Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Win10] Spotify client won't open and can't uninstall

Solved!

[Desktop][Win10] Spotify client won't open and can't uninstall

Starting this morning I am unable to open my Spotify client and I can't uninstall it either, even after rebooting into safemode. I've deleted the .../AppData/Local/Spotify folder. I don't have BitDefender (or any 3rd party virus software) so that's not the problem. Every time I start the application a new Spotify process is started and maxes out the cpu core it's running on. It appears based on the date in the "Remove Programs" screen that it was automatically updated yesterday. Seems unlikely that this is a coincidence.

How do I force delete the program so I can reinstall from scratch? Or - what else can I try?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Sovled it for myself. Hopefully works for all of you.

In AppData, go to local and delete the spotify folder, go back to AppData folder and go to roaming and delete the spotify folder. 

Download the latest version from spotify.com and it will all work again.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

I have the same problem (but on Win7) and it's frustrating.

Any solutions?

Having the same issue, starting today, on Windows 7. Won't launch, and the process is running in task manager, but I can't see anything. It also won't uninstall, even in safe mode.

It is listed as an exception in my firewall and my antivirus is not blocking it. I've cleared the storage appdata folder.

Same problem, Started yesterday after an auto update. Won't open, cant uninstall, maxes out CPU core the whole thing.

Marked as solution

In AppData, go to local and delete the spotify folder, go back to AppData folder and go to roaming and delete the spotify folder. 

I had deleted the AppData/Local but not AppData/Roaming. The latter did the trick! Thanks!!!

It works.

Thank you!

Thank you... Tried everything nothing worked for me but this. \m/Thanks\m/

wow thank u so much driving me insane lol

This fixed it for me too, thank you jake7732!

it  keep saying this action can't be completed because the file is open in an other program which is not.

@jake7732 wrote:

Thanks! This did the trick.

I WENT INTO ALL OF THE ABOVE BUT SPOTIFY IS NOT IN ANY OF THEM SO COULD NOT DELETE

I Had the same issue. Deleting Local worked (i couldn't delete roaming) but re-installed from fresh and its working again. Thanks 🙂

Suggested posts