Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

Yeah I can't be bothered reading a 71 page thread but this has to come back, I don't use the app online on my phone, and got knows I already get too many emails so have all spotify ones turned off. What's wrong with keeping it within the app where it should be?

Isn't it funny how this announcement came just after Facebook announced that they were removing the option of accessing private messages through their mobile site, forcing smartphone users to install Facebook's messnger app so that their phone would ping everytime they got a FB message, encouraging them to engage with the network more frequently?

It's almost like somebody at Spotify with no common sense and a high-ranking position (we've all met That Guy in our own employment at some point, right?) said "Hey, is there any way that we can force users to use their phones to interact with Spotify more often? No, no, I don't care if its not practical, it's my idea and I like it, just make it happen!"

71 pages of unhappy customers... yikes.  

Have Spotify given any reason for removing this feature? 

@cali06 wrote:

mafalda-basta.jpg

I will go back the image on each page, maybe they see it someday?

Isn't it funny how this announcement came just after Facebook announced that they were removing the option of accessing private messages through their mobile site, forcing smartphone users to install Facebook's messnger app so that their phone would ping everytime they got a FB message, encouraging them to engage with the network more frequently?

They do seem to have similarly inept product managers. That change over at Facebook was actually the reason why I stopped using it almost completely. The Facebook Messenger is one of the worst-written apps in Android history, just having it installed, never opened, reduces my battery life by about two thirds. They do not understand that people who have repeatedly expressed their disinterest at having the app installed, will not let themselves be forced by extortion. They just leave. Little hint, although I don't know how long it will be until they turn that off, too: set your mobile browser to request the desktop version of the Facebook page. It will still be mobile-optimised and look almost exactly the same, but messaging is still there.

The comparison ends on the goals, though. Facebook clearly wants to get users to forget that they have a web interface, and drive them to their apps. However, the stuff that Spotify is removing and losing customers over – lyrics, 10k song limit, notifications, track likes, sharing, playlist curation, … – are unavailable, or severely broken, in all of their interfaces: desktop, mobile, and web. We're not even being herded into some specific direction, it's always just: deal with what we took away, or leave. That's even more self-destructive than what Facebook is doing.

Hello everyone. Spotify here. 

We’ve been listening to the feedback in this thread and we’re happy to finally announce Release Radar. 

Release radar is a personalised playlist that is refreshed every Friday with 1-2 hours of music released over the past few weeks. It contains artists you listen to most, those your follow and has some discoveries based on your recent listening. Your can find Release Radar in the New Releases For You section in the Discover category in Browse. 

We know many of you are missing the Notification “Bell”. In the context of our user base, it turns out a very small percent of folks actually used the Notification bell feature. We think you’re going to like Release Radar for staying up to date on new releases.

We’re going to close this thread, as we don’t have plans to bring back the Notification Bell. You can still offer feedback over here. For feedback on the Release Radar feature, please let us know here

So what the duck is this? It's back.

spotify.png

And go to H33L with some playlists. Again the same argument. "It turns out a very small percent". Maybe one time you should listen to that "very small percent" and make Spotify more useful than just cutting it since the begining.

It must be terribely expensive and tough task to write and maintain a few lines of code and leave this ducking notification bell on.

Edit: So even H.E.L.L. is bleeped now?

What do you mean only a small percent used the bell feature?  It was there at the top of the desktop application, and it notified you when there were new releases by the bands you followed.  I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE used it, because IT WAS RIGHT THERE, notifying you automatically.

I don't want push notifications, or email notifications or a "release radar with a playlist of music released in the last few weeks" with a mix of different artists, some I may not even care about.  I want to know when an artist that I follow releases a new album, THE DAY IT IS RELEASED.

Thanks, but no thanks.  I'll be canceling my subscription.

"We’ve been listening to the feedback in this thread..."

You clearly have not.

Isn't this just Spotify Discover, but on a Friday not a Monday?

You killed that awesome bell feature for THIS!?

Are interns in charge over there now, did all the good paid staff go to Apple and Tidal or something?

"We’re going to close this thread". Wow, how accommodating, gag the critics.

I just looked at the Release Radar and I can tell you that I don't like it.  And I'm also really annoyed to see that there are some new albums by artists that I follow that have been out for who knows how long, since I was never "notified" by the bell.  I don't want a darn play list of "new songs".  I want to see when a new album is released by the artists that I follow in it's entirety, THE DAY IT IS RELEASED.

Like I said, Thanks but no thanks.  I'll be checking out Google Music and Amazon Prime Music, and God help me Apple Music.

Ok… "Release Radar" – where is the difference to "Discover Weekly"?

@silkesieler 

Discover Weekly provides users with a way of discovering new favorite artists each week. Release Radar gives users a way of never missing new releases. 

But how is this superior to a simple list of releases byfollowed artists? I cannot understand the logic - there are already plenty of tools for discovering new music. Also, the release radar list gets renewed each week. So if I do not have the time to check the list every week I might miss releases I am interested in.

The notification bell was working really well as a simple list of releases by followed artists and the radar does not replace it properly in my opinion. 

@StevoMukke wrote:

But how is this superior to a simple list of releases byfollowed artists? I cannot understand the logic - there are already plenty of tools for discovering new music. Also, the release radar list gets renewed each week. So if I do not have the time to check the list every week I might miss releases I am interested in.

The notification bell was working really well as a simple list of releases by followed artists and the radar does not replace it properly in my opinion. 

I agree.  The Release Radar does not replace the Bell functionality at all.  They are completely different and the "radar" is a huge step backwards, in my opinion.

''We’re going to close this thread, as we don’t have plans to bring back the Notification Bell'' ROFLMAO..bye Spotify... keep ignoring us, keep losing clients.. Closing the thread..WHAT A ''GROWN UP'' decision lol..

StevoMukke schrieb:

Also, the release radar list gets renewed each week. So if I do not have the time to check the list every week I might miss releases I am interested in.

You could use an IFTTT recipe for saving it automatically to an archive playlist, similar to the one for Discover Weekly:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/450430-release-radar-archive

To make sure, you should create the Release Radar Archive playlist manually and copy the tracks now, because the recipe will run for the first time next Friday, and these first tracks will be lost.

Come on, really?

Where do I find the Release Radar playlist? I cannot see it anywhere.

I think the best thing to do would be to have a setting under preferences to enable the notification bell- but I accept that that isn't going to happen at the present time. I'm just glad that there is some kind of alternative- I really hope it works as well as you say.

Will the notification bell still operate on play.spotify.com?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it under 'Discover'. Sure enough, it is full of New Releases similar to what the bell would provide me with. Would a fully functional bell do a better job for true music fanatics? Yes, it would. Is this a workable alternative? Yes, it is.

Thank you Spotify, I'm just happy to see some progress.

Second Edit: It's actually pretty good, I understand everybody's anger- but really, give this thing an honest shot. I can't fault it so far. It's very easy to jump from a single track in the playlist to the album or EP, and then back again. In some ways, it might actually prove better then the bell.

The biggest mistake Spotify made was removing the bell prematurely. Maybe there were reasons for doing this, I don't know. A little bit of transparency and communication goes a long way.

Suggested posts