Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Huge CPU Usage - any reaction from Spotify?

Solved!

Huge CPU Usage - any reaction from Spotify?

Hey, guys, I have my CPU running hot as vulcano!

100% busy when Spotify is on.

Does anybody know where to get the version which is stable and does not take up all CPU to itself? Although memory usage is ok at ~40MB.

My system is Windows 7, 32 bits.

I've been looking for any reaction from Spotify team, but could not find anything.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You can hide the bar by going to View > Untick "Show People List" but I am not sure if that will stop it refreshing in the background. If you have a dedicated Spotify account, you could try disconnecting from Facebook from the Edit > Preferences > Social Network > Disconnect from Facebook option. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

43 Replies

Same problem here, Spotify uses too many CPU...not sure why, its only music....

Any fix anyone?

My laptop shows CPU usage 0-5% while streaming. Memory about 60MB.

Windows 7 32bit

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

So this needs to be some conflict somewhere that its burning the CPU with full throttle or something. Odd.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

My desktop uses 0-3% of CPU whilst streaming, and around 160MB of RAM. 

Your Spotify must be doing something very intensive to generate that much processing. Are you free users? Could be the flash advertisements.

You also might want to try reducing your cache size in the Preferences menu inside the desktop client, it could be your client is doing a lot of peer to peer communications in the background.

Peter

Peter

According to the task manager, Spotify uses about 0 to ~50% CPU usage (Quadcore ?!) and RAM usage about 400 MiB to 1.1 GiB 

edit:

It seems that spotify doesn't release the unused RAM properly. If you click radomly through some apps the amount of used RAM will increase fast but doesn decrease after switching apps.

Disabling all "local data features" and ereasing all local imported playlists (iTunes/WMP) boosts speed intense (playback and startup).

atm RAM usage about 200 MiB.

Spotify Premium

AMD Phenom II X4 955

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

FiiO E07K

Could not find anywhere else to ask this except for here as this fits my problem, This new Activity thing on the right side of spotify jumped the kb use of spotify from around 30k to 140k at this update that auto-installed itself as i started spotify today, Is there any way to shut that Activity bar on the right side, Off ? , I don't care what others are listening to, Tho i do care that spotify now uses about 3 - 4 times as much cpu usage. When ya add new things to spotify, Please add an simple button whatever in the options menue whatever, So people can set-up their spotify just the way they want. Not everyone is running the latest technology ya know.

Marked as solution

You can hide the bar by going to View > Untick "Show People List" but I am not sure if that will stop it refreshing in the background. If you have a dedicated Spotify account, you could try disconnecting from Facebook from the Edit > Preferences > Social Network > Disconnect from Facebook option. 

Peter

Peter

Ain't got facebook, Nor has it ever been activated on spotify, Whenever i start spotify it freezes my computer cuz of that new thing on the right, There needs to be put an option to have that thing on or not.. What's the point i keep paying for unlimited/premium if i can barely use spotify all due to that new bar without an option to shut it off? 😕  It slows down my computer sooo bad 😞 Can't play any games while spotify is on now anymore, Everything was perfect before.. Now i just feel like rippin my hair or thrash something >_>

Also just re-newed my subscription and now it skips thru the songs at 100% on Hardware acceleration OFF , and sometimes when it's marked "ON" , The solution was to turn it OFF, before.. but now its makeing it skip thru tracks at 100% instead of 0.. what are they up to !? ..

From what I can tell, it's the option in preferences to turn on/off the "What's New Page"

With the page enabled: ~14% CPU

With the page disabled: ~2%

sorry, i meant to say the "Music Announcements on What's New Page"

Since the last update I've found it is fine on Win 7 but has killed my iMac - sat at 100% all the time, not just as the app loads.

I'm on a mac and it jumps around a lot - anywhere from 3 to 9%, averaging around 4%. But I haven't seen it spike much higher than that.  RAM use seems high, but similar to itunes (around 380MB).

I'm AMAZED there's no cohesive response from Spotify on this.  For every one of us who is posting here, there are HUNDREDS of users who are thinking about quitting Spotify, or who have already, because it is just too slow, or because they realize it's using WAY too many resources on their machine for a MUSIC PLAYER. 

Spotify folks, we love your app, when are you going to respond and let us know how you're working to slim it back down?  We want options (preferences) to slim our own app so we arent' using our CPU/memory to run your ads and do your data processing...

Mac os x 10.6.8 2.8 ghz intel core 2 duo

Cpu 100 to 190 (horrible)

RAM about 250-300

I agree, this is unacceptable! Mine sits on 30% cpu on an i7 quad macbook retina.

In terms of battery life, the difference between having spotify on or off is the difference between 8 hours and 2 hours!!!!! What the flying fork? Switching to private session doesn't help, disabling music news from the start page and switching to offline mode doesn't work (apparenlty, spotify works in the way that each client is streaming music to other clients so as to take load off the central spotify servers). 

This worked for me. Now nothing is tickd on Lical Files section.

Are you noticing the high CPU usage only when the Activity Feed doesn't load?  The 0.9.8.270 beta version I've played with seems to address this.  

I've tried turning everything off that everyone in this thread has suggested, and right now Spotify is taking 74% of my cpu, which is ALOT higher than usual. It's usuall 30%, which is still too much in my opinion. I can run youtube more safely than I can spotify. My friend also uses spotify and says he's been having problems with it for a while too.

I really hope they fix this, I cant figure out what's causing this.

Suggested posts