Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 17

Solved!

error code 17

How to resolve your error code 17 on window 7, it been 2 and a half months and you still have not resolve this situation.

88 Replies

I have been struggling for weeks,windows 10 right click on spotify icon window appears click troubleshoot compatability,follow instruction given,jim

Marked as solution

In my case, the reason I can't install/update spotify was because of a software restriction policy that prevents executables from running when they are located in the AppData folder. The workaround for my situation is this.

- Download the full Spotify offline installer (http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe)

- Run the offline installer. It will run for a bit then fail with an errorcode 17 error. Now even if you got the error, it should still have unpacked the files and placed it on your corresponding Appdata folder. If your Windows username is JDoe, your files will be on "C:\Users\JDoe\AppData\Roaming\Spotify".

- After locating your Spotify files in your AppData folder, copy the whole Spotify folder out into another folder on your drive. For simplicity, you can copy it to your C drive. So your files will be "C:\Spotify".

- From here, go into "C:\Spotify" and run the Spotify.exe file. Once Spotify shows up, pin program to Taskbar. Enjoy!

Thank you - this is the ONLY solution that works for me for error code17.

Spotify should hire you - the fact that they don't fix this (I'm a paid subscriber) is ridiculous.

By the way, I randomly need to redo this fix, and of course, anytime Spotify forces an update.

So, thank you again - you are the best!

Thanks Finch204

A solution that finally works. I wonder if that would have been the solution all those months ago?

MInd you, a year or more without Spotify and I've barely noticed. I was using YouTube a lot but that's got flakey as well now it uses HTML5

And now XP support vanishing, so I expect I need to make the most of the next few days 🙂

Knitting takes on a more attractive proposition every passing day....................

Finally. This is the only solution that worked. XP compatibility mode - downloaded and started straight away

i did as u said, but still...its doesnt work, it always says error code 17

@keithb wrote:

How to resolve your error code 17 on window 7, it been 2 and a half months and you still have not resolve this situation.

This is a one off solution starting in safe mode, i have to do this every time i try and log in, it &*^^*&%%^

you are my hero

Hi, and vice versa, also, if you are running it down "Windows XP Service Pack... " Compatibility Mode, you can get this Error 17. This was my case.

Then, thanks to this post, I unmarked the Windows XP compatibility mode and it started running normally.

Thank you for the helping posts... 

Joaquim (Barcelona)

Doesnt work at all on my laptop now, worked for a couple of times via safe mode, now installs in safe mode, but when restart in normal mode still error code 17, tried saving to local drive to avoid admin rights of laptop (JB hifi), but still does not work, have to run through phone, most annoying as harder to search and view.

This opens spotify for me with no error code 17, however, its a blank empty screen with no content???

To thoughts that still have this problem try downloading a early version and follow my steps if that still doesn't work download advised system care get the uninstaller delete all the files and try an early version our something u should be abil to by pass it like I did if it's worked for other pcs it should work with your other whys i don't know what to say because I don't know what I can't see

"Spotify" is a waste of time- like with the ongoing "Errror code 17"  which I had for nearly two years until it was eventually fixed from their end-It worked for a while but now all I get is a blank black screen--I get any music I want from "Youtube" now along with videos and with never ever any problem

What the **bleep**!

This worked for me, hopefuly for you too.

1. uninstall the app from your computer

2. go to spotify setup file and right click into "properties"

next, go to 'compatabilities' and select "windows xp (service pack 3)" on the                    compatability mode area.

3. Run setup

4. After setup is finished, go to spotify app,

and change the compatability to "windows 7"

Good luck.

Marked as solution

So after installing Windows 10 my Spotify wouldn't open anymore. Solution found! In the file explorer window, search %appdata%. Spotify should show up in the list that appears. Right click on Spotify and select Properties. Select Compatibility tab and make sure the box is unchecked for Compatability Mode: Run this program in compatibility mode for (drop down menu). Deselected this and presto! Launched right away. 🙂 

##- Please type your reply above this line -#
Awesome, cheers, working now, much appreciated

I've tried for months, can't get it to work properly.

I solved the problem !!!!

Delete any Java Version on your Computer

Reboot

Install latest Java version

Install Spotify without compatibility or something

Worked for me, good Luck 🙂

Thanks this worked!

Suggested posts