Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Moving Local Files

Moving Local Files

Currently all my local music files are under D:\My Music.  I will be moving everything to V:\My Music.  What's the best way of preventing Spotify (Windows) from freaking out and messing up my playlists (a mix of local and online tracks) and offline playlists (also a mix of local and Spotify tracks) which have been synced to my mobile devices?

9 Replies

i believe adding the new File Location for your Local Files through Spotify preferences would be the best way.

Do you have any experience with this? Or are you guessing? Not to sound harsh but I'd like to avoid spending hours relinking/rebuiding playlists if at all possible.  How will your suggestion handle local files in playlists which have multiple identical artist/song tags in my library (different versions of the same song).  Will it link on the unique album/track #/artist/song combo?

@NeilN wrote:

Do you have any experience with this? Or are you guessing? Not to sound harsh but I'd like to avoid spending hours relinking/rebuiding playlists if at all possible.  How will your suggestion handle local files in playlists which have multiple identical artist/song tags in my library (different versions of the same song).  Will it link on the unique album/track #/artist/song combo?

is the V: Drive an External Drive? if so, it'll mess up if you unplug it while attached there via Spotify.

V: is a NAS drive.  It will always be connected.

@NeilN wrote:

then it'll transfer just fine. just remove the local file location under preferences and change it to wherever it is on the V: drive

I've moved files to a different computer with different folder structure and they imported into playlists just fine, though you may have a few tracks here and there that will not.  Like Michael said, just change your default Local Files folder[s]. 

When you change file names you'll run into trouble.  Sometimes changing file TAGS will cause problems too, but seldom.  Best to change them within Spotify if you have to.  I use Tag Scanner to tag all my files BEFORE I place them in the import folder.  Its a nice, full featured freeware program.

@MichaelJerzak wrote:

@NeilN wrote:

then it'll transfer just fine. just remove the local file location under preferences and change it to wherever it is on the V: drive

I see an "Add Source..." button in the Local Files section but where do I change/remove an existing source?

You have to move your local files yourself and add the new location so Spotify can find them. Restarting spotify once the files have been moved will force a rescan.

I copied the files to the new location, wiped my Local files, and the added the new location.  All my playlists were left intact except for Van Morrison tracks (which I always have problems with, locally or syncing to mobile).  Thanks.

Suggested posts