify works flawlessly.

I'd still like to know what caused the problem, maybe an error in the global (not user specific) config of gnome, pulseaudio or something, but yeah. As the problem did not appear while installing everything again, I think its okay now. My old setup was pretty old and had gained quite a of bit weight in software I tested and configurations I tried.

Your Idea to change the QT theme was something I didn't try, as I don't know how to do that, maybe that was the solution.

Thank you for your time, I'll mark this thread as solved.

I have the same error as you :

➜  ~  spotify
/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
13:03:09.520 I [breakpad.cpp:107                ] Registered Breakpad for product: spotify

13:03:09.520 I [translate.cpp:139               ] Reloading language file
13:03:09.520 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] Loading of skin file(msgid.pob) failed
13:03:09.520 E [translate.cpp:116               ] Spotify resources and binary are out-of-sync. This should never happen.
13:03:09.525 I [translate.cpp:139               ] Reloading language file
13:03:09.525 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] Loading of skin file(msgid.pob) failed
13:03:09.525 E [translate.cpp:116               ] Spotify resources and binary are out-of-sync. This should never happen.
13:03:09.525 I [breakpad.cpp:261                ] Searching for crashdumps: /home/jblondeau/.cache/spotify/*.dmp

13:03:09.526 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] Loading of skin file(skin.xml) failed

When I run it as root, it works perfectly.

I'm using latest build from aur 0.9.11.27-1 and I'm running it on awesome WM

I got that from strace : 

readlink("/proc/self/exe", "/usr/share/spotify/spotify-clien"..., 4095) = 41
access("/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify\200/Data/resources.zip", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, "13:21:27.923 I [translate.cpp:13"..., 7313:21:27.923 I [translate.cpp:139               ] Reloading language file) = 73
write(2, "\33[0m", 4)                   = 4
write(2, "\n", 1
)                       = 1
open("/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/msgid.pob", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, "13:21:27.923 E [resource_loader."..., 5013:21:27.923 E [resource_loader.cpp:191         ] ) = 50
write(2, "\33[1;31m", 7)                = 7
write(2, "Loading of skin file(msgid.pob) "..., 38Loading of skin file(msgid.pob) failed) = 38

Any idea ?

Well, the obvious question is aboiut that file: /usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify\200/Data/resources.zip

Does it exist? What's the permissions?

No it doesn't exist

There is a resources.zip into /usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/spotify/Data/

I tried to unzip it inside spotify-client and it works

So I guess spotify (run as a regular user) can't unzip it at runtime.

Well, this looks like a packaging error. You probably should file a bug against the archlinux package (sorry,  no hint on archlinux's administrative details)

Again, you might want to try the installer at http://github.com/leamas/spotify-make as a walk-around. Running iin user mode, it will not interfere with the systemwide installation done by the archlinux package

It doesn't seem to be a packaging issue. On my Arch Linux 64bit the Spotify client works fine. I tried attaching strace to the spotify process and it looks like spotify spawns a lot of threads, one of which accesses the resources.zip file

getuid()                                = 1000
access("/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/Data/resources.zip", F_OK) = 0
open("/usr/share/spotify/spotify-client/Data/resources.zip", O_RDONLY) = 11

Have you tried reinstalling spotify after making the package anew, i.e. not using a cached copy? Stil, this indeed looks like a permissions issue. Could you please post the output of the following command? (it lists the groups your user is in)

grep [your username] /etc/group | cut -d ':' -f 1

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Yes I tried reinstalling it, but no success.

Here is the outcome of grep :

lp
games
network
video
audio
optical
storage
power
wireshark
vboxusers
usbfs
fuse

Do I miss a group ?

I had the same issue and it drove me nuts, especially since I am a quite experienced Linux users, after searching and trying various solutions the problem seemed to be QT/GTK theme related. I just solved the issue by changing the QT theme.

The QT GUI style I had configured was GTK+ style, with this style I got the errors. It seems all the other styles are working fine, so for now I use 'Desktop Settings (Default)'.

There are multiple ways to change the QT style, one of them is editing ' ~/.config/Trolltech.conf' directly (~ means your home directory). Or use the qtconfig-qt4 utility from 'extra/qt4'.

I hope this will help you and others to solve the issue, and of course somebody from the Spotify team will pick this up!

Cheers 🙂

Indeed, changing the QT style does work !

I was using GTK+ GUI style, and I changed it for the Desktop settings (default), it's now working...

Suggested posts