Duo Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 64-bit

My Question or Issue

For month of May Spotify intermittently will not add to the queue. I can play music, but when I click the 3-dot menu and select "Add to queue" for an album/song, I get "Oops, something went wrong...[blah, blah]"  This happened frequently with the standalone desktop program, so I switched to the Windows Store app 2 weeks ago, but it continued. Sometimes it works 10-15 minutes later. Sometimes it will work if I use the web player (which DOES add to the queue), then switch back to the desktop app. Today (01JUNE2021) I had to use the web player to prime the process.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

SOLUTION (maybe). I finally remembered that two months ago, I tried just *playing* instead of adding to the queue. This sort of "primed the pump". I was immediately able to add to the queue again. Give it a try, @ghrasko.  My theory is that altering the account somehow affects the client. I won't post again unless the problem recurs. More details in case others are having this issue:  the controls at the bottom of the Home page (or any page) will display a song name and artist name on the left side of the media controls. If nothing is in the queue, this is a random song apparently generated based on my listening habits. When the queueing won't work, the desktop app doesn't display anything there. The web version still displays the song I was listening to about 16 hours ago. Clicking on the Queue button in lower right corner of screen displays the message: "Add to your queue" followed by instructions and the command button "FIND SOMETHING TO PLAY". 

Also, my apologies to CarlosE. The lengthier response which did not post contained the information of what I had done. When I was able to post again, I put in a more succinct version. (The posting issue is related to the reCAPTCHA process, as noted.) I also have tried dropping the shields in my browser, Brave, which seems to have helped.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hi there @pilchbo,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

As a first step, try logging out, restarting your PC, and logging back in. If that doesn't make any difference, it's worth running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. Those are very thorough and can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. We suggest downloading the app again from the Microsoft Store.

If the issue persists, try clearing the hosts file by following the steps in this guide. Even though its title is related to another topic, you'll find the steps to follow there, and they may be helpful in this occasion.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I didn't mention that I had basically done all of that--except I didn't log out before quitting Spotify--including the uninstall/reinstall of Spotify for Win10 from the Windows App Store. I will try logging out first when this occurs in the future...and I think it will since a web search shows that people have been complaining about it since 2015. I'll also archive the host-clearing instructions.

Hi @pilchbo,

Thanks for your reply.

Give those suggestions a try and keep us in the loop on how it goes. We'll be right here in case you need further assistance.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Hi, I did everything described above, but did NOT help: logout, deinstall, delete folders (there was no in local or roaming), re-download, install, login...
What else should I try?

Hi there @ghrasko,

Thank you for your reply and for the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far.

Can you run the app in Safe mode to see if the issue persist?

It would also be great if you can have someone log in with their account on the device - such as a friend or a family member? This will have us understand if it's account related or not.

On another note, does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

testing. I've typed a response twice and it has failed to post.

I have had no issues for 2 months, but today I changed my membership from Duo to Single, and it has started all over again. I will update in future.

Hi @pilchbo,

Thank you for your reply.

If you're having issues posting on the Community, you can try using a different browser or an incognito window. 

On another note, it's odd the queue issue came back after changing your subscription. Please start with the basics, which is performing a clean reinstall, trying the website/Windows Store version and following the rest of the steps. 

Keep us posted!

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I truly get the feeling that you're not even reading what we post here. I *did* reinstall, etc., as mentioned in my last post. (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you posted about my posting problem before I obviously was able to post.) Here is where it stands, and then I'm not posting anymore today about it:  after logging out, uninstalling, rebooting the computer, and reinstalling the desktop app, the only change is that now my entire library has disappeared too!  I have also launched the app on my phone and it also cannot add to the queue. It *does* have the library however. The only place Spotify is working properly is in the web version. (And the web version is a very unsatisfactory way to use Spotify.) I have just now downloaded and reinstalled the desktop app (after first logging out of the web player) and the library is back...but adding to the queue doesn't work. 

I just now had to try three times to post to the above. It is an issue with the Recaptcha verification, which fails.

Obviously it finally worked.

Hey @pilchbo,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We know that you did that the first time you reached out to us, but it wasn't clear if you tried it again this time, so it's always good to clarify that from the beginning as those are the basic steps to start troubleshooting an issue like this.

Since this is also happening in the mobile app, we'd like to check if this is rather an account-related issue. To do so, could you log in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's, on your devices to see if this behavior persists?

Additionally and if possible, try using a different connection, like another WiFi network or a mobile hotspot to see if the issue persists with that.

Regarding the issue posting in the Community, did you try using a different browser and incognito mode? You can also give it a try from a different device.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Marked as solution

SOLUTION (maybe). I finally remembered that two months ago, I tried just *playing* instead of adding to the queue. This sort of "primed the pump". I was immediately able to add to the queue again. Give it a try, @ghrasko.  My theory is that altering the account somehow affects the client. I won't post again unless the problem recurs. More details in case others are having this issue:  the controls at the bottom of the Home page (or any page) will display a song name and artist name on the left side of the media controls. If nothing is in the queue, this is a random song apparently generated based on my listening habits. When the queueing won't work, the desktop app doesn't display anything there. The web version still displays the song I was listening to about 16 hours ago. Clicking on the Queue button in lower right corner of screen displays the message: "Add to your queue" followed by instructions and the command button "FIND SOMETHING TO PLAY". 

Also, my apologies to CarlosE. The lengthier response which did not post contained the information of what I had done. When I was able to post again, I put in a more succinct version. (The posting issue is related to the reCAPTCHA process, as noted.) I also have tried dropping the shields in my browser, Brave, which seems to have helped.

Hi there @pilchbo,

Thanks for getting back in touch with that info!

We're glad to know that it was sorted out and thanks for sharing what worked for you, as it can be helpful for other users too.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

I'm marking this Solved. I think part of this issue is the peculiar "feature" of Spotify that "playing" music is different than "adding it to the queue". Yet despite this, everything that is scheduled to play is called "the queue". For example, do this: find an album you like. Click the big green play button located just under the album cover.  Now that the first song is playing, go to a second album and click the 3-dot menu to the right of the Play, Favorite, and Download buttons. On that menu select "Add to queue". Then go to the "queue" of music. You will see the songs for the second album appear immediately *after* the song which is currently playing--THEN the rest of the music from the first album will appear! BUT...while looking at the queue, choose one of the songs from the *first* album and click the 3-dot menu at the far right. You will see "Remove from queue" even though it obviously is not *queued*. 

To repeat the solution: if you are having trouble getting the app to Queue some songs, first *play* some songs to sort of "prime the pump" with music. Now try queueing. (Also, I never did try just queueing *one* song. Who knows?)

Hey @pilchbo,

That's right. Whenever you start playing something, you can check the Queue to see what's coming next. For example, if you're playing just an album, then you'll see in the Queue the other songs of that album. If it's a playlist, then the songs from that playlist.

When you add something to the Queue, that content will be played next immediately after the song that's currently playing, and that's how the Queue works. Once the content you added to the Queue ends, it'll continue playing whatever that was in the Queue before you added content to it.

You can remove any content from the Queue so it won't be played, regardless of whether it has been added by you, or was added automatically. You can also move the songs on the Queue to your liking so you decide what's playing next and in which order. More info here.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts