Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to import spotify songs to another music player?

How to import spotify songs to another music player?

When I use Xbox Music, it downloads the songs in an available fashion that I can go in and add my songs to a different music player, which makes it very easy for me because I have a mixture of FLAC files that I copied from CDs that I own, but of course, I cannot afford every album I wish to buy, so I want to use spotify, because it has a better streaming rate than Xbox Music. This is pretty crappy, because Spotify doesn't support FLAC files, so I cannot play my FLAC music from the Spotify player. Is there a way for me to play my spotify music from another media player? (i.e. MediaMonkey/Windows Media Center/FooBar 2000) 

4 Replies

Doubtful.  Foobar for sure not, MediaMonkey, pretty sure not.  I've never used Windows Media Center to play local files, but you could try adding it into the Local Files preferences.  But since there is no FLAC support in the player, I'd have to say very unlikely.

If its any consolation, you can quickly convert to MP3 using dBpowerAmp and the Helix encoder.  Its a lot lot faster than LAME.

Well the issue is that the downloaded cache's of the songs are like... useable files? They're this whack file format that only spotify can read, so I can't import them. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I have no idea. I did a mod so that WMC can play FLACs, and it would be awesome if Spotify cached real audio files, but I guess not, thanks though.. guess I got to keep up with buying CDs

tigman9 wrote:

Well the issue is that the downloaded cache's of the songs are like... useable files?

Only usable by Spotify.  As far as I know, each are bits of songs in the ogg format Spotify streams, or more acurately, Spotify users stream via P2P.  I've never tried renaming them to an ogg extension them playing them.  Other than the curiousity factor, not much point in doing so, since they wouldn't be complete.  Try clearing your cache, then play one song only.  You'll find several files in the cache, rather than a single one.

Spotify tracks are DRM'd (encrypted) for copyright protection reasons, so you can't just play them as normal ogg files.  But Spotify does allow third party apps to play their music- for example the playlists.net app for iphone.  They need to use the spotify APIs (or speak the "spotify language",so to speak), and you need to be logged into to spotify via those apps.  I'm not aware of any programs that will read from your spotifty cache, though.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Suggested posts