Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

30-second song previews on desktop and mobile app

30-second song previews on desktop and mobile app

Before when I go to discover songs and hold the play button it would preview a piece of the song.

Now, it doesn't do that anymore. It's not my computer because I just reinstalled Windows.

Edit: both desktop (Windows) ánd mobile (iPhone) app.

21 Replies

Hey there @winmodify, welcome to the community!

Thank you for pointing this bug out. I'll be escalating this issue to the developer team.

If you can, please provide the following:

Spotify Username:

Operating System:

Operating System 32-bit or 64-bit:

Do you have a service back installed:

Spotify Version:

Internet Service Provider & Country:

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

FYI - I had to manually enable the "hold to preview" in the developer options to get the previews to work on the iOS app.

On the Windows desktop app though, it either works on the very odd song, or it doesn't work at all. No idea if it's supposed to work on the web app (though I imagine the web app and the desktop app are probably loading the exact same code).

Hi Merik, thanks for your reply,

Spotify Username: winmodify

Operating System: Windows 8.1 pro

Operating System 32-bit or 64-bit: 64-bits

Do you have a service back installed: I think you mean service pack? I have the most recent updates so far

Spotify Version: 0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c

Internet Service Provider & Country: Ziggo, the Netherlands

Thanks in advance,

Roeland

With version 0.9.12.10.g89b2a4fc it now works again on my PC 🙂

Unfortunally on my iPhone 5 with spotify version 1.6.0.1746 it doesn't work yet.

@winmodify wrote:

With version 0.9.12.10.g89b2a4fc it now works again on my PC 🙂

Unfortunally on my iPhone 5 with spotify version 1.6.0.1746 it doesn't work yet.

Sorry for the late response and thanks for your replies! Glad to hear it's working again on your PC. I'm still awaiting a response to hear about the iPhone client. 🙂

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

I'm having the same problem on the Desktop version - it works on in the Browse App - in the "Overview", "Top Lists", "New Releases" sections. But, it won't work in the Discover section?

Note: I wouldn't really expect it to work in the "Genres & Moods" or "News" sections - and it doesn't - that's fine.

But, I very much liked it in the Discover section - which is smaller now but without the 'push play icon and hold' to Preview = then going back to whatever you we're listening to is one of the Features I used regularly - and I'd like it to work again - Please?

I know "Discover" got kinda 'outta hand' - as it would just go on & on, and I'm okay with it stoppping at a point as long as I can get it to reload a new selection of (semi-random?) suggestions - but the 'press and hold preview' is a must-have for "Discover" = IMO.

@winmodify wrote:

Before when I go to discover songs and hold the play button it would preview a piece of the song.

Now, it doesn't do that anymore. It's not my computer because I just reinstalled Windows.

Hey folks! I can confirm the preview button has been removed from the Discover page. 

As always, we want your feedback though. Feel free to post it here or to make feature requests/ changes here in the Ideas Board. Thanks everyone!

@meahtenoha wrote:
Hey folks! I can confirm the preview button has been removed from the Discover page. 

As always, we want your feedback though. Feel free to post it here or to make feature requests/ changes here in the Ideas Board. Thanks everyone!

Errrr... why? Yet another bizarre decision. The preview button was perfect for the Discover page. I don't see why it needs to go to the Ideas board to discuss bringing it back as I don't think anyone was complaining about the feature in the first place!

What the actual "F"?  Glad I cancelled then.  What kind of thought process do you go through when instead of fixing something that used to work, you pretend it's a new feature and put it in the idea hat for later conversation?

I also don't get it. I posted this bug, and the solution is to take out the whole possibility? it worked before.. whats the reason?

I would agree with Swanny, I dont understand why this feature was removed.  I thought it was a great and clever idea to have. I could be listing to music and "discover" new music by listening to that preview and if I didnt like it I would just release it and go back to what I was listening. 

I really think your app is great.... but this was really not a good decision.

Hope you take it in consideration to add it back.

@meahtenoha wrote:

@winmodify wrote:

Worst decision yet!

Can I While playing a song in the speaker can I preview the next song on my headset without interrupting the sond that I'm listening on my speaker

As far as I know there isnt a way.... However I have thought about this before and it would be great if Spotify considered it.  Post it in the request and hopefully we get this feature..

take care!

Thanks for posting. Crazy this functionality was removed.

Im so mad this was one of my favourite features of spotify and I dont know why you guys would to this... I think I'll have to cancel my subscription if this doesn't change and get apple music instead 😞

Why would you get rid of this feature?

I used this feature constantly and now I have to manually skip through a song to get a preview... this was perhaps my favorite feature of spotify, not sure why'd you remove this.

Please please please add the preview back it made finding music so much easier and quicker 

Suggested posts