Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Multiple Speakers / Devices simultaneously

Now that connect is becoming available it would be nice to be able to connect to multiple outputs at the same time. For example I have 2 connect compatable speakers... it'd be great to have these in different parts of my house and be able to stream the same music to both.

I would suggest a maximum of 3 devices at the same time. This will allow for most scenarios to be catered for without streatching the bandwidth too much that it will degrade quality.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
bad_dolphin
Best solution we’ve found is to use Airplay. This has successfully allowed us to power up several Sonos speakers in remote locations in addition to our main system which is a seven channel speaker system going through a late model Denon receiver.
You can simultaneously play as many or as few devices that are connected to your wifi network as you like.

Specifically, from the Spotify app on your phone, touch the speaker icon by the song that is playing (you can pause the song and then hit play once you’ve selected your speakers if you prefer.) This takes you to a new screen that lists all the devices that are on your wifi network. But you can only select one at a time from here.

At the bottom of the list is a choice for AirPlay/Bluetooth. When you touch that icon, you go to a new screen listing all the devices connected to your wifi network again. But this time, you can select as many or as few as you want—problem solved for us!

Hope this works for you.
FrostyOfTheNort

@bad_dolphin:  Interesting.  I'll look at that option.

bad_dolphin
Let us know if it works for you!
formfranska
@bad_dophin
Thank you! Airplay sure seems to be the best workaround but doesn't it drain iPhone battery quicker than if I could do this in Spotify? Also, I'm wondering about the sound quality with Airplay... But this is what I'm gonna use until Spotify fixes this issue for sure 😊
Andy_P

@bad_dolphin

iPhone only I assume? No such option on my Android phone.

Teleloco

@Andy_P

On Android u can use a brand of speakers called energy multiroom. 

Alex
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Shaun_R

@Alex this is really disappointing. Such a basic feature that other platforms can do just fine (Google, Alexa, and AirPlay) but Spotify can't figure it out?! Instead we get a TikTok-style home tab that NO ONE ASKED FOR. Cool cool, I'm really glad I pay for this

Centium

I can't vote anymore so I'm leaving a comment that I'm also interested in this functionality that's been standard on other platforms for a decade or more... We don't need audiobooks with a half-baked UI. We need functionality and utility. Make what you have more attractive before you blow R&D money on something new.

savita-au

Yes, agree, it's hard to understand why Spotify, as large as it is, still has poor audio quality compared to Tidal, Qobuz, Apple, and others.

I haven’t cancelled yet because my catalogue (and children's catalogues) are all on Spotify, and they promised to provide lossless a few years back, so I keep thinking, "One more month...one more month......"; but still nothing....

For my own personal listening I've recently joined Tidal (in addition to retaining Spotify for the moment so my kids don't lose their library) 

How hard can it be when so many other streaming services are providing more enjoyable better quality Lossless audio?