Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify quits by itself every time I open it.

Spotify quits by itself every time I open it.

My spotify quits after 3 seconds every time I open it both on my computer (windows) and on my iPhone. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled the program on both devices and the same problem still happens. I got the Spotify Premium and it has always worked as it is supposed to before this. WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS?!... I do not intend to pay for this if it doesn't work..

59 Replies

Same problem for me too.  Im on Windows 8.1, have been a Premium subscriber for years and this is the first time I've hit this particular issue.

Spotify will load up if I'm quick enough to change it to offline mode but will immediately crash when it attempts to do anything that involves the net once I switch back to Online mode

I have uninstalled/reinstalled but no joy.  The web player works fine as does the mobile client - just the desktop.  Has been an issue for a fortnight or so.  I'm 99% certain it was working after I recently updated to Windows 8.1.

@Peter, I don't have another Spotify account, and the app is never open long enough for me to log out of the account that is automatically logged in.

Thanks!

If you guys are using Windows, can you try launching Spotify from a command line using:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

If you aren't familiar with how to do this, easiest way is:

- Press Start.

- Type "run" and hit return. You should get a little "Run" dialogue.

- As long as your Spotify is installed in the default location, copy and paste the command above into the box (clear whatever is in it first).

- Press OK. Spotify should launch.

And see if the client will start online? 

Peter

Edit: Adding steps

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter

That seemed to do the trick.  Would you mind explaining the issue?  And will I need to do this every time?

And thank you for helping, very much appreciated!

Hi, Peter!

Thank you, but I have no idea what you just said, nor did I understand anything when I used that link or whatever it was.. (noob..) Computers as u can see is not my strongsuit, haha. Still though, tnx.

And @greg is working really hard to help me.. but sh*t looks dark..

I've received word this evening a new version of the client is starting to roll out, so I am hoping that will solve a number of these issues, so hit the restart to upgrade banner as soon as it makes it to you! Until then, you will need to launch Spotify with those flags each time 😉 

With Spotify v0.9.4.x the underlying framework of Spotify was updated which includes GPU acceleration for the first time. This change however has seemed to cause some issues on web-view rendered pages for a small number of users, most likely related to driver incompatibility or other software issues I would guess. 

@Hege321 - If you are using Windows Vista or 7, if you click on the Start button, then type "run" and hit enter, you should get a little run dialogue. Make sure Spotify is not already running. Copy and pasting what I had above into that box and hitting okay should launch Spotify with those extra flags. 

Peter

Peter

Using windows 7, yes. Thank you very much for your help, but unfortunately the stupid program still shuts down.. Getting frustrating.. And Greg also deleted/removed my playlists to see if that was the problem (said he could put them back though) so now I don't even care using the webplayer, cause I ain't got no playlists.. haha. Kinda sad and funny at the same time. But really though.. it sucks.. I really hope they can fix this soon.. cause I'm paying for this bs (that I secretly still love at the moment..) and I REALLY want it back.. Sure they're trying to find the problem though. Thanks again, doll 🙂

Just kind of a band-aid solution to a problem from Spotify programmers. Or am I wrong.  Is there a way to pemanantly alter the perameters that the exe file operates i.e. the ones in your solution? It works but is not a working solution since it requires executing through the run prompt.  

Or in other words, is there something as a paid customer that I need to do to make up for shortcomings in the compatibility of Spotify to my Windows 7 OS? 

@LoganTravis You can add those parameters to the spotify shortcut itself.

Hi Peter

No, the 'cut and paste commend" of the below into the Start /Run area of Windows does not make any difference. Guess I'll just have to suck it up that I pay my premium instalment of $11.99 a month and Spotify only works properly on my mobile devices, eating up my mobile data plans - I'd much prefer to be using it on wifi (not always possible) or on my PC (unlimited data).

A

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

Guys! Ive had the same problem! However, I took

"%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background"

and I put it in a text document and changed the file type to a .bat instead of a .txt and if you open spotify through that its easier than going to RUN and putting it in every time. So just do that and put it on your desktop. Works perfectly.

Hi, mine works for about 20seconds of a song playing then quits. I'm on windows 8, so not sure how you get a run command prompt. Any help much needed.

Using super (the windows key on the keyboard) + r should open a run prompt on most versions of Windows.

Peter

Cheers this helps alot. I've just heard the first song from start to finish thanks

I take it I have to repeat this everytime I want to use spotify?

Until they fix the issue it would be sensible yes! 😉

Peter

Thank you!! it did work 

it worked, thanks

Thanks dude!

But can i put an desktop-icon like this.

if dont, i have always to put the coomand in the run-task..!?

thx for help

Neither of these solutions fixed any lag issues. The volume slider lags. The track slider lags. It lags when skipping through songs.

Suggested posts